Author Topic: Food that I'll have nothing to do with  (Read 16030 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Food that I'll have nothing to do with
« Reply #50 on: 30 January, 2021, 06:44:16 pm »
Marmite
Blue cheeses (actually most cheeses, I really only like it cooked or occasionally a cheese and pickle sandwich)
Seafood
Fennel/aniseed/liquorice.
You are almost my David! We don't eat Marmite though it's in a jar somewhere but he does like soy sauce.

He's the same with cheese and aniseed/liquorice.

He likes prawns but little else in the way of seafood.

He doesn't like cinnamon, almond essence or desiccated coconut either...

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #51 on: 30 January, 2021, 07:07:44 pm »
I can't stand mint flavouring, especially in sweet things, though I'm OK with it in some savoury things, eg mint sauce with lamb.

Toothpaste is my nemesis. Brushing my teeth makes me gag. I've tried some non-mint toothpastes but it turns out they're usually worse in one way or another.  ::-)
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #52 on: 30 January, 2021, 07:10:16 pm »
You'd have loved the 'toothpaste' ice cream we had in Cuba then.
(I don't think it was supposed to be toothpaste but that's what it tasted of and looked like).
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #53 on: 30 January, 2021, 07:12:03 pm »
I must admit to not being a massive fan of those med/middle eastern creamy dips you get with mint in them.
Fucking love mint sauce though (probably cos it's drowned in vinegar).
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #54 on: 30 January, 2021, 07:22:12 pm »
I must admit to not being a massive fan of those med/middle eastern creamy dips you get with mint in them.
Fucking love mint sauce though (probably cos it's drowned in vinegar).

I like Raita/Tatziki.

Partner dislikes yogurt, quark and creme fraiche so we do not eat.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #55 on: 30 January, 2021, 07:37:28 pm »
There are very few foods I can't eat. And I've spent weeks in China.

But Rhubarb  :sick: :sick: :sick:

Re: China - one exception, the absolute worst thing I've ever had in my mouth is Stinky Tofu.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #56 on: 30 January, 2021, 07:55:41 pm »
Beetroot
Sweetcorn (on the cob or canned)
Curry of any variety (and I include pretty much anything native to the east of Venice)
Chillies
Smoked haddock
Kippers

ian

« Reply #57 on: 30 January, 2021, 08:30:59 pm »
I mostly don't get on with crustacea. Lobster is a bit meh, it's just a big prawn. People go mental over it, but really, it's just a big prawn. And little prawns aren't very exciting, so making them bigger isn't an improvement. As for dismembering an entire one, come on, that's straight out of a horror movie. I'm sure I've told the story of my date in Boston, where she wrenched open the recently deceased corpse of one of Maine's finest and splattered me with horrific green guts. She was wearing the little apron (and other clothes, of course, it's New England). I was wearing a nice shirt. That said, after decorating me with lobster anatomy, she pretty much had to take me home to apologize properly without the apron (or any other clothes). She even washed my shirt.

Crabs. I can live with the meat, some linguine, chili, lemon, and olive oil. But again, in the shell, good god. I use to get dragged to the crab shacks they have around the Chesapeake and downtown Baltimore. You know the bit at the end of Starship Troopers, it's basically that. Limbs and guts everywhere. Soft shell crabs, sure I'd like to eat an alien, who wouldn't.

And not, I'm not sucking the brains out of crayfish, not even if I'm surrounded by heavily-armed West Virginians encouraging me to do just that.

Stuff in shells, always tastes like chewy snot, costs a lot more than any kind of snot, and comes with a fair chance of the bonus final round in which you get to spend the rest of the night praying to the porcelain.

Raw fish, I can keep it down, but I can't think of a reason why I'd want to have to keep it down in the first place. The texture makes me feel sick. I can't do fatty food either, again it's the texture. I'm the life and soul of any meal in the far-east. That said, I remember the first time I went to Japan and I had a week of traditional meet and greet with the full ceremony and meals. On the last day, they took me for a Mexican. The best burrito of my life (OK, a lie, the best one was from a truck in LA, sat between law and disorder).

ian

« Reply #58 on: 30 January, 2021, 08:33:57 pm »

Re: China - one exception, the absolute worst thing I've ever had in my mouth is Stinky Tofu.

That's white devil torture in it's purest form. Did they offer you the eggs with the ready-to-hatch birds in them? I just raise them fish fingers. Yeah, I eat their fingers.

citoyen

« Reply #59 on: 30 January, 2021, 08:49:39 pm »
(I don't think it was supposed to be toothpaste but that's what it tasted of and looked like).

Sounds revolting!

ian

« Reply #60 on: 30 January, 2021, 08:51:40 pm »
Mushy peas. What idiot thought it would be a good idea to take a vegetable that is fine as it is, drown it until it's an insipid sludge, then serve it up with fish and chips? A drunk, northern one I presume...

Sorry, I love mushy peas. Served nuclear hot in a styrofoam cup with a dab of mint sauce and a splash of malt vinegar is perfection. You'd burn the top off your mouth till the skin hung there like a droopy hammock, but it was worth it, and you'd badger your mum for another 10p so you could do it again.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #61 on: 30 January, 2021, 09:25:17 pm »
Coffee
Liquorice

Struggling to think of what else I've come across and won't touch
Oh! Pocari Sweat

ian

« Reply #62 on: 30 January, 2021, 09:33:18 pm »
Aubergine. Charred slimy stuff or just slimy stuff. Someone will be here shortly to tell me it soaks up the flavours. How about you just give me the flavours and you can keep the aubergine. Go wild.

Oh, and as we're on slime, okra. I've never had a meal that's benefited from the additional of okra. Would you like to suck the slime off my fingers? No, old lady, I really wouldn't.

I love mint though, I made a huge bowl of raita (handfuls of mint and coriander, chopped cucumber, yoghurt, salt and ground cumin to taste) to go with my biryani last night.

Also, fennel is just about my favourite thing (the veg and its seeds). But I'm a liquorice allsorts fan. As mentioned elsewhere, sweet Italian fennel sausage is pretty much my ultimate food.

I like celery. I don't dislike celeriac, but it inflates my insides to 200 psi and I fart like someone punctured a hot air balloon with a javelin.

Marmite, I can't be bothered having an opinion on, it's the most boring of foods. It's a vaguely salty paste and a laboured marketing gimmick.

Anyway, it's the I don't like topic, so a shout out to stinky cheese (I've told you about the Cheese Dalek, haven't I? This could turn into an Evening With ian, a show I wouldn't buy tickets for*). the blue, the smelly, and otherwise oozy. I'm not clear why it's a good thing that my food smells like old socks or is riddled with mould. These are not things I typically seek out because I'm sane. And I love cheese (oh cheddar, sweet cheddar), so that kind of thing is a fromage heresy.

*ian's wife. Every night.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #63 on: 30 January, 2021, 09:46:30 pm »
Sounds revolting!

My Dad calls After Eight mints 'Chocolate toothpaste'...
Does Not Like!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #64 on: 30 January, 2021, 09:51:42 pm »
I am somewhat surprised that while ian can wax lyrical about mushy peas, he suffers dramatic inflation with baked beans.

Many foods inflate me...

citoyen

« Reply #65 on: 30 January, 2021, 10:18:21 pm »
Sounds revolting!

My Dad calls After Eight mints 'Chocolate toothpaste'...
Does Not Like!

After Eight mints are truly disgusting. It’s not just the mint flavour, it’s the sickly sweet, syrupy texture of the filling.

citoyen

« Reply #66 on: 30 January, 2021, 10:23:26 pm »
I love mint though, I made a huge bowl of raita (handfuls of mint and coriander, chopped cucumber, yoghurt, salt and ground cumin to taste) to go with my biryani last night.

That I don’t mind. Made with fresh mint leaves - which have a very different flavour to mint in confectionery. Or indeed mint in toothpaste.

I think being generous with the salt helps.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #67 on: 30 January, 2021, 11:25:01 pm »
Marmite, I can't be bothered having an opinion on, it's the most boring of foods. It's a vaguely salty paste and a laboured marketing gimmick.
I agree with this. I kind of like Marmite occasionally but when people say something is 'Marmite', well for me Marmite isn't 'Marmite'. It's more like the magnolia of food.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #68 on: 31 January, 2021, 10:21:56 am »
I agree with this. I kind of like Marmite occasionally but when people say something is 'Marmite', well for me Marmite isn't 'Marmite'. It's more like the magnolia of food.

Marmite has two functions for me:  On toast - or as a drink (teaspoonful and boiling water) ... the latter style of drink also works with Bovril or an Oxo cube.   I have a Marmite jar, now empty, that was a promo thing that a friend bought for me - it has my first name on the label in the style of Marmite.

BUT the current flavour of Marmite is nothing like it was 50 years ago - and even the "original" that they've been selling recently is but a shadow of the original.  [I realise that comment may be on a par with the diminishing size of Mars bars over the years]

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #69 on: 31 January, 2021, 10:42:42 am »
Oh! Pocari Sweat

That sounds like the start to a romantic poem by Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz

IME it's no worse than any other isotonic drink and has utility when you've been wandering around an FPSO off the coast of Indonesia for 3 hours wearing nomex overalls
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #70 on: 31 January, 2021, 11:00:11 am »
Pocari Sweat, Radical Sin Gas*.  These FOREIGNS need to up their game when naming soft drinks.

* Yes, I do know it’s the non-fizzy version of Radical

[“You forgot Irn-Bru” – Ed.]
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #71 on: 31 January, 2021, 11:03:48 am »
Most of mine have already featured but here goes

Celery- spit with string
Dates - prunes with hairs
Lamb - beef gone rancid
Goats cheese - cheese with the full farmyard
Baked beans - foul textured lumps in overly sweet sauce
Raisins in curry - pimples of pus

Nice.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #72 on: 31 January, 2021, 11:11:52 am »
There is very little in the way of foodstuffs that actually revolt me. I don't like fried liver, but I'm fine with liver in certain patés.

I tried anduoillettes some years ago in Gouarec and I wouldn't have them again, but they were part of a pizza and I suspect that most of what goes on the top of a pizza is pretty suspect.

When I was teaching I took a very splendid 6" length of smoked eel to eat for my lunch. I had caught and smoked the eel myself - it weighed over 2lb when I caught it and was about as thick as my wrist. The dark colour of the eel's skin and its general phallic appearance elicited a variety of unrepeatable comments from my colleagues.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #73 on: 31 January, 2021, 11:20:17 am »
Runner beans.  Used to like them, sautéed gently in butter with garlic, onions and bits of bacon. Then the Inlaw Paw's gut started playing silly buggers so we had them microwaved straight out of the freezer and I realized that 100% of the pleasure came from the butter, garlic, onions and bacon.  The damned things squeaked against your teeth, too; that was when they became squeaky clean misery beans. Haven't touched them since.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #74 on: 31 January, 2021, 11:23:37 am »
Quote from: FifeingEejit link=topic=118250.msg2588214#msg2588214 date=
Oh! Pocari Sweat

Which reminded me of Pet Sweat, an energy drink for dogs.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)