Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2453930 times)

LEE

Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #2225 on: 22 October, 2009, 02:12:29 pm »

Done

That looks good Lee.  Is that the only pic you have?

LOL but, pot, kettle ?  ;)

I have been rumbled  ;D ;D
[/quote]

As is the way with me and Grub, why post just one photo when you have several?

I'll start a review thread for the Fratello shortly but for now, here are the photos of it's first lunchtime-loop, the first of many.

I rode it first on Monday, the day after a hilly 200km ride.  I was sore and knackered and the Condor felt like a cast-iron bedstead.  Today I felt recovered and as a result the Condor felt bloody superb.  Very smooth, very slick, neutral handling and extremely comfy (another B17 Champion).

I also think it looks gorgeous in grey.

I also consider myself very lucky to be able to ride around here in my lunch hour.

« Reply #2226 on: 22 October, 2009, 08:41:52 pm »
That does look very very nice.  Very nice.  ;D

« Reply #2227 on: 22 October, 2009, 08:48:05 pm »

I agree: very very nice, LEE  :) Have many good miles on it. 

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #2228 on: 22 October, 2009, 08:53:31 pm »
I also consider myself very lucky to be able to ride around here in my lunch hour.

I know those roads pretty well, and have to agree!  Makes me want to take a bike next time I visit my parents...

And yes, the gray Fratello is stunning.  But you already knew that  :D.
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

mr endon

« Reply #2229 on: 22 October, 2009, 08:58:26 pm »
One thing I hate on close clearance Audax bikes are brakes of limited drop crimping the perfect arc of the guards. You seem to have got away with it on that there Fratello, so which brakes are they?

« Reply #2230 on: 22 October, 2009, 09:02:18 pm »
Seconded.  Mine only do it very slightly but it is still annoying.

« Reply #2231 on: 22 October, 2009, 10:34:23 pm »
One thing I hate on close clearance Audax bikes are brakes of limited drop crimping the perfect arc of the guards

Agreed. I do like the way LEE has those guards fitted: tidy.

Fixedwheelnut

• "If it ain't fixed it's broken"
    • My photos
« Reply #2232 on: 22 October, 2009, 10:36:11 pm »

Done

That looks good Lee.  Is that the only pic you have?

LOL but, pot, kettle ?  ;)

I have been rumbled  ;D ;D

As is the way with me and Grub, why post just one photo when you have several?

I'll start a review thread for the Fratello shortly but for now, here are the photos of it's first lunchtime-loop, the first of many.

I rode it first on Monday, the day after a hilly 200km ride.  I was sore and knackered and the Condor felt like a cast-iron bedstead.  Today I felt recovered and as a result the Condor felt bloody superb.  Very smooth, very slick, neutral handling and extremely comfy (another B17 Champion).

I also think it looks gorgeous in grey.

[/quote]

I know who to call on when I want that Test Valley bit of my 600km Audax route checked  :thumbsup: ;D
Nice bike too
"Don't stop pedalling"

LEE

« Reply #2233 on: 23 October, 2009, 10:44:36 am »
One thing I hate on close clearance Audax bikes are brakes of limited drop crimping the perfect arc of the guards. You seem to have got away with it on that there Fratello, so which brakes are they?

Thanks all for nice comments.

The brakes are Condor branded but I suspect they are Shimano 105.

Forks are Deda Black Rain (take 28mm with guards) which means they must be deep-drop.

Tyres are 25mm Conti Ultra Skins.

Guards were indeed a nice fit, a little too close initially.  They tended to buzz the tyre walls over bumpy surfaces, so what you are looking at are slightly adjusted guards.  Previsouly it was hard to tell it had guards at all.

A few years ago I saw a battleship-grey LeMond road bike with banding. I thought it was stunning.  I think that bike has been in my subconcious ever since, only to come to the surface when I walked into the Condor showroom (not a place to go innocently browsing if you are holding a credit card) and saw another grey bike with banding.

Let me just warn you again though.  Never go browsing in Condor with a credit card or any form of ID that may allow you to place a deposit on anything.

They are one of the few bike shops I've ever seen that actually has really desirable stuff at every turn.

Oh look, a rack of Jackets...GORE...RAPHA...ASSOS. Must resist..must resist... Must wait for Bike items in LIDL...Must wait for Bike items in LIDL

And never go downstairs to the bike showroom.  That would be asking for trouble.  I did and before I knew it I was sat on their bike-fitting jig.

I had my credit card with me as well.

LEE

« Reply #2234 on: 23 October, 2009, 10:46:49 am »
I know who to call on when I want that Test Valley bit of my 600km Audax route checked  :thumbsup: ;D
Nice bike too

Feel free to ask.  Would be happy to help and looking for any excuse to ride local roads

« Reply #2235 on: 23 October, 2009, 10:50:18 am »
The brakes are Condor branded but I suspect they are Shimano 105.

My Condor branded brakes on the Tempo (2.5 years old now) are Tektro.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #2236 on: 23 October, 2009, 12:17:52 pm »
I'd have guessed they'd be deep drop anyway, no?

LEE

« Reply #2237 on: 23 October, 2009, 01:45:55 pm »
I'd have guessed they'd be deep drop anyway, no?

My Ribble came with very similar Deda BlackStorm forks which take shallow-drop. 

Fixedwheelnut

• "If it ain't fixed it's broken"
    • My photos
« Reply #2238 on: 24 October, 2009, 04:02:29 pm »
Nice bike too

Feel free to ask.  Would be happy to help and looking for any excuse to ride local roads

:thumbsup: I shall pm my e-mail too you and then send you a copy of the route sheet once I re write it for next year.
 Cheers
 Steve
"Don't stop pedalling"

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #2239 on: 26 October, 2009, 06:26:50 pm »
A couple of rubbish foties of my (IMHO) rather tasty new bike, just finished building it this afternoon.

Pedals - thanks to Grub; Rear Mech - thanks to valkyrie; Saddle - clubmate Terry  :thumbsup:
I already had the wheels, Campag Proton, and tyres, Krylion of course, eh Grub?
The new stuff is mostly Campag Centaur, BB and Chainset are Stronglight Speedlight, Bars and Stem are Deda Zero 100.

Do I need to apologise for the total absence of Brooks, Carradice and Shimano?  ;)
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #2240 on: 26 October, 2009, 06:35:47 pm »

Do I need to apologise for the total absence of Brooks, Carradice and Shimano?  ;)

You forgot to mention mudguards and rack.  ;)

BTW, nice bike.  :thumbsup:
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

alan

« Reply #2241 on: 26 October, 2009, 07:44:13 pm »

You forgot to mention mudguards and rack.  ;)

BTW, nice bike.  :thumbsup:

& sandals: do have a beard?

« Reply #2242 on: 26 October, 2009, 08:11:01 pm »
How ironic I provide you with the tools to stay ahead of me   ;D ;D ;D

« Reply #2243 on: 26 October, 2009, 08:32:44 pm »
A couple of rubbish foties of my (IMHO) rather tasty new bike, just finished building it this afternoon.
Very nice Eck.

That's one long stem. Do you mind if I ask you what size is the bike and how tall you are?

I am only asking becase I am considering getting a longer stem as I reckon it's on the short side and I'd like to improve my position on my bike.

eck

• Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #2244 on: 26 October, 2009, 09:04:20 pm »

That's one long stem. Do you mind if I ask you what size is the bike and how tall you are?

I am only asking becase I am considering getting a longer stem as I reckon it's on the short side and I'd like to improve my position on my bike.
Aye, it is long. 14cm!
I got it after trying out a couple of shorter stems, but a 14cm give me exactly the same reach as I have on my other bikes. The Kuota has a quite a short top tube, only 51cm. My other bikes are about 53cm top tube, with stems ranging from 11 to 12.5cm.

I'm only about 5'7" on a good day. All my bikes are similar in size: I have them at 70cm from BB to top of saddle and 56cm from tip of saddle to bars. I know I tend to favour a longer reach and a lower bars than most, but I've been comfortable with that set-up for many years. I've tried shorter reaches and higher bars, but it's never felt right.

I've not had the Kuota out on a proper ride yet, but first impressions are that it fits perfectly and it feels amazingly responsive.  :)

« Reply #2245 on: 26 October, 2009, 09:18:07 pm »

very nice eck.  well worth sending mrs eck out to work   ;) 
guess she'll be continuing to work so you can justify its existence and prove its road worthiness.

pity the c**p weather and c**pier road conditions are almost upon us, I hope you don't have to wait until spring-time.

« Reply #2246 on: 26 October, 2009, 09:18:19 pm »
Does it ride ok with a long stem like that.

eck

• Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #2247 on: 26 October, 2009, 09:30:37 pm »
Does it ride ok with a long stem like that.
Like I said earlier:
... but first impressions are that it fits perfectly and it feels amazingly responsive.
So yes, so far so fantastic. It's not dramatically longer than other stems I'm used to. Maybe you'd notice a difference in handling if you went from a shorter 9 or 10cm stem to a long one but, no, I can't say I've noticed any problems, so far!

eck

• Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #2248 on: 26 October, 2009, 09:32:27 pm »
pity the c**p weather and c**pier road conditions are almost upon us, I hope you don't have to wait until spring-time.
No worries, fin, I've got Alli to hang it above the mantlepiece so we can both just sit and admire it until next spring.  O:-)

« Reply #2249 on: 26 October, 2009, 10:00:38 pm »
Halfords/Carrera so obviously a bit chav for these parts, but hey full carbon, DA/Ultegra drive, quite nice kit AND 550 quids with maybe 100 miles on the clock ain't bad in my modest book. Ebay IS your friend!

Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.