Author Topic: Prostate Cancer Surgery and Riding a Bike  (Read 10420 times)

Prostate Cancer Surgery and Riding a Bike
« on: 13 April, 2011, 08:24:25 am »
Two years ago next month I was on here, worried about my mate, and asking about enlarged prostates. It got him to visit the doctor and he continues in mediocre health insisting that all is fine.
I, meanwhile, goes to the quack with constipation just four weeks ago and now find myself on the waiting list for surgery for prostate cancer. What irony!  :D
I'm a little disappointed too that I've spent the Winter planning mini tours in the Welsh Marches and now they aren't likely to happen this year.  :)
I've been caught very early and my hospital is highly regarded in this field. My worst fear, besides dying and my mate Dave getting his hands on my Brompton, is ending up with a permanent catheter and bag. The national average for that is 5% but my hospital is at 2%.

Anyways, I'm after information on cycling after prostate surgery. Recovery times and the like would be helpful. I have spoken to Chris Bell who is the only cyclist I know with prostate cancer. Has anybody else experience of it, please?

Never knowingly under caffeinated

Re: Prostate Cancer Surgery and Riding a Bike
« Reply #1 on: 13 April, 2011, 08:52:45 am »
nobby,
I had a TURP just over a year ago. This is the 'standard' prostate operation to fix an enlarged prostate causing bladder outlet obstruction. The middle of the prostate is cored out and the outer part is left in place. The operation is keyhole going up the urethra via the penis. I was amazed how little pain I had after the operation and was turning down the offer of painkillers. I was in hospital for 3 days and riding a bike again after 6 weeks.
I have no discomfort riding now, after a few weeks feeling a bit tender over bumps.

Result, I can now urinate again at a normal flow and go hours before needing to go again - life changing for me.

A few months after the operation I was recalled and told I had incidental prostate cancer, the biopsy on a few of the extracted prostate samples was positive. I am currently under observation until it gets bad enough for treatment...

Do you know just what surgery you are scheduled for, or will it depend on what the surgeon finds?
Removing part of the prostate would be like having a TURP as above. Complete removal of the prostate means that the bladder and urethra have to be rejoined and heal up for normal urination (and cycling) to continue.

Whilst waiting (4 months) for my operation I was trained in inserting and using catheters on an occasional basis for relief and to retrain my bladder to completely empty. This was not as gruesome as it sounds and it is possible to live like this using catheters which are inserted and removed after use and discarded.

I sadly lost a friend to aggressive prostate cancer recently and he ended up with a fixed catheter through the lower abdomen to a bag. He did not let this stop him going out and living as he wanted.

I hope this information is useful and wish you complete success in your surgery.
Happy cycling for many more years.
Julian.

« Reply #2 on: 13 April, 2011, 09:18:43 am »
nobby,
I had a TURP just over a year ago. This is the 'standard' prostate operation to fix an enlarged prostate causing bladder outlet obstruction. The middle of the prostate is cored out and the outer part is left in place. The operation is keyhole going up the urethra via the penis. I was amazed how little pain I had after the operation and was turning down the offer of painkillers. I was in hospital for 3 days and riding a bike again after 6 weeks.
I have no discomfort riding now, after a few weeks feeling a bit tender over bumps.

Result, I can now urinate again at a normal flow and go hours before needing to go again - life changing for me.

A few months after the operation I was recalled and told I had incidental prostate cancer, the biopsy on a few of the extracted prostate samples was positive. I am currently under observation until it gets bad enough for treatment...

Do you know just what surgery you are scheduled for, or will it depend on what the surgeon finds?
Removing part of the prostate would be like having a TURP as above. Complete removal of the prostate means that the bladder and urethra have to be rejoined and heal up for normal urination (and cycling) to continue.

Whilst waiting (4 months) for my operation I was trained in inserting and using catheters on an occasional basis for relief and to retrain my bladder to completely empty. This was not as gruesome as it sounds and it is possible to live like this using catheters which are inserted and removed after use and discarded.

I sadly lost a friend to aggressive prostate cancer recently and he ended up with a fixed catheter through the lower abdomen to a bag. He did not let this stop him going out and living as he wanted.

I hope this information is useful and wish you complete success in your surgery.
Happy cycling for many more years.
Julian.

Thanks for that; very helpful.
I'll be having complete removal but don't know yet whether keyhole or open. The surgeon needs to check if previous stomach surgery will interfere with his incisions. If keyhole, it may be robotic so it's only an overnight in hospital.
Was your friend able to cycle with the bag? I've been told not, but none of them are cyclists.
Thanks for replying  :)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3 on: 13 April, 2011, 09:19:07 am »
Hi nobby.  Sorry to hear you've got to have surgery, but I am very very happy that you've been diagnosed.  Late discovery is the biggest risk, as I am sure you are aware.  Glad you had the good sense to get to the doctor.

I'm sure that there are some other cyclists who have had prostate surgery, but I can't remember who they are.  I definitely remember it's been mentioned.  So all is not lost.  

Best of luck in the hospital.  Keep us posted on your progress.
Getting there...

« Reply #4 on: 13 April, 2011, 09:25:31 am »
Hi nobby.  Sorry to hear you've got to have surgery, but I am very very happy that you've been diagnosed.  Late discovery is the biggest risk, as I am sure you are aware.  Glad you had the good sense to get to the doctor.

I'm sure that there are some other cyclists who have had prostate surgery, but I can't remember who they are.  I definitely remember it's been mentioned.  So all is not lost.  

Best of luck in the hospital.  Keep us posted on your progress.

Cheers TJ
It's working out alright, so far. Herself has bought me an iPad and a new pair of Exustar shoes. Not sure how much longer she will wear me playing the victim card, though  ;D

« Reply #5 on: 13 April, 2011, 09:53:51 am »
Was your friend able to cycle with the bag? I've been told not, but none of them are cyclists.
nobby,
My friend was not a cyclist, so don't know, but I reckon you will be able to.

If you are using intermittent catheters then you will certainly be able to cycle as they are packaged up sterile ready for use and can be obtained complete with a sterile water supply built in (they use water soluble lubricant to make insertion easy). You would only need to use one every four or five hours, so breakfast, lunch and supper time where there is access to a toilet/wash basin and/or some privacy.

A long term catheter will likely have a small sterile water filled 'balloon' on the inner end to keep the catheter in place in the bladder. There might be some discomfort, but I would think that cycling is possible on a normal bike or a recumbent.
If you are riding a recumbent with a raised legs seating position then you can get an on/off tap on the feed to the leg bag, switched to off to prevent back flow into the bladder while pedalling.

Your surgeon hopefully has some cycling patients/friends and can advise.
Julian.

« Reply #6 on: 13 April, 2011, 11:55:47 am »
I have tried cycling with an indwelling catheter and it was not good, firstly you will have to empty the bag as soon as it fills up as it heavy as you cycle with the up and down movements I also found it was uncomfortable in the seating area as the catheter presses on the saddle nose, maybe one of those cut-out saddle maybe the answer.
With the intermittent catheters I got UTI like there was no tomorrow and I couldn't get on with them
most of the time now I wear nappies (the all-in-ones) it's not ideal, but it works for me.

« Reply #7 on: 13 April, 2011, 12:55:12 pm »
I have tried cycling with an indwelling catheter and it was not good, firstly you will have to empty the bag as soon as it fills up as it heavy as you cycle with the up and down movements I also found it was uncomfortable in the seating area as the catheter presses on the saddle nose, maybe one of those cut-out saddle maybe the answer.
With the intermittent catheters I got UTI like there was no tomorrow and I couldn't get on with them
most of the time now I wear nappies (the all-in-ones) it's not ideal, but it works for me.

Thanks, Nn
You are experiencing my worst case fears, is it ok if I pm you, please?

« Reply #8 on: 13 April, 2011, 03:19:10 pm »
yes you can PM me, but I didn't have prostate trouble, mine was caused through an accident which damaged my spine

« Reply #9 on: 13 April, 2011, 09:26:47 pm »
You have to listen to your own medical advice and your body. My experience of radical prostatectomy was this.
Operation was late April 2007 with the catheter removed 2 weeks later. Did a lot of walking and was back on the bike in early June after 6 weeks. We went on holiday in the first week of July when I managed to climb Alpe d' Huez.In April 2008 I did LEJOG in 7 days raising money for the Prostate Cancer Charity. This was done with the full knowledge,and positive encouragement of the medical team.
Hope this helps and you can PM me if you want to talk more about it
From the Hillfoots to the hilltops

« Reply #10 on: 14 April, 2011, 07:44:52 am »
You have to listen to your own medical advice and your body. My experience of radical prostatectomy was this.
Operation was late April 2007 with the catheter removed 2 weeks later. Did a lot of walking and was back on the bike in early June after 6 weeks. We went on holiday in the first week of July when I managed to climb Alpe d' Huez.In April 2008 I did LEJOG in 7 days raising money for the Prostate Cancer Charity. This was done with the full knowledge,and positive encouragement of the medical team.
Hope this helps and you can PM me if you want to talk more about it

That's very positive news indeed, thank you for letting me know.
I couldn't manage that level of activity pre op.  :D

AAO

« Reply #11 on: 15 April, 2011, 11:26:32 pm »
I had a very enlarged prostate and had the operation last July in my local (small) hospital. Some discomfort and bleeding after the operation, but I was riding pain free after 9 weeks. Thankfully, I've had no problems at all and being able to "go" is such a relief  ;)

After a heart attack, skin cancer, pneumonia, cataract, I can safely say that my prostate operation was the least disruptive to my life.

Good luck and try not to worry. Doctors really are very skilled.

« Reply #12 on: 16 April, 2011, 10:30:43 am »
I had a very enlarged prostate and had the operation last July in my local (small) hospital. Some discomfort and bleeding after the operation, but I was riding pain free after 9 weeks. Thankfully, I've had no problems at all and being able to "go" is such a relief  ;)

After a heart attack, skin cancer, pneumonia, cataract, I can safely say that my prostate operation was the least disruptive to my life.

Good luck and try not to worry. Doctors really are very skilled.

Thanks AAO
All the replies are pretty positive. While I'm not looking forward to it I am fairly at ease.

Thanks again to all who have replied and for the pm's of support