Author Topic: Food budgets  (Read 6841 times)

Re: Food budgets
« Reply #75 on: 06 January, 2021, 06:38:02 pm »
Man, those meals seems really expensive and yeah the meat is a huge factor.

I've had lentil curry with rice the last 2 nights, all in probably less £1/meal. It was delicious and it satisfied me.

I probably spend more on beer than I do on food.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #76 on: 06 January, 2021, 06:45:58 pm »
I probably spend more on beer than I do on food.

What do you mean? Beer IS food!
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #77 on: 06 January, 2021, 06:50:09 pm »
Fair point, I just buy it separately, usually direct from a brewery - speaking of which www.magicrockbr...

ian

« Reply #78 on: 06 January, 2021, 06:52:05 pm »
I'm sure that I spend more on beer than food but I only drink it at the weekend or on special occasions. But I do have a lock-down G&T which isn't featured in my guesscalations. The duck curry was actually about £3/pp now I think about it (but the last time I had it was £17 in a restaurant and I think I did a fair facsimile). I could have gone down to the lake and spanged a duck over the head, of course, and it would have been cheaper.

I don't really think about what I buy, I was just testing the theory that it's cheaper not to make stuff. I don't feel especially decadent, it's not like I'm gorging on truffles, lobster, and caviar. Some things are best saved until to the weekend.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #79 on: 06 January, 2021, 06:56:37 pm »
Our booze budget is trivial. We hardly drink but bought wine as gift for Cleaning Lady and two 500ml bottles of Kopparberg for Christmas.

ian

« Reply #80 on: 06 January, 2021, 08:39:36 pm »
Hmm, I still have five cases of beer in the porch that doesn't yet fit in the house.

For the record, I don't especially like lobster or truffles, and I hate caviar. Eating a lobster is like a secret cinema version of Starship Troopers.