Author Topic: Samsung pulling out of UK camera market  (Read 2031 times)

Samsung pulling out of UK camera market
« on: 26 November, 2015, 04:44:16 pm »
http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/latest/photo-news/samsung-to-axe-digital-cameras-and-camcorders-sales-in-uk-66286

I hope no one went down the Samsung mirrorless route, as it will be grey imports for lenses and bodies in years to come. The NX1 did get very good reviews though.

The camera did have special baseball rather than cricket mode, so the writing was on the wall.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
Re: Samsung pulling out of UK camera market
« Reply #1 on: 26 November, 2015, 05:00:29 pm »
I did read a rumour a couple of months ago that Samsung was stopping camera production full stop. I suppose their market for compacts is losing to smartphones (of which I understand they make one or two) and the interchangeable lens market wasn't working for them. Shame Samsung didn't get into bed with Olympus and Panasonic on m4/3 though.
Pen Pusher

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2 on: 26 November, 2015, 10:19:32 pm »
That's a shame.  And I agree with Woofage.  I wish there were more m43 manufacturers.
Getting there...

« Reply #3 on: 27 November, 2015, 07:54:13 am »
IMO the Samsung S4 Zoom smartphone (and probably more recent similar designs) are great little pocket cameras and make good backups for 'real' cameras where interweb quality is all that is required. It's also adequate for large images in small format books (or small images in large format books). I'll definitely consider another if/when I need to replace mine.

BUT

I'll never consider Samsung if I want a replacement dedicated real (dSLR) camera - and never would have.

I think they're making a well considered business decision.
We have two ears and one mouth for a reason. We should do twice as much listening as talking.

« Reply #4 on: 27 November, 2015, 07:58:59 am »
The NX500’s ultra-high-resolution, 28-million-pixel, backside-illuminated APS-C-sized sensor was borrowed from the NX1 announced at Photokina in September 2014.

Did they wonder why their marketing was doing so badly in the UK?

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #5 on: 28 November, 2015, 10:32:09 am »
I don't think there's much money in compact digital cameras now.  Apparently profit margins on DSLRs are many times greater but of course that's a much smaller market.

The resolution and features have probably got to the point where no-one bothers upgrading until the thing breaks, and competition from smartphones is huge.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #6 on: 28 November, 2015, 05:45:31 pm »
The NX500’s ultra-high-resolution, 28-million-pixel, backside-illuminated APS-C-sized sensor was borrowed from the NX1 announced at Photokina in September 2014.

Did they wonder why their marketing was doing so badly in the UK?

Well Sony appear to be selling all the backside illuminated sensor A7RIIs then can make, at present.  Lends a new dimension to "the sun shining out of your arse". 
IGMC
Wombat

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #7 on: 02 December, 2015, 08:53:37 pm »
And now rumours that Nikon have bought Samsung's mirrorless technology. Maybe Nikon are going to take mirrorless seriously...
http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/hot-rumor-nikon-bought-samsung-nx-mirrorless-tech/