Author Topic: Forks  (Read 7958 times)

Si

Forks
« on: 07 September, 2014, 05:50:49 pm »
Having totally lost touch with MTBing for many years due to an injury I'm now getting back to it and rebuilding a bike.  Got most of the stuff but need a fork and have no idea of what is good and what isn't these days (last one I bought was an MXC Comp many many years ago). 
It's a hard tail that will take a 100 to a 120mm travel fork.  My riding is mostly XC and enduro rather than head banging, so reliability, moderately light and would be nice to have a lockout for the smooth bits.  I'm looking at second hand, maybe up to around £150ish.  Any suggestions of what to consider?
Ta.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
Re: Forks
« Reply #1 on: 07 September, 2014, 06:22:05 pm »
Rockshox Reba is probably the standard and second hand should be in budget, just check the axle type. I'm guessing that you need a QR but some of tehm are now through axle which would probably need a new hub....

« Reply #2 on: 19 October, 2014, 08:25:34 pm »
I just bought a 2014 Suntour Epicon in 100mm flavour and I'm really impressed. It's on Sue's bike - mine has a Fox FLoat 32 - and just riding it around the Suntour seems really very good - and I paid £130 new.

Si

« Reply #3 on: 22 October, 2014, 02:51:04 pm »
I ended up with a fox talas 120mm for a very good second hand price. 
Compared to my old pace rc36 evoII 90mm travel fork it is a whole new world!