Author Topic: What's happened to flickr..?  (Read 3862 times)

What's happened to flickr..?
« on: 25 March, 2014, 11:43:42 pm »
There's a new layout and I can't see how to display images at different sizes.  e.g.  can only view a panorama in a smaller letterbox size.  How does one view the "original" size?
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

clarion

• Tyke
Re: What's happened to flickr..?
« Reply #1 on: 26 March, 2014, 07:26:48 am »
Annoying, isn't it?  Getting links for posting on fora has become even more difficult than before (and a bit hit and miss).
Getting there...

« Reply #2 on: 26 March, 2014, 08:16:38 am »
If it aint broke...    :hand:

(unless I'm missing something obvious)

Chris N

« Reply #3 on: 26 March, 2014, 08:38:11 am »

You are.  Click the three dots (More Actions) to the right of the pic, click Download/All Sizes, click View All Sizes.

Chris N

« Reply #4 on: 26 March, 2014, 08:39:45 am »
Annoying, isn't it?  Getting links for posting on fora has become even more difficult than before (and a bit hit and miss).

Click the share icon (square with arrow), click the drawing pin, select the size you want from the dropdown, copy the URL.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5 on: 26 March, 2014, 10:14:56 am »
Yes, but it only shows part of the URL, and only about one time in three will it scroll across to select the whole thing.  It's annoying.
Getting there...

« Reply #6 on: 26 March, 2014, 10:26:24 am »

You are.  Click the three dots (More Actions) to the right of the pic, click Download/All Sizes, click View All Sizes.
OK thanks Chris.

Though it's now a tad 'buried' in the menus.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #7 on: 26 March, 2014, 10:42:18 am »
And whatever it displays, it seems to think my screen is about ten foot wide.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #8 on: 26 March, 2014, 12:14:31 pm »
I tend to use Google+ or Facebook for sharing images. By luck or design both allow copying of the URL from a selected/displayed image.

« Reply #9 on: 26 March, 2014, 07:35:42 pm »
Are these problems part of

"Yahoo's faster Flickr photo page now out of beta testing"

I looked at it a couple of times during beta but switched back each time in minutes.  Looks like no option now. 

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #10 on: 29 March, 2014, 09:29:12 pm »
Bloody 'orrible, innit?  Don't use it but Belgian chum does: I thought he'd changed the presentation himself, evidently not. Maybe they'll now squeeze the pics laterally a bit more and shove in an advert sidebar à la FB.

PBase forever!
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #11 on: 29 March, 2014, 11:43:01 pm »
I quite like the new Flickr once you work out where everything is.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #12 on: 23 April, 2015, 08:59:57 am »
Now seems to be randomly complaining I'm not on a supported browser.
 :hand:

« Reply #13 on: 03 May, 2015, 07:48:31 pm »
No need to scroll to copy the url just use  ctrl-C as always.   I don't get the 3 dots any more but have a down arrow on an underscore.

Arellcat

• Velonautte
« Reply #14 on: 09 May, 2015, 08:13:58 pm »
Flickr is now auto-tagging photographs, based on image recognition magic.  Some say that this has been going on for a number of months and Flickr is simply making it visible.

Naturally Flickr doesn't care for what's left of its Pro community, whose subscriptions are increasingly meaningless.  And anyone's carefully curated image tags are now being spoiled without so much as a by-your-leave.  Neither can you currently remove those auto-tags in bulk fashion through the Organizr, only photograph by photograph.

Some of us might not mind so much were those auto-tags vaguely correct or useful, or respectful of the country of origin of the photographer or the photographer's intended subject, or applied only to photographs that didn't already have tags.
Quote from: Morningsider
I like that you think any of your conveyances might qualify as "a disguise".

David Martin

« Reply #15 on: 16 May, 2015, 07:52:58 pm »
The new uploader is crap. It hangs on individual pictures attemtping to upload them over and over again. It magically syncs everything as public (whilst claiming to not do so).

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #16 on: 18 May, 2015, 10:12:27 am »
What are the alternatives to flickr?

I just want something that I can upload pictures to, and then show on sites like this. flickr used to fit the bill really well, but is becoming unusable now.

Uploading to google drive from my phone and computer is dead easy, but embedding the photos seems to be impossible.

Are there any other sites where it's as easy as flickr used to be?

(Edit to add) imgur.com seems to work ok.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #17 on: 18 May, 2015, 01:01:55 pm »
As an existing user, Dropbox works well for me (Windows 7). Right-clicking an image in my Dropbox folder gives an option to "Copy public link" in the context menu, which can then be pasted into the img tags here.

David Martin

« Reply #18 on: 25 May, 2015, 04:15:27 pm »
Flickr uploader is still rubbish. It claims to have uploaded 52 pics - I can only see 30 on FLickr. either that or there is a silly cache somewhere (virginmedia, stop buggering up the internet) or their servers are not updating properly.

David Martin

« Reply #19 on: 05 June, 2015, 08:56:22 am »
Their availability is somewhat borked. I've uploaded pictures and can see the thumbnails etc but they now do a 'this pic is no longer available'

Not really impressed.

« Reply #20 on: 02 July, 2015, 09:01:35 pm »
Aha! I've just spotted one fantastic new feature - it lets you download whole albums as zip files.

I kinda used Flickr as an online backup while away from the UK, but it was useless as you could only download one photo at a time (after going through about seven different options within each photo). Or use a third party app, and none of the ones I tried worked.

So it's now usable as an online backup. And I can download my photos. Hurrah!

« Reply #21 on: 15 July, 2015, 07:03:37 am »
what`s going on with it  ???

I`m trying to use `share` facility and instead of getting the BB / HTML / photo sizes type dialog to grab a link all I get is ability to share to facebook / tumblr / pinterest etc (which btw is of no use to me at all)

Anyone know how to do the good ole `grab a link` type operation?

ta
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #22 on: 18 July, 2015, 10:41:51 pm »
On my screen (Google Chrome) in the "Share"  pop up box , there are 5 boxes for sharing on various social meeja sites, but below that there is "Grab link" ,"HTML embed" and "BB Code" .
 The BB Code is then highlighted in another box below.

Share 1 photo to:
Facebook  Tumblr  Twitter  Pinterest  Mail

Grab link   HTML embed   BBCode

David Martin

« Reply #23 on: 26 May, 2016, 11:25:41 pm »
Flickr seem to have done something to divorce their upload from the main site. Previously each photo would appear as soon as it was uploaded. Now it seems to have to go through some sort of caching process and takes hours to appear.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #24 on: 27 May, 2016, 07:50:31 am »
They could well be putting them through some sort of image analysis prior to offering searches for similar images or even search by sketch.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight