Author Topic: Lockdown - has it made driving slower and drivers more courteous?  (Read 41554 times)

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
Re: Lockdown - has it made driving slower and drivers more courteous?
« Reply #500 on: 20 May, 2020, 09:02:35 pm »
I can't quite believe what follows given the amount of very obvious speeding we hear from home at the moment but...

Today I went for my first ride in many, many weeks. Traffic levels were high but the number of clear, wide passes was staggering. Loads and loads and loads of passes fully across the centre line, I had 5 of these in the first mile to Parkend.  I wouldn't expect that many in a full afternoon.  In 2 hours mostly on road I had:
2 bad passes by pickups pulling trailers
A dozen or so juveniles in 1 litre shopping trolleys (thumpin choonz) who could have done with leaving a wee bit more room.
1 wvm weaving across the road towards me distracted by phone/radio/satnav but he only veered a couple of feet in a full width road.
1 focus shaping up to overtake where there were cars parked in the oncoming lane. A small movement towards primary changed his mind and no verbal from him or girl in car as they passed.
That's it.  I've had worse doing a 500 meter round the block test ride after fettling something (before we moved to the forest).

I had Audis waiting for me to clear parked cars. I had BMWs giving way at narrow sections. I had a range rover give way at a give way line to my left as I crawled up hill to pass in front of him. Even the bus that overtook scraped tyres on the far kerb.

I reckon it's down to the lack of school run mums and taxis. Or pure fluke and it'll never happen again.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #501 on: 21 May, 2020, 10:41:49 am »
Long may it last! But there's no saying it will, so let's enjoy it while it does.  ;D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #502 on: 21 May, 2020, 11:17:15 am »
I think it's all down to those drivers being less stressed because traffic levels are still (at least here in leafy Bucks) relatively low, they're less under pressure to get places / not hold other drivers up, so are generally more relaxed about having to pass NOW!
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #503 on: 21 May, 2020, 11:40:05 am »
And less traffic coming the other way means that there is more chance that when they can see far enough ahead, there will be a gap.
Rust never sleeps

Davef

« Reply #504 on: 21 May, 2020, 01:40:04 pm »
I think a lot of people have had a go at cycling during lockdown and are perhaps being more considerate when driving.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Reply #505 on: 21 May, 2020, 01:45:21 pm »
I've hardly been on my bike but a brief visit to check the mothers car last night and had one of each

Bad two lads in some crap car roared up behind me at lights then went roaring off when they changed with the passenger gurning out the window at me... Be surprised if they are from the same house and paying attention to SD somehow.

Good. Cycling past a long line of cars. Look ahead and think why has that numpty double parked... I shouldn't be so quick to judge. Despite several gaps I could have pulled into they waited while I cycled past all the cars even though they had ROW. Big thumbs up as I went past.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #506 on: 25 May, 2020, 02:59:14 pm »
The A38 between Bristol and Gloucester seemed to have about as much traffic as a usual Sunday (which is not that much for an A road) but it was rather slower than normal. Lots of nice wide passes there and on the lanes, as well as outbreaks of – gasp! – people saying thank you! Except for the oncoming traffic in the lanes, which behaved as it normally does, ie most of it doesn't slow down.

« Reply #507 on: 25 May, 2020, 03:08:07 pm »
The A41 in and out of Aylesbury remains conspicuously quieter than normal times.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #508 on: 25 May, 2020, 06:03:07 pm »
It was good to see the variety and number of cyclists out and about. All the usual lycra types but others too. In the lanes somewhere south of Berkeley I saw a boy of about 10 wearing hi-viz vest and sloppily fitted helmet, followed about 50m behind by a similarly attired big sister. Great, the parents have got the kids to go out on their bikes on their own. But, oh, there's a littler one too, following behind (I guess he was about 7). And, oh, here are mum and dad on a tandem. So clearly it was a "cycling family" out for the day. In contrast, some miles further on in Elberton, I saw a group of four teenage girls on hybrids, no hi-viz or helmets, all ignoring social distancing (they were clearly not one household) but it's such an unusual sight to see on a rural B road, let's hope the good of cycling outweighs the hazard of proximity for them.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #509 on: 25 May, 2020, 06:03:22 pm »
I crossed the A303 at the Barton Stacey overbridge at about 9.30am yesterday.  Vastly less traffic than there normally would be on a Bank Holiday with fine weather.  Same crossing the M3 later.  There might be news stories about people packing the beaches but you wouldn't think it from the low traffic levels in North Hampshire.  People were generally more courteous but I think that's because there's zillions more cyclists about, of all shapes and sizes.  I must have passed thirty or so on the way back from Herriard when, even on a sunny Sunday morning I would probably have seen six.  It's hard to be hostile to something that has become mainstream.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #510 on: 25 May, 2020, 07:08:42 pm »
The short section of a40 I rode this afternoon was quite busy.  Could be much worse on a bank holiday though   :)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #511 on: 25 May, 2020, 09:29:57 pm »
The roads seemed much busier than they have been during my cycle to the beach earlier. And the queue at the KFC drive through was ridiculous - queueing right round the building and out onto the main road. I almost (almost - I'm not exactly a KFC fan) understand driving there to see if busy but I can't understand joining the queue when it's that long. Surely you'd just haven something else for dinner?!  ???
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #512 on: 26 May, 2020, 03:17:05 pm »
I rode past the KFC in Prestwich yesterday. I didn't notice the queue so I'm guessing it wasn't too bad but the smell of the food  :sick:
Strange what you don't realise until it's been gone for a while.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #513 on: 26 May, 2020, 04:20:52 pm »
I imagine that once Specsavers opens again there will be noticeably less traffic on the roads.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #514 on: 29 May, 2020, 02:13:43 pm »
I have to admit I have not been out on my bike during lockdown- I have not been anywhere at all other than for work (the stuff I cannot do at home), "outside" is mainly pottering in the garden or allotment at the moment.

However, I had to go away to a customer (essential industry) to deliver a block of basic safety training (practical elements = on site delivery) this week, it's a regular where I take Big Van and stay over (bed in the van) for a few nights. (In fact it's been more regular than usual as with COVID we are doing essential training with much smaller groups- in a very big room with the windows open).

Heading out late afternoon on Monday, once over the border into England it was quite a lot busier than previous lockdown trips to this customer. The traffic was the usual logistics (HGVs, vans), a handful of "working" types plus a bunch of what looked like families out for a drive (you can see into the cars and SUVs passing you when driving a Big Van). Heading home late last night it was usual mix of logistics and working traffic.

The thing I have noticed this trip is that there's 3 now categories:
1. The people involved in essential sectors that have been working throughout lockdown- mainly see HGVs and vans, generally driven courteously as they are part of a large chain with tracking. Also a few cars of key workers going to/from work.
2. The same handful of speedsters- high-spec usually VAG/BMW/Jag/Merc vehicle being hammered up the M-way.
3. A whole bunch of people who haven't driven anywhere since before lockdown started and are noticably very out of practise.

The ones in category 3 concern me most. Fortunately most of them seem to realise they are a bit rusty so being careful, but there's a significant minority who don't seem to have realised this.

I have noticed that other road users are being more courteous to cyclists- I am always careful and give a big gap when passing a cyclist, I've noticed that a big decrease in the number of following vehicles that "protest" at my plodding along behind a cyclist until there's a proper overtake gap. 

GC

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #515 on: 29 May, 2020, 02:31:09 pm »
I was expecting the roads to be a shambles this morning as companies have had a week or so to get their locations ready.
For example: I noticed the 2 tips I passed on the bike yesterday we all set up waiting for a very slow turnover of people dumping stuff.

But it wasn't much different from yesterday morning, or the morning before etc.

Guess Monday will probably be the real test.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #516 on: 29 May, 2020, 03:29:59 pm »
Our tip, which has little room for queues, opened on Tuesday. Online booking only.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #517 on: 30 May, 2020, 02:54:36 pm »
Did the commute yesterday, on the speedmachine.  Didn't notice any positive difference, in fact a big car dickhead decided to do a close overtake and then speed off into a 20mph zone.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #518 on: 04 June, 2020, 04:50:24 pm »
I wish there was a lot more of this.  Loss of a vehicle would be a much bigger deterrent than bans / fines / etc

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-52922353

"PC David Benson said the driver had "lost his vehicle and his bragging rights".
"In the meantime, a very powerful car has been taken off the public roads and, in all probability, saved lives," he added."

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #519 on: 25 November, 2020, 09:15:29 pm »
our (ex?)mate "ban cars" is walking his talk, props and more power to him as far as i'm concerned!

« Reply #520 on: 25 November, 2020, 09:34:42 pm »
out (ex?)mate "ban cars" is walking his talk, props and more power to him as far as i'm concerned!
thumbsup !!
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #521 on: 26 November, 2020, 12:41:50 pm »
+1
Good video