Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 477185 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #4450 on: 11 August, 2023, 09:39:13 am »
It's not looking as if I actually have any underlying heart problems or asthma.  Somewhat embarrassingly, I think it's general anxiety disorder.  All the symptoms fit, as does the timing (it vanished for a week on holiday and returned on the very day we flew back).

Could easily be.  When I worked in London I used to get heartburn after every meal. It disappeared when we came back to France.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4451 on: 11 August, 2023, 10:24:19 am »
Hoo-bloody-ray!  I just got rid of the albatros dressing on my chest and I'm free to ride again. 11 days' stagnation to recover from now.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #4452 on: 11 August, 2023, 04:59:47 pm »
Gah! Another ear infection. A definite consequence of wearing my hearing aids more of the time. I think I’m going to have to upgrade my HA cleaning skills as a first step in reducing the infections.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #4453 on: 11 August, 2023, 08:18:25 pm »
Unsolicited advice: I can recommend pipecleaners and ultrasonic cleaners + a drybox to dry the earmoulds or domes out.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #4454 on: 11 August, 2023, 11:08:57 pm »
Novice here, thanking B for that advice.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

barakta

« Reply #4455 on: 12 August, 2023, 12:50:01 am »
Different people have different levels of oiliness of ear wax or sweatiness in that area. Some people may need to clean hearing aid "in the ear" bits every day or every few days.

A tactic that might work for the daily cleaner folk is to run 2 sets of moulds/domes, so one is washing/drying while the others are on the HAs so you don't wake up without clean functional moulds etc. May also help to ensure they get to properly dry/air out.

I should note I haven't worn in the ear hearing aids since a 6 month trial in about 1987... But I found I needed to clean the moulds a lot as I didn't like the feeling of waxy moulds. My mum was remarkably tolerant. As a teacher of the deaf some 20yrs later, she spent a lot of time dealing with kids whose moulds were beyond minging.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4456 on: 12 August, 2023, 01:32:35 am »
Not being a hearing aid user, but as a veteran of countless ear infections with experience of dealing with barkata's abutments when they go manky, it's my considered opinion that ear moulds are the sort of thing that makes a hole in your head seem like an attractive option   :hand:

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #4457 on: 14 August, 2023, 11:45:00 pm »
OMFG

I made an ordering mistake last night
And bought a kashmiri chicken tikka korma
Made with actual dairy cream

For some reason I thought the place used coconut cream for that

Last night's bloating was not fun
Today has not been fun

I need to bring forward my WGAC delivery.

Sent from my IV2201 using Tapatalk

« Reply #4458 on: 22 August, 2023, 09:11:52 am »
2 weeks ago as above, I thought I had a virus which put me in bed for 24 hours within a couple of hours of symptoms starting.  I also developed a severely overactive bladder waking 4 times per night and need to urgently find a toilet every 2 hours or less during the day.  All accompanied by total lethargy and brain fog. 

Anyway we were at the start of a 2 week holiday in Scotland seeing relatives and FiL's 90th birthday party.  So Pulled myself together and we did the party and the tour round Wester Ross and Skye afterwards.

Went to the GP yesterday who thought probably a UTI which is unusual in men and asked about loin pain.  I said no loin pain.

Got home and sat in the chair almost asleep when I realised I do have loin pain bilaterally.  I had been putting it down to bad hotel beds and general stiffness.

I reckon I am working at about 30% of normal function so this today back to the GP and my wife is coming to tell them how bad I really am.

« Reply #4459 on: 22 August, 2023, 09:46:35 am »
back to the GP and my wife is coming to tell them how bad I really am.

Hubby an I were talking about the prostate/PSA/MRI scan results reported today.
"I wonder what made the men volunteer?"
"The ones whose wives saw the invite and told them to"

GWS Chris.

« Reply #4460 on: 22 August, 2023, 11:49:30 am »
GP agreed that a course of antibiotics would be very sensible.

barakta

« Reply #4461 on: 22 August, 2023, 02:07:11 pm »
Hope antibiotics help soonest.

« Reply #4462 on: 22 August, 2023, 04:13:11 pm »
So do I😂. Seriously feel worse than when I had covid.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4463 on: 22 August, 2023, 04:30:58 pm »
GWS, Chris.

barakta

« Reply #4464 on: 22 August, 2023, 04:37:39 pm »
So do I😂. Seriously feel worse than when I had covid.

UTIs can be seriously nasty - cruddiness, fatigue. I had a spate of kidney infections as a teen and could be unwell and floppy for weeks.

And I suspect cos men are less susceptible, you're more likely to get more serious/embedded infection before treatment so it takes a bit longer to perk up.

Keep on resting and all that boring drinking plenty of fluids advice!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4465 on: 22 August, 2023, 10:59:12 pm »
The mention of floppies and kidney infections is giving me exam flashbacks...   :hand:

« Reply #4466 on: 28 August, 2023, 01:13:07 am »

Ultra-processed food raises risk of heart attack and stroke, two studies show

Ultra-processed foods are products that have gone through multiple processes during manufacturing. They are often high in salt and sugar and may contain additives and preservatives. Often, the foods are low in fibre and lacking the nutrients present in fresh or minimally processed foods, such as fresh fruit and vegetables, plain yoghurt and homemade bread.

Previous studies have linked eating high levels of ultra-processed foods with a range of health problems including obesity, type 2 diabetes and cancer.

Speaking to reporters in Amsterdam, one of the researchers behind the first study, Anushriya Pant, of the University of Sydney, said many people were unaware that food they assume is healthy, such as shop-bought sandwiches, wraps, soups and low-fat yoghurts, were in fact UPF. “It could be that foods you think are healthy are actually contributing to you developing high blood pressure,” she said.

Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #4467 on: 28 August, 2023, 06:51:34 pm »
I have taken my antibiotics and drunk lots. I am feeling a lot better so I tried 20 minutes zone 2 and I am knackered. I can see I need this week off as well.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4468 on: 29 August, 2023, 09:03:18 am »
MrsT read somewhere yesterday (Nature Briefing or such) that wonder-drug Metformin may mitigate the effects of Covid and help avoid long Covid.  I still hate the stuff.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #4469 on: 29 August, 2023, 10:36:47 am »
It seems that I am into inadvertent nocturnal self-harm. Twice last night I woke myself up having dug a finger nail into my scalp. I think I shall have to wear cotton gloves when I go to bed.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #4470 on: 29 August, 2023, 10:49:39 am »
It seems that I am into inadvertent nocturnal self-harm. Twice last night I woke myself up having dug a finger nail into my scalp. I think I shall have to wear cotton gloves when I go to bed.
Were you not wearing a helmet?
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #4471 on: 29 August, 2023, 05:03:23 pm »
Bah, I’ve had 2 or 3 vitreous haemorrhages in my left eye since Friday, the last, this morning, leaving so many blood particles and streamers that it’s effectively useless for vision.  I went to A&E this morning (before the last bleed) and was given a referral to the urgent eye care clinic. I missed their call at work, and then had another bleed that took me back to A&E. I’ve an appointment on Thursday afternoon.  The consultant uttered the phrase “have you had injections in your eye”  :(. Ok, it’s probably self limiting, and, like the one I had in my right eye a few years ago, will clear up eventually, but right now it’s a bit scary.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #4472 on: 29 August, 2023, 06:06:14 pm »
Hope it settles down soon - sounds scary!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #4473 on: 30 August, 2023, 02:07:53 pm »
Hope it settles down soon - sounds scary!

Thank you. No further bleeds for 24hrs, so fingers crossed!. Bloody hard work working one-eyed tho - especially with the distraction of all the floaters and streamers in the other. I might seek out an eye patch.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4474 on: 30 August, 2023, 03:45:16 pm »
Bah, I’ve had 2 or 3 vitreous haemorrhages in my left eye since Friday...  scary.

Gawd, that sounds awful. Good luck tomorrow.