Author Topic: A random thread for sport things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 127949 times)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Even though both teams scored twice!

^^^
This!
 >:(

As usual, "Ned" Flinders was great, but the defence in front of him was total rubbish.  Really feel sorry for him.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
Sheffield Wednesday v Manchester United 40 years ago today.

The names of Manchester United players are all familiar, as are 6 of the Sheffield Wednesday lineup (and one of the linesmen Gilbert Napthine) but the name which leaps out at me is that of the Wednesday number 9. We were at school together, by which I don't mean just that we were at the same school at the same time , but were in the same form, did the same subjects, played for the same school and representative teams and travelled together for various trials. He once copied my Latin homework. A year after O levels, I was still playing school (and county) football, and he was scoring on his debut in a televised local derby
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgASEbSYCKU&feature=youtu.be&a

He only played 11 times for Wednesday, but had 4 seasons at Darlington

Quote from: wikipedia
In December 1976, Ferguson scored the only goal of the game to eliminate his former club from the 1976–77 FA Cup. The goal, a powerful drive from a distance of anything from 30 to 50 yards (25 to 45 m), was voted best goal ever seen at Darlington's Feethams ground in a 2003 poll on the occasion of the ground's closure.

He ended his career in the Belgian lower leagues.

Remember him, Deano?
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

Actually, no - I hadn't been born yet..

The best goal I saw at Feethams was Marco Gabbiadini chipping the keeper from within the 18-yard box.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
Actually, no - I hadn't been born yet..

Ouch!  ;D
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Over the weekend I took part in a Chess and Education conference at Olympia, where the London Chess Classic is taking place over the coming week. During the weekend there was a rapidplay tournament taking place, involving some of the world's top players.

It was the first time that I have seen quite a few of these players in action. Fabiana Caruana is the World no. 2 in longplay rating, behind Magnus Carlsen, who was not playing at the weekend. I have never seen such a dainty man. I would estimate that he was scarcely more than 5'2" and weighed considerably less than 9 stone. I watched him lose the penultimate round to Hikaru Nakamura, the tournament winner.

I had played quite a few of the top players years ago with mixed results. I used to pick Lawrence Trent for Essex when he was a junior and taught him quite a bit of chess in that time, but I don't think I ever played him in a tournament game. I've played Sadler and McShane (both draws) and lost to David Howell. I think I have a plus score against Nick Pert, former World u-20 champion, but it's hard to be sure: he has an identical twin brother and I have played them both over the years. It was quite gratifying to see Sadler draw with former World Champion Anand and Nakamura in consecutive rounds and McShane draw with another World Championship finalist Nigel Short in one of those rounds.

Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
It's 20 years since Eric Cantona got his boot laces caught on that man's shirt. Radio 5 Live are, for some reason, acting like seagulls following his trawler.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
It's 20 years since Eric Cantona got his boot laces caught on that man's shirt. Radio 5 Live are, for some reason, acting like seagulls following his trawler.

Funnily enough, that's precisely what I said to Mrs. Wow. We wouldn't normally listen to Radio 5 Live, but we have been at our daughter's house and her radio seems to default to that. In the afternoon there was another story involving a seagull as one was hit by a cricket ball at the MCG*, knocked unconscious for a while, but got better. I recall a similar incident a few years ago when Richie Benaud was commentating.

*Momentarily Comatose Gull

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
Ha bloody ha!

(click to show/hide)

I'll forgive you for missing my earlier post elsewhere, WOw.

The football :o

(click to show/hide)

I just caught MotD. Bradford deserved it - but Boro utterly thrashed Man City!

What a day.

And Mourinho had  the grace to admit that he was embarrassed and that his players should be embarrassed, too - lessons there for the immature Mr Van Gaal.  Mind you, Jose has been a slow learner, earlier claiming that his Chelsea team were beaten not by Newcastle but by their ball-boys.

What a great day!

Dean, I'm imagining that Boro fielded a weakened team to protect their promotion push?!

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
On Tuesday I made one of my rare visits to Calthorpe Park to watch Fleet Town lose 6-0 to Taunton Town in the Evo-Stick Southern League Division 1 South and West. Spectators were just about outnumbered by players and officials.

Rodney Marsh* scored a hat-trick for the visitors.

Amongst the players who have played for Fleet Town in the past are
- Leroy Rosenior (who was once manager of Torquay United for 10 minutes)
- Hans Segers (who in 1997 was cleared of match-fixing during his time as Wimbledon goalkeeper) and
- Clement Atlee**.

* No, not the ex QPR & Manchester City forward Rodney Marsh
** Yes, this Clement Atlee:
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Bloody hell!  A Manchester United player has just been sent off!

At Old Trafford :o
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Bloody hell!  A Manchester United player has just been sent off!

At Old Trafford :o

He did have to grab hold of the referee to acheive it though
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Hartlepool Utd have just played 2 away matches in 4 days.  Bloody hell!  6 points!  :D

On checking the table I see we've they've stormed up to
(click to show/hide)
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
Did they hang any gibbons?

No, that's home matches only - but I'm impressed that it's something you admit to knowing about!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
High court judges are unto hanging.

You old beat combo, you!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
Not so much flogging though.

Time to invoke the dead horse, I trow!

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Neigh, surely not!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Amusing end to a football tournament

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/apr/02/gibraltar-u16s-macedonia-goal-celebrations

Gibraltar U16 vs Macedonia U16

Last match of the tournament - Macedonia take the the lead from a corner in the 91st minute and thinking they've done enough to win the tournament rush over to celebrate with the rest of their substitutes. Sadly they're all celebrating in their own half of the field allowing Gibraltar to take a quick kick off and run up the field score and win the tournament themselves.

Action from about 1:31 onwards
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper

It makes a nice headline but his original (only) remarkable appearance for the first team, and therefore in first-class cricket, was his only one and he effectively retired after that by not being quite good enough, I think.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
Indeed. It compares, not unfavourably, to the first class career of Geoffrey Charles Hurst.