Author Topic: Recommend 406 tyres for Bridlepaths  (Read 1219 times)

Recommend 406 tyres for Bridlepaths
« on: 02 May, 2021, 10:07:24 am »
Looking for 406 tyres for bridlepaths; the more punc proof the better.
Least noise when on the roads between the bridlepaths would be a bonus.
My Moulton APB will take up to 406 - 50mm.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Never knowingly under caffeinated

Re: Recommend 406 tyres for Bridlepaths
« Reply #1 on: 02 May, 2021, 08:58:38 pm »
Maxxis bmx tyres are quite tough. Quite a wide choice  :)
the slower you go the more you see

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 02 May, 2021, 09:15:11 pm »

« Reply #3 on: 02 May, 2021, 11:33:18 pm »
I have 48 section Kenda tyres on my Montana folder; they're what it came with. Not enough tread for mud-plugging but otherwise quite promising. Just how promising might be revealed if I decide to use it on the Canal de Berry excursion planned for later this month.

« Reply #4 on: 03 May, 2021, 12:51:02 am »
I have 47 section CST "City" tyres on my Furo folder and they have proved fine on semi paved and washed out old railway cycle trails in County Durham last week.  I haven't  tried them in mud. On the road - hmm, they have a max of 45 psi and are quite "bouncy" and the tread is noisy and feels "squirrely".  I have been looking for an alternative which will take higher pressures and have bookmarked Marathon's  (though 20% heavier will take higher pressures (70psi) and probably a better tread for the road, can be medium priced) or Maxxis Torch or DTH which are both sub 400g. The difference between the 2 is degree of puncture protection. High price and thinner tread  so likely less longevity, but can go to 110 psi.  However I have to grind the tread off the stock tyres before I can justify £60 on a pair.

« Reply #5 on: 03 May, 2021, 03:30:54 am »
Thanks all.
The Schwalbe GT365's look good and come in 40 or 55mm. Are they new? I've never seen them before.
My 'normal' tyres are Marathons or Marathon Plusses

Just spotted a Marathon plus MTB in 40mm, as well.
Choices, choices.

« Reply #6 on: 03 May, 2021, 09:40:53 am »
The last tyres I had on the APB before it was mothballed were 20 x 1.95 Halo MXR bmx tyres, which I believe are what the new Moulton XTB comes with. They coped pretty well both on and off road. My youngest daughter’s bike is now wearing them. Apparently they have a puncture protection layer - I never had any visitations with them. At £10 each direct from Halo, I thought they were a good buy but it my looks like they’re currently out of stock and other places are charging £25 each for them which doesn’t seem such a good deal  :(

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 03 May, 2021, 12:38:34 pm »
The Schwalbe GT365's look good and come in 40 or 55mm. Are they new? I've never seen them before.

I think so.  It's more or less a Marathon Winter without the spikes.  Possibly a bit more durable?

« Reply #8 on: 03 May, 2021, 04:09:46 pm »
Had a GT 365 on front of recumbent last winter. Fine on easy off road and snow before goes through thaw freeze cycle.

« Reply #9 on: 03 May, 2021, 07:47:31 pm »
Had a GT 365 on front of recumbent last winter. Fine on easy off road and snow before goes through thaw freeze cycle.
Thank you

« Reply #10 on: 13 May, 2021, 01:44:33 pm »
I've had a reply from Schwalbe and the recommendation is Marathon Plus for punc. proof 7 "The marathon plus is slightly more road focused but fine for some bridal way riding" or Delta Cruiser + punc. proof 5.
The excellent Gavin C provided two Marathon Pluses in 47mm with the APB.
When I tried a bridlepath - a rather wet one at Danesford - on the TSR with 35mm marathon pluses I slid all over the place.
Perhaps the extra 12mm will make the difference. I do like punc. proof 7