Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2453713 times)

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #6625 on: 13 October, 2013, 07:12:20 pm »
;D  Never mind the reason, you did The Right Thing :)

I always hope so - this is a decent forum after all :thumbsup:

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #6626 on: 13 October, 2013, 07:18:09 pm »

Otto

• Biking Bad
« Reply #6627 on: 14 October, 2013, 11:03:56 am »
A Sloper Finessing Obsessive checking in again ::-)

Brooks Mustard Leather Bar Tape @ £15 had to be worth a punt?

Paul Metcalfe was indeed right, the black tyres were no match for the previous gumwalls (always make me think of my dad's dentures) AND NOW the bar tape coordinates with the tyres 8)

Brooks-Mustard by obswerve, on Flickr

Brooks-Mustard2 by obswerve, on Flickr

RRA-Mustard-Zip-Roll by obswerve, on Flickr

Very very smart

Otto

• Biking Bad
« Reply #6628 on: 14 October, 2013, 11:22:00 am »

fuggly stem extender but keeps the weight off my dodgy post fracture wrist...

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #6629 on: 14 October, 2013, 11:31:23 am »
Needs a green saddle.

Just sayin', like  :P

Otto

• Biking Bad
« Reply #6630 on: 14 October, 2013, 12:45:34 pm »
Needs a green saddle.

Just sayin', like  :P

Lol... it does... but there is a lot of bum-time invested in the brown one

« Reply #6631 on: 14 October, 2013, 01:45:01 pm »
My ever shrinking fleet

Kona King Zing

Ridgeback Platinum

Cube Ltd Pro
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

« Reply #6632 on: 20 October, 2013, 08:12:23 am »
I had a Dawes Horizon a while ago and really liked it, but they have now stopped making them and whilst this year they now offer a cheap Galaxy it is alloy frame and really nasty parts.

So a search found that Spa cycles have them in stock, so over the weekend I pdi'd it and changed the parts that I had spare etc.

Did a short ride on Sunday to make sure all is well and I am very pleased with it.

I have a Dawes Horizon as well, bought it 2 1/2 years ago. I've been thinking of selling it but after seeing your photo, it reminded me how much I enjoyed riding it, not that fast but still put a smile on my face. Not going to sell it now. Thanks
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride." - John F. Kennedy

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #6633 on: 21 October, 2013, 12:49:32 am »
They are lovely bikes. I just took mine out on a rough stuff fellowship ride, and it has also been my main audax bike this year. It's a shame Dawes went messing around with the touring range this year (the old horizon is probably closest to the 2013 Galaxy, which is now chromo steel not R531)

Spa are still selling the 53cm Horizon for £500 which is a good price for the bike.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #6634 on: 21 October, 2013, 02:16:58 pm »

Spa are still selling the 53cm Horizon for £500 which is a good price for the bike.

Ssshh !
I've just alerted a friend to that following the sad demise of her much loved and widely travelled old Horizon.
I don't want them to sell out before she's been able to get one   ;)

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #6635 on: 21 October, 2013, 02:19:08 pm »
My ever shrinking fleet

[...]
Needs moar Genesis.

G'wan, you know you want to  :demon:

« Reply #6636 on: 21 October, 2013, 02:36:24 pm »
Was buying another but the @:%# I was buying it off sold it to someone else. It was orange with alfine too!

We'd arranged to meet at the weekend but got a message saying it was sold so don't bother calling over :(
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #6637 on: 21 October, 2013, 03:49:46 pm »
Not as impulsive as it seems, but this weekend's RSF ride (and Saturday's realization that the hybrid was unsalvageable) led me to press the buy button for this which I picked up today :D

It's a 2011/12 Voodoo Bantu. When I've got it sorted (and the floods recede outside) I'll go and get it muddy ;D
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Squarewheels

• Too much cake :sick:
« Reply #6638 on: 21 October, 2013, 04:04:11 pm »
Shweet (this thread is really bad for me... :hand:).

Jealous much....

« Reply #6639 on: 21 October, 2013, 09:33:15 pm »
Mutton dreassed as lamb ::-), a galaxy makeover:

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #6640 on: 22 October, 2013, 06:06:48 am »
I like your Hope 1 mounted on the fork.  Can we have a close up of that?  You even got a colour match!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6641 on: 22 October, 2013, 06:24:51 am »
That works very nicely
Getting there...

« Reply #6642 on: 22 October, 2013, 09:21:45 am »
Thanks, image herewith

Rear view. There's a light bracket boss brazed on the fork which first took one of those nEver Ready tin lights with the switch on top.

The bracket I've fettled (botched) is a sandwich of a small length of pipe (salvaged from the children's ex-climbing frame) covered with inner tube held between two penny washers and held in place by a bolt to said braxe on. Finding a bolt was a journey of learning as the thread is British Standard Cycle:
http://www.britishfasteners.com/threads/bsc.html

Onto that I've used an Exposure mount as per method described elsewhere on this site which means I can move the light from bike to bike easily. (I will now have to adjust the red plastic shim now I've seen it's not seated properly)

Oscar's dad

« Reply #6643 on: 22 October, 2013, 09:33:41 am »
Very neat!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6644 on: 22 October, 2013, 10:06:06 am »
A better (cheaper) version of the Paul mounting I have on my Romany.
Getting there...

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #6645 on: 22 October, 2013, 10:13:16 am »
Mutton dreassed as lamb ::-), a galaxy makeover:

Looks good :thumbsup: Which brake calipers?

« Reply #6646 on: 22 October, 2013, 01:50:25 pm »

They are Tektro R365 dual pivot. It's a revelation to be able to stop with a fully loaded touring bike in the wet. The originals, Weinnman centre-pulls, were best described as 'exciting' under those conditions.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #6647 on: 22 October, 2013, 01:55:59 pm »

They are Tektro R365 dual pivot. It's a revelation to be able to stop with a fully loaded touring bike in the wet. The originals, Weinnman centre-pulls, were best described as 'exciting' under those conditions.

Blimey, I can remember when Weinnman centre pulls were the dog's doo-dahs.   I toured fully ladened through the Alps with them.  I think I've still got the adjustment tool somewhere.

« Reply #6648 on: 22 October, 2013, 02:01:13 pm »

Blimey, I can remember when Weinnman centre pulls were the dog's doo-dahs.   I toured fully ladened through the Alps with them.  I think I've still got the adjustment tool somewhere.

Yep, I'm glad I didn't have one of the other options available at the time. Thankfully Alpine touring was beyond me at the time - respect.

Ruth

« Reply #6649 on: 22 October, 2013, 09:24:31 pm »
Not as impulsive as it seems, but this weekend's RSF ride (and Saturday's realization that the hybrid was unsalvageable) led me to press the buy button for this which I picked up today :D

It's a 2011/12 Voodoo Bantu. When I've got it sorted (and the floods recede outside) I'll go and get it muddy ;D

Niiiice!  You went for it then?  Congratulations on the happy new arrival mcshroom!

Beautifully composed shot, I must say.