Author Topic: bike recommendations  (Read 1553 times)

bike recommendations
« on: 16 January, 2020, 11:48:50 am »
idle wondering about new bikes while on a dull conference call.. what would you be looking at?
  • 4 flat miles each way commute, on road and cyclepaths.  As fast as possible, please.
  • will be chained up outside office in a busy pedestrian area with a relatively high bike-stealing index [central cambridge]
  • used for coaching rowing from a gravel towpath with lots of filthy puddles, this is pretty slow riding and much more comfortable when sitting upright (so drop bars not ideal)
  • needs low gears and panniers (ideally 4) for doing the shopping on the way home and an occasional hilly tour.

Currently using a flat barred singlespeed with 32mm tyres and mudguards, it's not great for coaching because the gear is a bit big, but a smaller gear is boring on the 4 miles home.  It's needing a new headset, drive train and rear wheel so am pondering if i should repair or replace...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: bike recommendations
« Reply #1 on: 16 January, 2020, 11:56:01 am »
I'd say Long-Haul Trucker is the reasonably obvious, reasonably-priced workhorse.

Of course, you could do it properly and get a really nice Thorn with a Rohloff... ;)
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #2 on: 16 January, 2020, 12:54:52 pm »
If you are otherwise happy with your SS stick a hub gear in it. That'll cover the rear wheel and drivetrain so it just needs a headset, or probably just new bearings.
Or, old skool steelie MTB, road tyres and maybe up the gearing with a different cass or c/set, guards and rack.  They're so unfashionable they're pretty much given away and as such the resale value makes them less likely to be nicked.
Or, if you want to spend a lot more money - I've been very happy with the Sonder Santiago I've been riding for a few months, I bought mine as a frameset (In a sale) though they offer flat bar builds
https://www.alpkit.com/sonder/bikes/sonder-santiago-apex1-flat-bar

« Reply #3 on: 16 January, 2020, 04:41:07 pm »
cheers both.  Long haul truckers and the sonder bike are lovely but probably more $$$ than I can justify when new.   Doing up an old mtb is a great idea, if I can find one with rack and guard mounts... I'll have a prod round ebay and see what's out there.

« Reply #4 on: 16 January, 2020, 09:57:12 pm »
Would this be of interest?  http://2010.konaworld.com/bike.cfm?content=drfine  I have one that I may consider selling. In excellent condition, fitted with full guards, rack, new 11 speed alfine hub, 58cm frame. PM me if interested.
Most of the stuff I say is true because I saw it in a dream and I don't have the presence of mind to make up lies when I'm asleep.   Bryan Andreas

« Reply #5 on: 17 January, 2020, 07:39:16 am »
PM sent!

« Reply #6 on: 22 January, 2020, 08:41:03 pm »
solved! 

Not Bolt's Kona but his on-one inbred with an 8 speed alfine, flat bars, rack & dynamo hub.  Thanks Bolt, I went coaching on it this evening and it's bloody lovely!

« Reply #7 on: 22 January, 2020, 11:21:13 pm »
Not Bolt's Kona but his on-one inbred with an 8 speed alfine, flat bars, rack & dynamo hub.  Thanks Bolt, I went coaching on it this evening and it's bloody lovely!
Thanks Mike, so glad you like it :thumbsup:  So that makes it n-3 this week creating some much needed room in my sheds, although a impulsive ebay n+1 last night has offset this slightly :-[  so I still need to re-home a couple more bikes.  If there are any other 6'+ riders who are looking for a good secondhand bike then do feel free to PM me. 
Most of the stuff I say is true because I saw it in a dream and I don't have the presence of mind to make up lies when I'm asleep.   Bryan Andreas