Author Topic: What's caffeinating you today?  (Read 129363 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: What's caffeinating you today?
« Reply #775 on: 26 September, 2022, 09:04:00 am »

Covim. And it is filth.

But I don't mind a bit of filth now and again. It's got a fair chunk of robusta in it given the burnt rubber smell and the gloopy crema. Quite nice as espresso but regrettable in milk.

Last espresso I had with the Carrefour Latin-American blend had a suggestion of brake pads in the aftertaste.  I suppose there's nothing to stop them growing robusta in Latin America too.  Too bad I threw away the original bag.

http://fingfx.thomsonreuters.com/gfx/rngs/LATAM-COFFEE-ROBUSTA/010060QN1CG/index.html
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #776 on: 08 October, 2022, 01:26:34 pm »
Two Guatemalans:
1 x Atitlán espresso roasted Wednesday in narsty cheap perforated-drum roaster over gas flame. Medium++ roast, surprisingly good for a first try.
1 x Maxicoffee Huehuetenago espresso for comparison.

Similar characteristics, Atitlán==>Huehuetenago is ~75 km and both are in highlands. Maxicoffee's is better. Mine's a darker roast and still a bit rough, better than I expected though.

« Reply #777 on: 20 November, 2022, 10:12:05 pm »
If you like Italian bar espresso (ristretto) then TKMaxx have got some stuff in that does the job really well:

https://www.tkmaxx.com/uk/en/home/gourmet-food/portofino-1kg/p/81138256

Mostly arabica but with a hint of robusta.  Best as ristretto.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #778 on: 21 November, 2022, 08:39:01 am »
Thanks, but I'm pretty well off coffee just now because gut.  My home-roasted stuff was pretty good but high in acidity, even done dark & oily.  I do have the odd cappu but Carrefour's dark roast is OK for that.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #779 on: 21 November, 2022, 09:22:26 am »
Lately, I've mostly been drinking Aldi's own-brand Alcafé Italian-style blend. It's not exactly the good shit, but at £1.49 for a 227g bag, it's perfectly adequate for everyday glugging - and even mediocre real coffee is better than instant. I had been drinking their single-origin Colombian, but that's £2-something a bag and not actually any better.

I do find myself craving a really good cup of coffee at times, but there's a pretty decent coffee shop across the way from the office, so at least I get the opportunity a couple of times a week.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #780 on: 06 December, 2022, 07:50:20 am »
Double-shotted cappuccino with Carrefour's Black-Dar'n'Filthy blend.  Goes very well with warm croissants.

« Reply #781 on: 11 December, 2022, 12:02:20 pm »
I do find myself craving a really good cup of coffee at times, but there's a pretty decent coffee shop across the way from the office, so at least I get the opportunity a couple of times a week.
It's only really the espresso/steamed milk stuff that needs expensive kit and expertise to emulate the decent coffee shops, so If its pour over based drinks then you can home produce as good as anything in a coffee shop. 

I've become the opposite of eclectic in my coffee choices. Up to about 12 years ago I'd often have a range of nice beans in, usually green, that I'd roast myself for filter. Now I just put italian bar coffee from TKMaxx through the Spaziale  :facepalm:

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #782 on: 14 December, 2022, 08:29:05 am »
Whatever was in the hopper since yesterday in the company of the sweep, who at 9am was on his 9th shot since he started at 4am.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #783 on: 23 December, 2022, 10:02:32 am »
Maxicoffee's Italian blend + croissant from next village rejuvenated in the air fryer.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #784 on: 13 January, 2023, 02:03:32 pm »
Today on a whim I rescued my old La Pavoni Europiccola from the corner of the billiard room where it has lived for the last 5 years or so, filled it with water and fired it up.  Now this is an entirely beautiful piece of Stone Steam Age machinery:

but it's only skin deep.  The process is a pachel and a palaver, the burn/scald opportunities are many, the gurgle as pressure rises in the boiler is terrifying and the results are random.  I also forgot about the notorious Europiccola Sneeze, which is what happens when you undock the portafilter without letting pressure subside in the group head after pulling a shot.  The vicinity received a hot baptism of spent coffee grounds.

As to the shot produced, it was not nearly as good as that out of my B2C machine.  Considering that from firing up to shutting down the Europiccola process took about half an hour and the B2C maybe 5 minutes, the former is going back to the billiard room.  I'm not that dedicated to archaeology.

felstedrider

« Reply #785 on: 13 January, 2023, 02:43:39 pm »
Roast of Christmas Past from 200 Degrees coffee in Lincoln.   Bought some on Boxing Day but it's now been reduced so picked up a few bags.   At my current rate I'll be through it by the end of January.

« Reply #786 on: 14 January, 2023, 01:57:33 pm »
I bought a La Pavoni from Ebay many years ago.  It went back there fairly quickly , just too much faff.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #787 on: 14 January, 2023, 03:10:08 pm »
Legendarily terrible things.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #788 on: 15 January, 2023, 04:51:11 pm »
Tried again today, no better.  Interesting, though: I have an IR thermometer and while it will show reasonable temperatures for unshiny things, while the EP boiler was gurgling away it only showed 30-odd degrees. Insulated? thought I, but one stinging finger later I thought not.

I never expected a shiny surface to be quite so efficient at reflecting IR. I think I'll get some of those stick-on thermometer strips for the group.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #789 on: 23 January, 2023, 10:48:52 am »
Further adventures into the realms of Coffee Gadgets I Haven't Got Rid Of Yet this morning: I got out my old Bodum Pebo vacuum pot (in French that's a cafetière à dépression, which is not far off the mark in terms of physics and psychology - top marks there, Bodum) and the Bodum Bistro grinder I bought at around the same time.  Half an hour to clean the lot then 20-odd grammes of Carrfeour's Thick, Black and Filthy through the grinder and into the upper chamber ("any grind will do"- Bodum), cupful of water in the lower and onto the stove. Meanwhile I fired up the B2C, hit the vapore button and got a half-pitcher of cowjuice hissing away.

What happened next: while a nice vortex was building in my pitcher the Bodum first soaked the grounds then started blasting steam up through them while the water in the bottom boiled like the furies of hell but I couldn't reach the off switch without putting down the pitcher so I bellowed for MrsT and took care of my vortex.  MrsT arrived and whacked the Off icon before the pot boiled dry, and the brewed coffee was sucked back down with a racket like a posse of Linfield supporters regurgitating in unison. I finished foaming, ditto the milk, and clam [sic] returned.  I removed the upper chamber from the Pebo and realized that the tube gadget for standing it in was still at the back of the top shelf where I'd stashed the ensemble years before. While I was retrieving and washing the bugger everything had a good chance to cool down.

Anyway, the resulting brew was decidedly peely-wally for flavour but quite long on caffeine, if the vasoconstricted feeling in my face & thorax is anything to go by.  The hassle and mess were just a bit much for such a scant reward. OK, I made the mistake of not letting the water boil before fitting the top chamber to the bottom, but all in all it's an experience not to be repeated.

Think I'll order a V60.

« Reply #790 on: 23 January, 2023, 11:08:23 am »
A most amusing tale - well told! 😂

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #791 on: 30 January, 2023, 01:35:53 pm »
Not caffeinating me yet 'coz it's just out of the box.

Sage Barista Express. Maxicoffee were flogging them with a whole package of low-cost giveaways valuable extras at 600€ instead of the 729€ list price. Long hours of relearning manual-machine technique, dialling-in and caffeine jitters ahead.

Not sure what to do with the B2C now, give it to one of the kids or keep it in service for decaf.  CBA selling it, I got it 5 years ago ex-demo at under half the list price so it wouldn't fetch much and packing it would be a pain.

« Reply #792 on: 20 March, 2023, 11:07:18 am »
I have a selection of beans incoming today from the famous Algerian Coffee Shop in Soho. I expect that these will be fairly traditional and not 3rd wave or whatever roasts.
Will make a change from my usual from Roost though.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #793 on: 20 March, 2023, 11:08:56 am »
Aldi 100% robusta 'Indonesia' instant.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #794 on: 20 March, 2023, 02:14:57 pm »
Green Lion Sirga blend. 

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #795 on: 22 March, 2023, 07:30:37 am »

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #796 on: 26 March, 2023, 08:54:41 am »
And it's gone, :( .  Already got a couple of kg of other coffees to get through before reordering so  :( :(

I rather think it's the best I ever tasted.

« Reply #797 on: 23 July, 2023, 08:13:34 am »
Not so much what, as whatwhom, or wherein or summat - these cups:

"Coffee & Cols", a  bargainalicious £5 for two cups and saucers for £5 from reception of the Stratford Velodrome (where I take Mrs Ham for Physio).

« Reply #798 on: 06 August, 2023, 08:23:23 am »
As I sit in an odd Airbnb in Solihull (don't ask, quilts.) which might be considered tautology, I am slurping a little discovery.

"Molten Magma" from Morrisons. At £2.72 for 8 ounces, it is everything you might expect. That is, the robusta packed brew strongly reminiscent of cheap French hotels breakfast in the 80s. Not something I would wish for every day, and quite possibly a dirty little secret, but I'm enjoying it. As for the claim on the side of the packet " this makes 30 cups" that simply adds to the amusement.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #799 on: 06 August, 2023, 10:33:57 am »
Been fiddling with single shots since the neuro people all but bellowed at me to reduce my caffeine intake: can produce a half-decent ristretto with Sati's Moka Sidamo from the mini-Carrefour in the next village.  Surprising that a supermarket supplier bothers to produce a decent coffee, but it's really good.

ETA  after lunch I squeezed a couple of God shots out of the Sage with the single-shot basket, 10g a shot, 3.5:1 ratio and a 15 kg tamp.  Delighted.  Hope it stays programmed now.