Author Topic: Sore knees  (Read 1188 times)

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
Sore knees
« on: 20 October, 2020, 06:28:01 pm »
I've been out for a few 'spirited' rides on 'Hilda, 60 km yesterday and 52 today, and I've been playing with the boom length a tad., extending it slightly. Now my knees are sore, across the tops, and my calfs ache a little bit, but not my thighs. Is my boom too far out? On an upwrong sore knees means saddle too low, too big a gear, but googling (bentrider online etc) they seem to suggest the opposite, i.e. soreacross the tops, boom too long. I have been trying to go faster, but also very aware of trying to keep spinning. I've done the heel on pedal thing, but that's only a starting point. Web suggests 75-90 % leg extension. I know it's a case of what works best , but.. I'm 6'2" and using 170mm cranks.  Thoughts please.

Re: Sore knees
« Reply #1 on: 20 October, 2020, 07:22:20 pm »
I can only really comment on calves. For reasons [misc] I chased the slow group round Hillingdon one year on my wife's TerraTrike.  We tried to set it up right correctly at 5 mins notice, but despite the upwrong miles I was getting done on my commute at the time, calves went by the end of the second race. The boom was just too far out and I should have taken a bigger brave pill in the morning.

Bentrider has it right I think, you may want to take a cm or 2 off and see how it feels for a couple of rides.
Cruzbike V2k, S40