Author Topic: Food that I'll have nothing to do with  (Read 16210 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Food that I'll have nothing to do with
« Reply #100 on: 31 January, 2021, 09:21:45 pm »
I find this and the other thread interesting and odd.  Mainly on the lines of which I agree with.
I like fresh oyster, but not fresh ones are vile.

Uh?

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #101 on: 31 January, 2021, 09:32:17 pm »
I find this and the other thread interesting and odd.  Mainly on the lines of which I agree with.

Uh?
I parsed that as "I like oysters that are fresh. Ones that are not fresh, however, are vile."
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #102 on: 31 January, 2021, 10:36:03 pm »
I would always choose lamb over beef, and quite enjoy very slow cooked mutton. I've always been one for stronger flavours, and find some more modern lean cuts of meat quite bland.

That is because the flavour is in the fat.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #103 on: 31 January, 2021, 10:39:47 pm »

Uh?
I parsed that as "I like oysters that are fresh. Ones that are not fresh, however, are vile."

Yeah that.  Thought I was clear...oh well.

Fresh oysters are lovely, with a little lemon/lime.  While the 'fresh' oysters but aren't are like snot.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #104 on: 31 January, 2021, 10:45:08 pm »
Love fish. Love smoked fish. Do not love smoked eel. Do not love cod.
Don't fancy raw snotty oysters.
However, got persuaded in New Orleans to eat oysters Rockefeller (covered in butter and cheese and grilled)and then couldn't get enough of the buggers :P
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #105 on: 31 January, 2021, 10:47:57 pm »
When I was a child I spent a prolonged period in traction living on a combination of Hospital Food™

And now I've got Eels - Hospital Food as an earworm...
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #106 on: 31 January, 2021, 11:08:04 pm »
I do not like any smoked food. Not even smoked cheese.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #107 on: 31 January, 2021, 11:14:09 pm »
I do not like green eggs and ham.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #108 on: 31 January, 2021, 11:29:26 pm »
I will not eat baked beans, I just don't like them.

There is something about the texture of eggs that means I don't like them, poached, fried, scrambled, omelette it doesn't matter. They have to be combined with milk and flour before I'll eat them.

Finally for this first list is coconut, dry chewy, yuck. Your bounty bars are safe from me.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #109 on: 31 January, 2021, 11:41:30 pm »
I would always choose lamb over beef, and quite enjoy very slow cooked mutton. I've always been one for stronger flavours, and find some more modern lean cuts of meat quite bland.

The smell of lamb cooking used to make my dad ill, so I have that association. 

Love lamb on the BBQ, korai etc. 

While mutton slow cooked is lush.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #110 on: 31 January, 2021, 11:44:05 pm »

So I wonder why you don't like smoked foods?  Do you think that there is a reason?

Love smoked garlic, the smoking process smell reminds me of my aunts smoker, smoking garlic and cheese and store bought fish.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #111 on: 31 January, 2021, 11:45:13 pm »
Love fish. Love smoked fish. Do not love smoked eel. Do not love cod.
Don't fancy raw snotty oysters.
However, got persuaded in New Orleans to eat oysters Rockefeller (covered in butter and cheese and grilled)and then couldn't get enough of the buggers :P

Friend on Uist, sent me some locally smoked scollops that were lush.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #112 on: 31 January, 2021, 11:49:11 pm »
Boiled to death veg, not sure that is the texture of flavourless fluff.

« Reply #113 on: 31 January, 2021, 11:51:47 pm »
Cold fish

Cold fried fish1 ± mayonnaise/tartare sauce is often A Thing in Kosher noontime social eating (out of Covid restrictions). I'm quite partial to leftover suppertime breaded plaice cold, for lunch the next day.

I quite like fish salad: boiled fish in seasoned mayo, with a few vegetables.

1) Seasoned Matzo Meal & egg coating, fried in oil.

I just read about that in the Graun ! https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/jan/31/a-taste-of-home-claudia-roden-majestic-book-ofn-jewish-food
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #114 on: 31 January, 2021, 11:56:01 pm »

So I wonder why you don't like smoked foods?  Do you think that there is a reason?
Yes. It's the smoke. And the smokiness.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #115 on: 31 January, 2021, 11:58:40 pm »
Finally for this first list is coconut, dry chewy, yuck. Your bounty bars are safe from me.
Desiccated coconut is dry, chewy, yuck. It is completely unlike fresh coconut. I can barely believe it even contains coconut.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #116 on: 31 January, 2021, 11:59:58 pm »

Yes. It's the smoke. And the smokiness.

Hence I wonder, if my association with smoked food is a happy memory or if I like the taste.

Or am I over thinking this.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #117 on: 01 February, 2021, 12:02:49 am »
Desiccated coconut is dry, chewy, yuck. It is completely unlike fresh coconut. I can barely believe it even contains coconut.

You are right, and I agree with you.  In my life, dessiated and real coconut is a different thing.  Like coconut milk and the dried coconut that you add water to make coconut milk.  Still not sure what coconut milk is as inside coconuts is a clear fluid and not like milk.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #118 on: 01 February, 2021, 12:05:38 am »
No, your associations with smoking food at your aunt's are a good reason for you to like smoked food. But in my case, I just don't like the taste and smell. The first time I ate smoked cheese, I didn't know what sort of cheese it was. I'd never heard of smoking food. I expected to like it because it was cheese, but I didn't, and I still don't. About once every two or three years I try some and it's always the same!

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #119 on: 01 February, 2021, 12:59:50 am »
No, your associations with smoking food at your aunt's are a good reason for you to like smoked food. But in my case, I just don't like the taste and smell. The first time I ate smoked cheese, I didn't know what sort of cheese it was. I'd never heard of smoking food. I expected to like it because it was cheese, but I didn't, and I still don't. About once every two or three years I try some and it's always the same!

Good on you for trying.

Also liked the smell of the smoke, but must have been some wood from the area.  No idea what.  Still don't get smoked stuff having colour, smoking doesn't change the colour from my experience.   

I wonder about taste and foods and if it is a memory thing.  For quite a few years I didn't like spinach as my dad didn't.  But like wilted spinach, had boiling water poured over it.  Or steam when the leaves are still have some crunch.  Don't think spinach has any flavour.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #120 on: 01 February, 2021, 01:47:32 am »
I like but don't eat it owing to my cutetarian principals (cutetarians don't eat animals that look cute).

You think sheep look cute? TMI.

I think they have scary, soulless eyes. They are only marginally less malevolent-looking than goats.
I once read the book of revelations.
The lambs definitley deserve to be a component of both my jumper and my tea, evil little succubi.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #121 on: 01 February, 2021, 02:36:32 am »
I do not like green eggs and ham.
Do you prefer Fox in Socks?

ian

« Reply #122 on: 01 February, 2021, 09:52:00 am »
I like but don't eat it owing to my cutetarian principals (cutetarians don't eat animals that look cute).

You think sheep look cute? TMI.

I think they have scary, soulless eyes. They are only marginally less malevolent-looking than goats.
I once read the book of revelations.
The lambs definitley deserve to be a component of both my jumper and my tea, evil little succubi.

Lambs are fine till they metamorphose into sheep. It's the sheep that are evil, standing there plotting the overthrow of humanity. If you're alone in the field with them I hope you've written a will because you will not be seen again.

I can't say I remember eating mutton, but I'm sure I have. Everyone raves about foreign food, but on a lot of my travels in more distant parts of the world (and not as a famous chef and TV presenter) I've been served one of two things: red or brown, usually with a mountain of starch product. I don't know what is in either, but red is essentially spicier brown. The chewy bits could be any animal or a part of the cook. Anything that didn't quickly enough. Has anyone seen grandad? Oh look, they've given a double helping. You'll slog through to the end, smile gamely (and with secret relief) and someone will whisk away your plate and two seconds later another double serving will appear in front of you.

I used to laugh in parts of Africa when the Americans, usually, of the female variety, would opt for the salad. Less so when I discovered my room was next to the toilet and I had to listen to the symphony of shame that evening.

I can't do goat either, like the cheese it's got that signature goaty flavour. Game, I'll mostly avoid, purists will say it's got taste neglecting that it's not a nice taste. Tastes of death to me. I know it is dead, but it doesn't need to taste like it died several weeks ago and someone forgot about it.

ian

« Reply #123 on: 01 February, 2021, 10:51:34 am »
At the risk of offending people (bite me, losers), 'keto' stuff mostly seems foul, ingredients in the wrong proportions sprinkled with weird, and missing the important thing, the grand consolation of life. Blessed carbs.

What kind of life is that lacks the heavenly soft pillows of mashed potato? Or pasta, dripping silky sauce or noodles in a spicy broth? I'm sorry, but 'cauliflower rice' and 'courgette spaghetti' should be criminal offences with harsh sentencing recommendations.

Also gluten-free, which mostly seems a scam to sell nasty processed food in the guise it's somehow healthy to the gullible. I once got served gluten-free spaghetti. Ghastly extruded tubes of congealed wallpaper paste, but without the flavour. Even the sauce would have nothing to do it, preferring to sit in a sad puddle on the plate, saying why, ian, WHY? I don't know.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #124 on: 01 February, 2021, 11:56:44 am »
At the risk of offending people (bite me, losers), 'keto' stuff mostly seems foul, ingredients in the wrong proportions sprinkled with weird, and missing the important thing, the grand consolation of life. Blessed carbs.

What kind of life is that lacks the heavenly soft pillows of mashed potato? Or pasta, dripping silky sauce or noodles in a spicy broth? I'm sorry, but 'cauliflower rice' and 'courgette spaghetti' should be criminal offences with harsh sentencing recommendations.

(Makes note in Little Black Book)
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime