Author Topic: What's caffeinating you today?  (Read 129940 times)

Re: What's caffeinating you today?
« Reply #125 on: 02 December, 2011, 02:17:42 pm »
And now Revelation again..

« Reply #126 on: 02 December, 2011, 02:55:20 pm »
I've got four new bags of it, but it is too new. Going in the freezer til I can do a bit of serious espresso drinking.

« Reply #127 on: 02 December, 2011, 04:09:55 pm »
I've got four new bags of it, but it is too new. Going in the freezer til I can do a bit of serious espresso drinking.

Can it be too new? I thought it declined over time not improved?
I have a freezer full of coffee and a broken down Gaggia at the moment, it's sprung a leak somewhere inside :(

« Reply #128 on: 02 December, 2011, 04:22:59 pm »

I have a freezer full of coffee and a broken down Gaggia at the moment, it's sprung a leak somewhere inside :(

Go on, you know you want to...   :demon:

« Reply #129 on: 02 December, 2011, 04:51:37 pm »
When I have time I need to go through all the Youtube instructions for what to do if it's leaking, I am sure I can probably repair it myself. This is a bad week for me though because I am working 60 hours of nights. I could really do with a coffee right now!

« Reply #130 on: 02 December, 2011, 05:34:14 pm »

Yes to both.

Freshly roasted coffee tastes of nothing. It takes at least a couple of days rest before it is anything like ready, and some coffees I've roasted have need a full week before they are at their peak. The revelation was roasted on Tuesday.  Tomorrow if my resolve breaks....

« Reply #131 on: 03 December, 2011, 01:07:51 pm »

Yes to both.

Freshly roasted coffee tastes of nothing. It takes at least a couple of days rest before it is anything like ready, and some coffees I've roasted have need a full week before they are at their peak. The revelation was roasted on Tuesday.  Tomorrow if my resolve breaks....

Do you have to rest it at room temperature for it to gain the flavour or will it do this while in the freezer?

« Reply #132 on: 03 December, 2011, 01:28:33 pm »
It has to 'de-gas', which iirc means releasing co2. Tbh I'm not massively anal about it and tend to stick it wherever is convenient. If its not going to be used for a week or so it goes in thr freezer. If you pushed me for an answer I'd say stick it in the fridge. That seems to be a happy medium between the flavour building up and not inducing staleness, but this is just gut feeling, albeit over the 12 or so years that I have been roasting.

« Reply #133 on: 13 December, 2011, 03:09:45 am »
 Ah fucking bollocks. New machine arrived today. Picked it up from the roaster man. Was like spending an hour in a crack house. He was whizzed off his tits. Now I am too. Hence the 'fucking bollocks'

(look at post time)

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #134 on: 13 December, 2011, 08:33:30 am »
Silly boy  ;D
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #135 on: 13 December, 2011, 09:20:01 pm »
 ;D

Could have done with some of that earlier ...

plug

« Reply #136 on: 18 December, 2011, 07:09:40 pm »
A couple of shots from Hot Flatus' new shiny thing.  Very nice :)

« Reply #137 on: 20 December, 2011, 11:41:52 am »
Well, I have had a week of highs and lows.  The new machine...

...is working beautifully, and I'm really pleased with my choice and glad that I didn't succumb to the more beautiful, but lesser speccedRocket Giotto.  You see the Expobar has a dual boiler and PID, rather than a heat-exchanger which is more common at this price point, but it is the PID and the convenience of two boilers that makes it stand out.

So, having quickly accustomed myself to its ways I delved into the current trends in espresso, or the 'third wave' as it is known in the industry.  I'm quite old school in this respect as I enjoy espresso as served in Italy, short, rich, and over in seconds.  I like the Italian style of blends and I don't care if it is Robusta heavy. I've never viewed lighter roasted acidic coffees as being an option for espresso but this is what seems to be being touted by those that want to stand out as being different.  So, feeling comfortable with my machine I made an order of 4 bags of coffee from these people. It cost me £40. A quick glance at the website indicates that they have spent a bit of cash on website design and branding, as well as labels, and perhaps are aiming to ape the 'boutique' roasters found in the US. I was hopeful that I would be in for a new espresso experience.

What I got was four bags of really nice filter coffee that I just couldn't get to work in the machine.  I emailed the roaster for advice on dose and output, after every shot I produced was sour and disgusting.  In all honesty, what was coming out of the machine was exactly what I would expect from roasts this light, over-powering acidity.  He and I had a conversation over a number of days, with the end result being that he very generously refunded the entire cost of my order. 

I'm really stumped by this. The only way I can get this stuff half-way decent is by down-dosing to almost half of what the roaster recommended, and then I'm left wondering why I should put it through an espresso machine rather than some other method. This roastery supplies many of the poncy 'avant-garde' coffee houses of east London, and I'm so intrigued that I'm intending to head their way and see how they do it, as at the moment getting a decent shot out of light-roast single origin is beyond me.  ??? ???

« Reply #138 on: 21 December, 2011, 10:56:58 pm »
I had a bag of coffee from Monmouth that I just couldn't get on with for similar reasons.  In the end I managed to get something acceptable out of it by upping the dose, coarsening the grind, and allowing the first couple of seconds' flow into the driptray.  It seemed like a waste though, and the end result was still not great. 

« Reply #139 on: 21 December, 2011, 11:25:46 pm »
The thing is.....

...other people are managing to get good espresso from this stuff (allegedly, unless they are just tolerating massive acidity for the sake of being cool). I dug out the Red Brick blend and by dosing at 14g and a looooong pull got something that, but for a residual bit of over-acidity, was absolutely delicious, really sweet and fruity. I think I know what they are trying to do with this stuff, but I just can't quite get there. Most frustrating. I feel like I've got to unlearn a load of stuff.

« Reply #140 on: 21 December, 2011, 11:33:51 pm »
I'm with you on the Italian style mixes with a bit of robusta thrown in.  It gives the coffee a comfortable feel with a bit of homely cushiony comfort, but still with a beautiful chocolately taste with just a hint of orange and lemon.  The robusta also gives shitloads of crema to make the thing look cool too.  I'm back on Revelation at the moment which, in a purist sense, is almost impossible to beat, but as an everyday drink I don't think it has the easy-going character of something like Happy Donkey italian blend.  My experience of various acidic and citrussy Has Bean blends was mixed - some of them were fun one-offs but none were keepers as far as I was concerned. 

« Reply #141 on: 22 December, 2011, 08:26:12 am »

and i likes it!
i'm just waiting to for a parcel from them with a couple of different types.
fingers crossed it'll be here tomorrow.

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #142 on: 22 December, 2011, 09:18:13 am »
What I got was four bags of really nice filter coffee that I just couldn't get to work in the machine.  I emailed the roaster for advice on dose and output, after every shot I produced was sour and disgusting.  In all honesty, what was coming out of the machine was exactly what I would expect from roasts this light, over-powering acidity.  He and I had a conversation over a number of days, with the end result being that he very generously refunded the entire cost of my order. 

I'm really stumped by this. The only way I can get this stuff half-way decent is by down-dosing to almost half of what the roaster recommended, and then I'm left wondering why I should put it through an espresso machine rather than some other method. This roastery supplies many of the poncy 'avant-garde' coffee houses of east London, and I'm so intrigued that I'm intending to head their way and see how they do it, as at the moment getting a decent shot out of light-roast single origin is beyond me.  ??? ???

Given your background with PIDs, I assume you've already tried tweaking the brew temperature?

Do you have any way to measure temperature stability during the shot?  I know the E61 HX machines are pretty sensitive to how much water you flush through before the shot -- but not quite sure how the DB version is going to behave.

My own suspicion is that peoples' tolerance to acidity varies quite a bit.  I'm not particularly keen on it myself: Has Bean's "Blake" blend (which I still rate really highly) is about as far as I tend to go for espresso.
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #143 on: 29 December, 2011, 10:22:16 pm »
Christmas present from my nieces:

Any aficionados (Tewdric & Flatus) want to tell me what to expect from these?

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #144 on: 29 December, 2011, 10:28:53 pm »
A banging headache if you don't take it easy  :D
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #145 on: 29 December, 2011, 10:34:26 pm »
Nothing so grand. Bought one of those Italian Bialleti wotsanames and finding it to be rather good.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #146 on: 29 December, 2011, 10:44:20 pm »
A banging headache if you don't take it easy  :D

That's the moka pot calling the cafetiere black  ;)

I expect that to last me through January easily, I'm looking forward to discerning the differences between the different blends.

« Reply #147 on: 29 December, 2011, 11:20:32 pm »
I've only tried whichever one used to be called their Premium. Great stuff, very easy to use.  The other ones I don't know, although the Jabberwockey is a bit tricky I believe. Have a look on Steve's website for more info

« Reply #148 on: 29 December, 2011, 11:32:43 pm »
Of those I've only tried Jailbreak and Kicker.  I found Jailbreak very citrusy and acidic, with a real punch to it.  I enjoyed it as espresso but it did make my teeth fizz a bit!  It doesn't fit my preconception of a classic espresso blend but is a wonderful experience if approached with an open mind about what coffee should taste like.  It came into its own for me as a long coffee at breakfast time.  Plenty of water, little milk and some raw can suger.  Few better ways to start the day.

Kicker is a different beast - I found it sublime when freshly opened but I found it got subjectively more acidic as it aged for a few days in the hopper.  I loved it a first but then wasn't so sure.  I'd be interested to hear what you think.

I think you will have some fun trying all these to see how they compare. 

« Reply #149 on: 29 December, 2011, 11:39:02 pm »
Given your background with PIDs, I assume you've already tried tweaking the brew temperature?

Do you have any way to measure temperature stability during the shot?  I know the E61 HX machines are pretty sensitive to how much water you flush through before the shot -- but not quite sure how the DB version is going to behave.

My own suspicion is that peoples' tolerance to acidity varies quite a bit.  I'm not particularly keen on it myself: Has Bean's "Blake" blend (which I still rate really highly) is about as far as I tend to go for espresso.

I did try upping the temp to see if that was causing the sourness.  Other people report having to updose with these light coffees, but I found that made it immeasureably worse.  I found a 14g double pulled to about 2oz gave a reasonable shot, but quite thin...certainly not the thick gloopy stuff I normally like. As for temp stability, I have no way of measuring it, but other coffees pull very nicely, shot after shot.

The more I read about this trend for light roasts the more I wonder if there isn't a touch of the Emporer's New Clothes about it. Certainly the UK proponents are totally apeing what is going on in the US, and as we know, they are always looking for 'something new'.  Roasteries seem to be following the pattern of micro-breweries, which is a good thing, but there is a great deal of marketing involved.  If you read the 'dogma' about the so-called 'third wave' roasteries, they are trying to claim a sort of 'appellation', whereby they 'work closely' with coffee growers and estates, often making allusions to giving the farmers a fairer deal. What this means is that you get the obligatory photo gallery on their websites with their holiday shots in Central America or Africa.

Back to the SM coffee I had, one of the bags was called 'Guji Espresso'.  What it was, was very good quality Yirgacheffe, that prepared in a filter with a comparatively low dose was absolutely lovely, but espresso?  No, sorry, it just isn't.

This is the thing, in this drive to get more and more flavour from these coffees by up-dosing massively and putting them through an espresso machine with a tiny output of liquid they are missing the point that sometimes less is more, and the subtleties are easily lost.  Espresso is not the only way to prepare coffee, but this deconstructed Starbuck's generation can't quite see beyond it yet.

I predict the next fashionable thing will be filter coffee  ;)

(this all said, I'm still intrigued enough to be thinking about going to Prufrocks or one of those other wanky London places, even though it means sitting in a room full of Nathan Barleys)