Author Topic: Hotels & COVID tests...  (Read 1604 times)

Hotels & COVID tests...
« on: 10 May, 2021, 11:45:48 am »
Hotel I was going to book adds a £25 surcharge for COVID test...  Is charging for tests /going to be the norm?   Reasonable?
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Chris S

Re: Hotels & COVID tests...
« Reply #1 on: 10 May, 2021, 12:05:20 pm »
Seems reasonable if they're being charged for them.

« Reply #2 on: 10 May, 2021, 12:10:13 pm »
There are hotels that require covid tests?

« Reply #3 on: 10 May, 2021, 12:33:52 pm »
I assume they mean a lateral flow test.  How much (if anything) they're being charged for them (given anyone can request the tests now) is moot.  I'd be inclined to look elsewhere.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #4 on: 10 May, 2021, 02:59:31 pm »
There is no requirement for Tests that I know of and I have not been asked for one. I would ask at the chemist and use my own.

« Reply #5 on: 10 May, 2021, 06:17:22 pm »
Independent hotel - would be lateral flow.  Premier Inn & Travelodge doing their price gouging best as usual (no tests req'd AFAIA).  Price hiked second time I looked at the dates. 

possible scenario:  travel, arrrive, do lateral flow, get false positive, have no accomodation.  Will be post second vaccination.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #6 on: 10 May, 2021, 07:22:44 pm »
Independent hotel - would be lateral flow.  Premier Inn & Travelodge doing their price gouging best as usual (no tests req'd AFAIA).  Price hiked second time I looked at the dates

possible scenario:  travel, arrrive, do lateral flow, get false positive, have no accomodation.  Will be post second vaccination.

Delete the Travelodge cookies manually if you are returning to look at the same booking again . . .  they've seen you before and stiff the price . . .   and if you need to book more than one room make separate bookings, clearing the cookies, or the prices will rise for the addtional bookings. 

« Reply #7 on: 10 May, 2021, 07:24:29 pm »
Independent hotel - would be lateral flow.  Premier Inn & Travelodge doing their price gouging best as usual (no tests req'd AFAIA).  Price hiked second time I looked at the dates

Delete the Travelodge cookies manually if you are returning to look at the same booking again . . .  they've seen you before and stiff the price . . .   and if you need to book more than one room make separate bookings, clearing the cookies, or the prices will rise for the addtional bookings.

Or go incognito mode. Same principle applies for airline tickets etc etc.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #8 on: 11 May, 2021, 12:31:35 am »

Or use a different browser.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Davef

« Reply #9 on: 11 May, 2021, 06:32:15 am »

Did that work ? Most are simply basing price on remaining rooms / seats. They count both completed and in progress bookings so having multiple bookings in progress will push the price up. Disabling cookies might cause your multiple views to be treated as separate in progress bookings.

« Reply #10 on: 11 May, 2021, 11:54:37 am »

Did that work ? Most are simply basing price on remaining rooms / seats. They count both completed and in progress bookings so having multiple bookings in progress will push the price up. Disabling cookies might cause your multiple views to be treated as separate in progress bookings.
I don't think it matters what you do, it seems to be their website that's recording interest.  I've done some group bookings, if everyone looks at the hotel for the same day the price goes up, one group booked nine rooms in three lots and the price went up for the middle booking but the last group got the best deal.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #11 on: 11 May, 2021, 02:47:51 pm »
Hotel I was going to book adds a £25 surcharge for COVID test...  Is charging for tests /going to be the norm?   Reasonable?

Sounds like a sensible hotel to me.  A negative LFT or evidence of vaccination is, in my view, a reasonable approach to protecting all guests and staff - and business continuity.  Routine testing for access is something we're going to have to get used to for a while as a nation and a world.

It may not be mandatory from a government perspective but it wouldn't surprise me if their insurers were suggesting its appropriate.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #12 on: 11 May, 2021, 03:07:44 pm »
....  A negative LFT or evidence of vaccination is, in my view, a reasonable approach to protecting all guests and staff - and business continuity.  Routine testing for access is something we're going to have to get used to for a while as a nation and a world.....

I was chatting something similar with Mrs Nutty this morning. 

I can understand regular LFT for employees or schools as they are tracked over time.   What I can't understand though is reliance on it for single events, or hotels.

If I'm travelling, and so contract Covid19 on the plane/train/meeting/journey, then the LFT test on arrival at a hotel won't show it.  If I stay for three nights and then move on, it is unlikely that I'd undertake another test but may well be infectious and thus spreading it.