Author Topic: Bought any photography stuff today?  (Read 169162 times)

Re: Bought any photography stuff today?
« Reply #975 on: 29 February, 2020, 01:41:02 pm »
For photography as art / hobby I use a (somewhat ancient) micro 4/3 camera and a small selection of fixed focal length lenses. I'll take a couple of most shots, in case something moved or because I'm pushing my luck on the exposure somewhere or to try a different composition. I take it home to the computer to "develop" so the gratification is not that much more instant than film :) For something faster I use my phone.

I still have occasional hankerings to have a medium format camera and film.

In any case, I'm not sure I'd want the running cost of film. Lightroom says I took 3170 pictures last year, of which 1901 were on my m43 camera. If I took a medium format camera out instead of the m43 half the time and the different approach (and cost) prompted me to be more careful about composition and exposure I'd maybe take 60 rolls of 120 film in a year. It would be instead, because most of the time I'm using a bar bag and there isn't room for a whole other camera. That's maybe £400 on film and £700 to go to a local shop that develops negatives, scan to mid-MB files and deliver via dropbox. Maybe I'd then do my own analogue prints from the negatives for those that merit it, or develop the scans in lightroom and print as if digital. (I think I'd enjoy the printing, I doubt I could add much to the result by doing my own film developing.) I could upgrade my camera for that, before considering buying the camera, and the costs of any DIY printing.

« Reply #976 on: 29 February, 2020, 09:53:31 pm »
Here's my rough breakdown of cost. I've tried to do it cheaply
(Canadian dollars, sorry).
Base Camera gear:
LF:

Intrepid LF Camera + lens ~ $600
Carbon tripod + head: ~$140
Dark cloth, trigger cable, focusing loupe: $200.
Used film holders ~ $30 each
Changing tent ~ $100.

MF:

Bronica ETR with 75mm/f2.8 ~ $400
Extra film back $50

Development stuff

SP445 film tank (including base set of chemicals and 100 sheets of cheap film) $100.
Beakers, Paterson tank (for 120), thermometers, etc. $200
Chemicals:  $40.

Epson4990 scanner(ebay): $250.

4x5 film cost can add up, but there's cheap options available for messing around. The 100 sheets of Formapan100 I got with the development tank kit will last me a very long time.

Processing costs are $7/sheet. $8/roll. Pushing adds $5 to the cost. For single rolls/film holders,  I usually just drop it off at the lab. If I've been out on a 'session', I'll spend the evening doing it my self.

For $3-500 I can get a high end lens for either of those cameras and I can get perfectly functional ones for ~$150-200. The only thing I haven't been able to source cheaply has been filterholder/filters for the LF, but I probably diy a solution.

« Reply #977 on: 05 March, 2020, 04:19:50 pm »
A new charger for the Olympus OM-D E-M10 battery as I cant find the original one.
Of course now I have a new charger I will find the old one within a couple of days. Still it was only £20, works of USB and came with two batteries so at least I will have spare batteries as well as a spare charger.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #978 on: 21 March, 2020, 06:55:26 pm »
Lab is now closed, trying to buy colour chemicals (both E-6 and C-41), but local supply shop is also closed and can't buy it online as they wont ship chemicals.
Argh.

« Reply #979 on: 28 March, 2020, 08:41:45 am »
(Note, lab has not re-opened for mail slot drop-off and pre-booked pick-ups)

Meanwhile, my Zenzanon 150mm (80mm equivalent) for my Bronica arrived:

« Reply #980 on: 10 May, 2020, 06:12:32 pm »
A new Olympus 4/3 to OM Zukio adaptor. It seems those clever peeps in China are now knocking them out with inbuilt electronics that will enable focus beep and also F stop and shutter speed information to be displayed in the viewfinder when using old manual lenses. Amazing for £20. Lets see how it works when it arrives.

paul851

« Reply #981 on: 14 May, 2020, 03:27:51 pm »
Wide and tele auxiliary lenses for my Yashica mat plus I managed to luck out and find a new in box hood for same  so no more floppy waist level finder  8)

Paul

« Reply #982 on: 14 May, 2020, 05:42:58 pm »
I have taken a gamble on a second hand Panasonic lumix DMC FZ7 . I will have a look online for instructions for it as there are none with it .I will put some pictures up when I have sused it out  :-)
I too took a Gumtree Gamble and bought a Lumix DMC-GF2 with the standard 14-42mm lens for £50, including a case. Seems OK so far, though I suspect a new battery might be in order. I'd like the 14mm f2.5 lens for it to make it less bulky, but that's at least twice the price I paid for the camera!
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #983 on: 15 May, 2020, 11:50:42 am »
I too took a Gumtree Gamble and bought a Lumix DMC-GF2 with the standard 14-42mm lends for £50, including a case. Seems OK so far, though I suspect a new battery might be in order. I'd like the 14mm f2.5 lens for it to make it less bulky, but that's at least twice the price I paid for the camera!

I had one of these and we had happy times together. I think I got £20 or £30 as a trade in for the body only so you got a bargain there. BTW, the screens lose their coatings after a while but this isn't a problem. Miss W still uses the 14-42mm lens on her (was mine) G6. It's a good lens despite its low price. Top tip: get a good 3rd party battery. I've bought a few (for various cameras) and they've always been good.

I also have the 14mm f2.5 prime and it's a real beaut. On the GF2 it makes a handy pocketable walkabout camera.
Pen Pusher

« Reply #984 on: 16 May, 2020, 09:49:27 am »
Thanks. I'm tempted by the 14mm lens for the exact reason you mentioned: portability. Can't justify it now though. I think I will splash out on a battery though, as they're only £15 or so.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #985 on: 16 May, 2020, 12:55:08 pm »
I too took a Gumtree Gamble and bought a Lumix DMC-GF2 with the standard 14-42mm lends for £50, including a case. Seems OK so far, though I suspect a new battery might be in order. I'd like the 14mm f2.5 lens for it to make it less bulky, but that's at least twice the price I paid for the camera!
I had a GF2, nice camera and at that price a bargain  :thumbsup:
I've also had the 14mm lens, it's good for what it is, but the focal length didn't really suit me, I swapped it for the 12 - 32 which is only a tiny bit bigger.  It losses a bit of speed, but gains stabilisation, so it's very usable. If you do want a prime lens, the 20mm 1.7 is outstanding, a bit larger and heavier and no stabalisation, even so if I could only have one lens this would be it.

« Reply #986 on: 25 June, 2020, 08:35:38 am »
A Godex TT350o speedlite flash for me OM-D EM10 and a macro diffuser to go with it.

« Reply #987 on: 28 May, 2021, 09:25:15 pm »
Just to wake up the thread i have just bought my first new camera since my Cosina CT1G in 1982 (or 83). It's a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ82. I was originally thinking of a bridge because I never really got my hands round compacts but the inconvenients of not wanting to haul a bridge on a bike won out so I have, for the same price as a budget Lumix bridge a Lumix compact (which seems to fit my hands, in part due to the viewfinder). It's still charging and has far more features than I wanted (pretty much comparable with the bridge) but one thing I am going to appreciate is being to lock out the digital zoom. Time will tell if it's a wise choice (the cover over the charging port looks particularly frail). Trying it out this week-end at the vide-grenier!

ps I still have the Cosina (and use it from time to time). The new camera replaces a very cheap Fuji compact that was a birthday present (for my 50th IIRC so that's over a decade ago).

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #988 on: 30 May, 2021, 12:15:28 am »
I have rehomed several items of 35mm film kit with members of this parish of late.
There seems to be a demand.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #989 on: 30 May, 2021, 06:23:04 pm »
 By huge coincidence, this morning I was the recipient of a rehomed, very shiny, Pentax ME Super with a gorgeous 50mm f1.7 lens attached. All achieved via the medium of herding cats.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #990 on: 30 May, 2021, 07:11:44 pm »
Cats are easier to herd!

« Reply #991 on: 08 August, 2021, 09:46:06 am »
A Rollei P350A 35mm slide projector of that eBay. Weirdly it cam with six boxes of someone's holiday snaps from the 60s and 70s.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #992 on: 23 August, 2021, 11:32:56 pm »
House clearance following a death, I suspect...

« Reply #993 on: 31 August, 2021, 06:18:13 pm »
Had a Fuji XPro3 related shopcident after one of their free 48 hour trials.  A great way to sell, the sneaky bastards.

« Reply #994 on: 31 August, 2021, 07:45:43 pm »
Some bigger filters, as my old set was showing in the corners of the wider lens I got a little while back.

« Reply #995 on: 02 December, 2021, 10:17:01 pm »
Some of you will understand - a few years ago I sold my Zeiss Ikon rangefinder camera. The Ikon was the camera that documented our girls early years and which gave me more connection with my subjects than anything else I’ve used. I’ve always regretted that sale and Mrs S has seen that over the years.

Tonight I’ve purchased a replacement and I’m delighted to have had the opportunity. Scanner out and Dev tanks warming up:)

Mike

« Reply #996 on: 05 December, 2021, 09:07:27 am »
ooh, they're lovely - I borrowed one for a few weeks back in the 90s, amazing body to use.   I've recently scratched the rangefinder itch with a fuji x-pro 3 and am loving the way it doesn't separate you from the subject like a DSLR.  You've very welcome to borrow it for a bit if you're tempted! (or fuji do a 48 hour free test, I think)

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #997 on: 14 January, 2022, 10:41:13 pm »
lovely Nikon F-301 SLR, with a 28 - 80 Zoom lens. The only downside I can see from the start is that the frame counter doesn't reset to zero when a new film is loaded.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

« Reply #998 on: 15 January, 2022, 04:23:23 pm »
ooh, they're lovely - I borrowed one for a few weeks back in the 90s, amazing body to use.   I've recently scratched the rangefinder itch with a fuji x-pro 3 and am loving the way it doesn't separate you from the subject like a DSLR.  You've very welcome to borrow it for a bit if you're tempted! (or fuji do a 48 hour free test, I think)

Thanks Mike - belated as I’ve been under the work cosh for months! I’ve actually got an XPro2 which is lovely, but actually better with Fuji’s own autofocus lenses than with my M glass. Apart from the crop sensor the focus patch is in the wrong place:( I know that’s a bit fussy and very much a first world problem. But I like film too - and the Ikon is a delight.

I have been known to stick my old Canon FD28 on the XP2 and stop it down to f8 and just scale/zone focus my way through a walk. The c.40mm fog in 35mm terms suits me well.

Mike

« Reply #999 on: 15 January, 2022, 04:24:20 pm »
lovely Nikon F-301 SLR, with a 28 - 80 Zoom lens. The only downside I can see from the start is that the frame counter doesn't reset to zero when a new film is loaded.

That sounds nice. Given I’m never looking at the counter when I finish a roll I wouldn’t be too concerned about it not resetting:)