Author Topic: Food that I'll have nothing to do with  (Read 16212 times)

Re: Food that I'll have nothing to do with
« Reply #75 on: 31 January, 2021, 11:29:48 am »
Squeaky foods, like runner beans, but OK if sliced very thinly and cooked until soft. It's not the taste but texture.

Coriander, tastes like soap.
Chilli, just burns my mouth.
Mutton, smells bad, but lamb is fine.
Root ginger, eg sliced and cooked in dish, horrible sharp taste. But fine if used in very small amounts as a flavour in a dish. Different from the ginger in ginger biscuits etc which are fine.
Bitter melon (kugua), well it's very bitter.

Nothing else, I think.

Actually there's also foods I wouldn't cook myself but will eat if someone else has cooked it, eg asparagus.

« Reply #76 on: 31 January, 2021, 12:21:50 pm »
Andouillette yuck. I love Lamb but not so keen on Mutton due to old dead thing smell, although I understand t'is becoming fashionable again.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #77 on: 31 January, 2021, 12:27:26 pm »
Seeds or leaves? They're like two different plants to me (I love the leaves, the seeds I'm not so keen on).
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #78 on: 31 January, 2021, 12:30:40 pm »
Raw alliums esp. onion or garlic produce an immune reaction in me, fortunately the smell also triggers the vomit/retching reflex so unless it's well hidden I'm unlikely to get it close enough to my mouth to take a bite. If they've been cooked to buggery they just make me feel bloated and not very well.

Makes it almost impossible to eat out and leads to long periods in the supermarket aisle trying to read the list of ingredients printed in tiny letters on the under side of the package. Still get caught out sometimes by the 'and other spices' clause and sometimes by products that no sane person would add alliums to. 

I don't eat cheese but that's just the taste and smell.
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #79 on: 31 January, 2021, 12:34:27 pm »
Pocari Sweat, Radical Sin Gas*.  These FOREIGNS need to up their game when naming soft drinks.

* Yes, I do know it’s the non-fizzy version of Radical

[“You forgot Irn-Bru” – Ed.]

The juice o yon gods.
Disnae bide here.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #80 on: 31 January, 2021, 01:02:44 pm »
squeaky veg OK, but squeaky cheese - just no, I see no reason at all for halloumi, or paneer
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #81 on: 31 January, 2021, 02:03:44 pm »
Actually there's also foods I wouldn't cook myself but will eat if someone else has cooked it, eg asparagus.

We had some accidental asparagus in the garden when I first moved here.

It's gorgeous (IMO) eaten raw and seldom made it as far as the kitchen.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #82 on: 31 January, 2021, 02:06:01 pm »
Still get caught out sometimes by the 'and other spices' clause and sometimes by products that no sane person would add alliums to. 

You’d have been fine if my mother in law ever invited you round for dinner- she wouldn’t have onions or garlic in the house, never mind in her food. Also mushrooms, because they ‘smell of death’.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ElyDave

« Reply #83 on: 31 January, 2021, 04:38:46 pm »
found another one today, or rather a combination.

My usual kalamata olives with chilli were out of stock, so substituted, but I didn't read the fine print.

I can categorically NOT recommend kalamata olives with orange

« Reply #84 on: 31 January, 2021, 04:44:31 pm »
Seeds or leaves? They're like two different plants to me (I love the leaves, the seeds I'm not so keen on).

Leaves.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #85 on: 31 January, 2021, 05:26:04 pm »
...kalamata olives with orange
What fucking *lunatic* thought *that* was a good idea!?
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

ElyDave

« Reply #86 on: 31 January, 2021, 06:39:24 pm »
My thoughts exactly, that's  second in the queue when I take over

ian

« Reply #87 on: 31 January, 2021, 06:51:11 pm »

Leaves.

I think there's a genetic component to how people taste coriander leaves. I go through a couple of bags a week.

Reminds to say asparagus, I don't mind the flavour, but I can't stand the smell of my (or other people's) urine afterwards. My nightmare is a public toilet during a German spargelfest. I've smelled some bad stuff, but asparagus wee is near the top.

My wife won't touch lamb because 'it smells', I like but don't eat it owing to my cutetarian principals (cutetarians don't eat animals that look cute).

Also reminds, a while back I went for a ride on a steam train, and one of the vintage adverts at the station exhorted me to get my mother to make me a drink of Oxo in milk when I got home. Bleurgh.

ian

« Reply #88 on: 31 January, 2021, 07:24:20 pm »
I love mint though, I made a huge bowl of raita (handfuls of mint and coriander, chopped cucumber, yoghurt, salt and ground cumin to taste) to go with my biryani last night.

That I don’t mind. Made with fresh mint leaves - which have a very different flavour to mint in confectionery. Or indeed mint in toothpaste.

I think being generous with the salt helps.

I'd agree that it benefits greatly from fresh mint (there's a load in my garden, but I don't eat that because it's near the cat's favoured 'place' and I've smelled their particular brand of fertilizer).

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #89 on: 31 January, 2021, 07:33:29 pm »
Cold fish

Cold fried fish1 ± mayonnaise/tartare sauce is often A Thing in Kosher noontime social eating (out of Covid restrictions). I'm quite partial to leftover suppertime breaded plaice cold, for lunch the next day.

I quite like fish salad: boiled fish in seasoned mayo, with a few vegetables.

1) Seasoned Matzo Meal & egg coating, fried in oil.

Matzo meal coated fish is lovely, but can be soggy which is not nice.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #90 on: 31 January, 2021, 07:35:49 pm »
Coffee

I'd need at least 3 shots of expresso to inform you haw brilliant coffee is.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #91 on: 31 January, 2021, 07:36:07 pm »
I like but don't eat it owing to my cutetarian principals (cutetarians don't eat animals that look cute).

You think sheep look cute? TMI.

I think they have scary, soulless eyes. They are only marginally less malevolent-looking than goats.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #92 on: 31 January, 2021, 07:37:33 pm »
You'd have loved the 'toothpaste' ice cream we had in Cuba then.
(I don't think it was supposed to be toothpaste but that's what it tasted of and looked like).
Sounds revolting!

My Dad calls After Eight mints 'Chocolate toothpaste'...
Does Not Like!

Can sort of agree with your dad.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #93 on: 31 January, 2021, 07:39:30 pm »
squeaky veg OK, but squeaky cheese - just no, I see no reason at all for halloumi, or paneer

Halloumi. I agree but paneer is lovely but the packet stuff is like halloumi.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #94 on: 31 January, 2021, 07:40:39 pm »
I like but don't eat it owing to my cutetarian principals (cutetarians don't eat animals that look cute).

You think sheep look cute? TMI.

I think they have scary, soulless eyes. They are only marginally less malevolent-looking than goats.

The babys look cute, that is about it.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #95 on: 31 January, 2021, 07:46:35 pm »
I find this and the other thread interesting and odd.  Mainly on the lines of which I agree with.

Do agree on the textures thing, some foods I will not eat unless it has been cooked properly/freshly.  Love fresh squid and calamari, but the frozen stuff can be rubbery and vile.

I like fresh oyster, but not fresh ones are vile.

I love prawns, and don't think about what they eat or how they get here.

« Reply #96 on: 31 January, 2021, 08:30:23 pm »
For me texture is the big thing, I can't swallow slimy, chewy food. Otherwise I'm fine.

It is surprising that so many of you mention fish as objectionable. I grew up on the other side of the North Sea and smoked eel, kippers and the like are delicacies (to me at least). I would eat smoked eel all the time if it weren't so endangered. Last time I had a taste (around 2012), it was rare treat at one of the few places in the Netherlands were you can still buy it.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #97 on: 31 January, 2021, 08:32:05 pm »
Lamb - beef gone rancid

When I was a child I spent a prolonged period in traction living on a combination of Hospital Food™ and whatever my mum could bring in and re-heat in the microwave.

I observed that if you take some roast beef, dry it out in the fridge for a few days and re-heat it in the microwave, it tastes almost but not quite exactly like roast lamb that's been dried out in the fridge for a few days and re-heated in the microwave.   :hand:

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #98 on: 31 January, 2021, 08:42:49 pm »
Burger King.  I can't stand the smell of the sauce let alone the taste.  I think it comes from a late night train journey from Sheffield to Manchester where someone had left a Big King mostly uneaten on a table in the near empty carriage and it was busy fumigated everything.

Oysters, on the other hand, yum.  Remember a Structural Geology fieldtrip in southern New South Wales.  Being Structural Geology there was no need to take samples, it was all about measuring folds etc, but we were advised to take our picks as they were the perfect tool for prising the shellfish off the rocks and cracking them open to eat as fresh as they come.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

ElyDave

« Reply #99 on: 31 January, 2021, 09:10:15 pm »
I would always choose lamb over beef, and quite enjoy very slow cooked mutton. I've always been one for stronger flavours, and find some more modern lean cuts of meat quite bland.