Author Topic: The Future of Digital Photography  (Read 15219 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: The Future of Digital Photography
« Reply #75 on: 07 April, 2016, 07:05:18 pm »
Photos have become bookmarks to our memories.

I think it's more they've become illustrations to our conversations.  The average photo shared on TwitFace is surprisingly hard to find more than a couple of days later, even when it's you that sent it.

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #76 on: 07 April, 2016, 07:40:51 pm »
Photos have become bookmarks to our memories.

I think it's more they've become illustrations to our conversations.

Sure. The ones we upload.

But my point is they're a different beast than photographs. Beautiful-photographs-taken-by-proper-photographers-who-understand-photography is not what we're dealing in here. Phone photos are a different phenomenon because they have quite a different purpose. And yet everyone knows a beautiful photograph when they see one, even if they can't articulate why it's beautiful. (That is the basis of the 'Shot On iPhone' billboard campaign consisting of only the image and the words 'shot on iphone': it tells you almost nothing.) Actually, most people don't know what photographers do to make beautiful photographs - or that they do anything at all. They assume it must be the camera that makes the beauty. So you hear people say things such as, "ooh, nice photo! What phone have you got?... How much are those?" (At which point the camera-phone-maker sells another camera-phone.)

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #77 on: 08 April, 2016, 12:12:26 am »
Actually, most people don't know what photographers do to make beautiful photographs - or that they do anything at all.

Too true.

I wonder if they realise the amount of post-prod manipulation that goes on in every beautiful "pro" image they ever see, and why that's the reason their photos can almost never hope to stack up.

If it's not shot in RAW format then you are at an immediate disadvantage unless the lighting conditions were extremely favourable.

"Gimme RAW" would be my highest priority of a smart phone (But I don't mind dicking about in Photoshop for half an hour per photo).
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #78 on: 09 April, 2016, 09:33:42 am »
Actually, most people don't know what photographers do to make beautiful photographs - or that they do anything at all.

Too true.

I wonder if they realise the amount of post-prod manipulation that goes on in every beautiful "pro" image they ever see, and why that's the reason their photos can almost never hope to stack up.

If it's not shot in RAW format then you are at an immediate disadvantage unless the lighting conditions were extremely favourable.

"Gimme RAW" would be my highest priority of a smart phone (But I don't mind dicking about in Photoshop for half an hour per photo).

I suspect that most people don't understand how much editing goes on before the image refining / manipulation / waiting. That's the real key. Ignoring pictures of the children, where I edit less ruthlessly, I'm happy to come home with one new picture that's really worth the effort of refining and printing.

There again, I'm old enough to still value prints.

Mike