Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2453817 times)

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #6800 on: 16 December, 2013, 05:45:46 pm »
I think Percy thought bottles would be carried on handlebar cages in 1948 ;)
I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have had bar-end shifters and clipless pedals in 1948 either ...

... just sayin'  :P

(in the unlikely event of me having a frame of that vintage, I'd have built it with an SA 3-speed or as a fixed gear)

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #6801 on: 16 December, 2013, 06:55:16 pm »
I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have had bar-end shifters and clipless pedals in 1948 either ...

(in the unlikely event of me having a frame of that vintage, I'd have built it with an SA 3-speed or as a fixed gear)

I thought long and hard about what to do with this frame and forks - an eBay last minute gasp to see what the reserve was, and I was the only bidder. Mine for £50+ post.

It turns out to be in incredible condition given its age. 6¼ lbs inc steel headset.  Wonderful aggressive shaped "Germanic" vibe like lugs - reminds me of Heavy Metal album covers of the late 70s. They appear to be Belgian 'Ekla' lugs. Not particularly well brazed it has to be said - or maybe that should be not all well finished?

I don't wanna be a slave to period specific bollox eBay hunting/collecting stuff  - always getting niggly components a year out - I want to be riding an historic heart of a frame and its period specific geometry.

So I figure, as long as I don't fuck the 'bones'/frame up (by drilling bottle cage bosses etc), then it will remain as it stands in history (of which more later).

That decision released me from so much pain.

The only modification I have made, is cold setting the back end to 130mm. This can easily be UNdone.

All the components I whack on to it are temporary - and chosen for a nod to aesthetics - but hey

Historically, Percy was a bit of a one. "Up the league". Google P T Stallard - an important figure in British cycling.

My head and heart are in love with the joy this temporary custodianship/riding can bring :)

:) :) :) :) :)

« Reply #6802 on: 16 December, 2013, 09:15:43 pm »
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #6803 on: 17 December, 2013, 01:03:04 am »
First things first:

All credit to Torslanda of "Johns Bikes" fame for putting this back together for me.
I took him a tatty frame and a few bits and he's built a lovely bike.
Sorry about the poor photo, weather dictated it had to be taken in the kitchen today and better results aren't happening.

It's off to Edinburgh tomorrow to see if it fits a friend who has riding the length of the Rhine in mind for next year.
The bike wot John built is very fit for the job.

Ta very much  :thumbsup:

Longers, I've seen this at various stages and I can only echo that John is VERY good at this stuff!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6804 on: 17 December, 2013, 10:10:38 am »
Slope's latest: Looks good to me. Better to be using it than waiting for the historically correct components, surely?
i like the place for a pump on this bike. (don't like that there is no provisioning for water bottles, non matching front/rear brake pads and skewers and that the rear tyre is installed wrong way round :P)
How can you tell the rear tyre is the wrong way round?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #6805 on: 17 December, 2013, 12:14:10 pm »
Slope's latest: Looks good to me. Better to be using it than waiting for the historically correct components, surely?
i like the place for a pump on this bike. (don't like that there is no provisioning for water bottles, non matching front/rear brake pads and skewers and that the rear tyre is installed wrong way round :P)
How can you tell the rear tyre is the wrong way round?

the thread pattern on directional tyres (from tractors where it matters a lot, to bicycles where it doesn't really matter) has chevrons pointing forward to push water/slush out to the sides and dig into soft surface better. bike tyres like m+ have a direction arrow on the tyre, although functionally it doesn't matter which way you will mount them. gatorskins only have a decorative pattern, but still directional, so it would be right if the tyre is installed correct way round (like a cross on church's roof).

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6806 on: 17 December, 2013, 12:49:35 pm »
But can you actually make out the tread pattern clearly on those photos? I can't, although I can tell they're Contis. Maybe I need glasses   8) but not like that.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #6807 on: 20 December, 2013, 10:50:42 am »
But can you actually make out the tread pattern clearly on those photos? I can't, although I can tell they're Contis. Maybe I need glasses   8) but not like that.

Had a quick look at the Flickr Photos - I can see the small triangle on tread is forward on front tyre and to back on rear tyre. This means the chevrons are facing forward on the front tyre and backwards on the rear tyre.  ( better traction driving forward perhaps but less traction under braking )

« Reply #6808 on: 20 December, 2013, 11:03:34 am »

Had a quick look at the Flickr Photos - I can see the small triangle on tread is forward on front tyre and to back on rear tyre. This means the chevrons are facing forward on the front tyre and backwards on the rear tyre.  ( better traction driving forward perhaps but less traction under braking )

I started ignoring the markings on Conti TT2000 for precisely this reason as they are marked up for the front and rear to be opposite ways round. I got fed up of locking the rear in any sort of damp.

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #6809 on: 20 December, 2013, 05:14:49 pm »

Let's not get crazy boys/fellas - there is BUGGER ALL traction from the purely cosmetic/go faster?/stealth?/wow?/cool?/pretty?" pattern (NOT tread) on  ^ those Gatorskins ::-) ;D :hand: ;) :)

« Reply #6810 on: 21 December, 2013, 08:40:22 pm »
The number of time I have put tyres on the wrong way round .......strewth (and subsequently changed them back to where they should have been.)   :facepalm:
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #6811 on: 22 December, 2013, 09:01:59 am »
A little pride goes a long way. That shiny new bike you're happily riding down a secluded lane, enjoying the peace and pleasure of cycling when everytime you glance at the wheel you're reminded that the feckin' tyre is the wrong way around - whether it makes any practical difference or not!

Been there. Done that. Fixed it.

Moose57

• Hippopotamus scandere potest colles
« Reply #6812 on: 22 December, 2013, 09:18:22 pm »

I thought long and hard about what to do with this frame and forks - an eBay last minute gasp to see what the reserve was, and I was the only bidder. Mine for £50+ post.

It turns out to be in incredible condition given its age. 6¼ lbs inc steel headset.  Wonderful aggressive shaped "Germanic" vibe like lugs - reminds me of Heavy Metal album covers of the late 70s. They appear to be Belgian 'Ekla' lugs. Not particularly well brazed it has to be said - or maybe that should be not all well finished?

I don't wanna be a slave to period specific bollox eBay hunting/collecting stuff  - always getting niggly components a year out - I want to be riding an historic heart of a frame and its period specific geometry.

So I figure, as long as I don't fuck the 'bones'/frame up (by drilling bottle cage bosses etc), then it will remain as it stands in history (of which more later).

That decision released me from so much pain.

The only modification I have made, is cold setting the back end to 130mm. This can easily be UNdone.

All the components I whack on to it are temporary - and chosen for a nod to aesthetics - but hey

Historically, Percy was a bit of a one. "Up the league". Google P T Stallard - an important figure in British cycling.

My head and heart are in love with the joy this temporary custodianship/riding can bring :)

:) :) :) :) :)

Well said :thumbsup:

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #6813 on: 23 December, 2013, 04:34:57 pm »
"Gordo" have been "upgraded" for winter use. 26T Chainring & 4.8" Surly BUD front tire.
Time to attack the mud & snow  ;D

« Reply #6814 on: 23 December, 2013, 04:39:24 pm »
That looks a lot of fun! Will you not get mud/snow/general crap clogged up in the gaurds?
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #6815 on: 23 December, 2013, 04:48:02 pm »
It didn't clog up last year and OH yes it is so funny that I laugh even when I crash.  :D

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #6816 on: 23 December, 2013, 04:53:59 pm »
Nice set up Gus! I'm currently 'fat free' waiting for my new one to land in February

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #6817 on: 23 December, 2013, 05:29:35 pm »
Gus and his monster ride :) Looking great.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #6818 on: 27 December, 2013, 12:57:07 pm »
My Ribble (Son of Oscar) has his new Midge bars.  So far I have only taken them for a short spin but they feel great.  I'm looking forward to a longer ride shortly.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #6819 on: 27 December, 2013, 01:01:28 pm »
My Ribble (Son of Oscar) has his new Midge bars.  So far I have only taken them for a short spin but they feel great.  I'm looking forward to a longer ride shortly.
Nice, aren't they?
I had some on the now-sold yellow bike and apart from having to fit a slightly shorter stem to compensate for the greater reach (compared with the stock Genesis bars) I took to them straight away. They work pretty well off-road too, but ...

... I'm considering getting some Salsa Woodchipper bars (kinda like Midge bars on steroids) for the Croix de Fer.

« Reply #6820 on: 27 December, 2013, 01:02:48 pm »

Wondered when I'd see it!

Looking great, love the bling ;D
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #6821 on: 27 December, 2013, 06:40:28 pm »
With apologies for the absence of Marmite, not the easiest thing to find when the only shops close by are a 'Holistic dog-grooming parlour' (Pffft! WTF?), DIY, carp angling and motorcycles . . .

We did ask.
Not visited this thread lately.

I'm reliably informed that, in the absence of Marmite, no high-quality vintage frame is complete without a bag of high-protein "boilies".
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #6822 on: 27 December, 2013, 07:09:03 pm »
OD, really bike nice and all that, but you really really must adjust that Hope stem cap so that one of the Hope logos is at 6 or 12 o'clock precisely.

OCD? Moi?? :-X ;)
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #6823 on: 27 December, 2013, 09:40:26 pm »
"Gordo" have been "upgraded" for winter use. 26T Chainring & 4.8" Surly BUD front tire.
Time to attack the mud & snow  ;D

Holy Shit - that is *awesome* Gus!

WANT  :D
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #6824 on: 27 December, 2013, 10:03:01 pm »
Oh.
My.
G.