Author Topic: Round The Year Randonneurs Discussion Thread  (Read 14747 times)

Round The Year Randonneurs Discussion Thread
« on: 27 June, 2008, 05:46:55 am »
To assist with motivation and record keeping, I have created a Round The Year Randonneurs Log.  My thoughts are that this can be used in a very similar way to the Weight Reports Thread.
The log is only to log your rides and you go in and update your original post each time.
Some may want to go back to the start of the year - I see no problem with that.
Please keep all discussions here though.

Chris N

Re: Round The Year Randonneurs Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: 27 June, 2008, 08:48:09 am »
I hadn't thought of doing it, but now I've looked at the results it might be a goer.  I just need to ride a 200 next month (maybe the China Run) and I should be ok for other events until October.  Hmmm...

« Reply #2 on: 27 June, 2008, 09:42:43 am »
Given that I DNF'd my June ride...

If I started a DIY200 at 7pm on the 30th June, and finished at 4am on the 1st July, would that count as a June ride? (I think it does as I seem to remember Mr O'Tea starting a perm at close to midnight in order to keep an RRTY running).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #3 on: 27 June, 2008, 09:46:06 am »
Two SRs down, and RRTY is still the toughest thing I've done in the last two years. Thank **** I took month 14 off in search of some sanity (and not having to ride a 200 in December).

Good luck guys

« Reply #4 on: 27 June, 2008, 11:28:21 am »
Given that I DNF'd my June ride...

If I started a DIY200 at 7pm on the 30th June, and finished at 4am on the 1st July, would that count as a June ride? (I think it does as I seem to remember Mr O'Tea starting a perm at close to midnight in order to keep an RRTY running).

There was a 'frequenty asked questions' bit in Arrivee a few issues back. I think that the answer to the above was that it could be accepted for either month (but not both!).

I got mt RTY last year. I started in Feb but didn't really think about it until November when I had done all my other Audax objectives. It's the same this year if the weathers ok and I feel ok I'll do the rides over the winter but it won't be a disaster if I don't. Just enjoy the rides then when you've racked up 9 or 10 months you can think about the award.

« Reply #5 on: 27 June, 2008, 11:45:11 am »
The hardest part of RRTY for me was finding an event in October. I did 11 consecutives then missed October, so the following year made a special effort to get to a more distant event in October. The weather was kind that year so I managed 3 randonees in the month and got it. After another 11 events came October and I crashed and haven't randoneered since. Good luck.

« Reply #6 on: 27 June, 2008, 05:58:31 pm »
The hardest part of RRTY for me was finding an event in October.

December was the month I worried about; the only eligable ride that seemed possible was the Winter Solstice, which looked good but on December 23rd was quite likely to be poor weather. Therefore I made Pam Pilbeam's Mulled Wine 100K into a 200K DIY, rode around in the freezing cold and rain, then managed the Winter Solstice in lovely (if a little icy) weather :)

That made December the first month I'd done two 200K rides, which made my family think I'm even more barmy than they did before! I got my RRtY 11 months after riding my first 200K, which was nice.

Good luck to everyone doing this; it almost becomes a logistical achievement rather than a cycling one.

« Reply #7 on: 28 June, 2008, 09:40:24 am »
For me, the hardest months are the summer. All weekends are usually busy with other things, so it'll have to be perms if there are no midweek calendar rides...

« Reply #8 on: 28 June, 2008, 09:50:41 am »
The hardest part of RRTY for me was finding an event in October.

December was the month I worried about; the only eligable ride that seemed possible was the Winter Solstice, which looked good but on December 23rd was quite likely to be poor weather.

I like the Winter Solstice it's one of must staples run by a club mate. Clocked my fastest 200 on it year before last on Fixed too. Didn't do it last year though, could only just stand on my own two feet at that time of year. Eureka! in November in the same area is another decent winter ride. Haven't done A Mere 200 yet, DNSd on it a few years ago due to illness, converted it to a perm then DNFd on the perm due to losing a rider and heavy rain.

Chris S

« Reply #9 on: 28 June, 2008, 10:13:37 am »
Well, I had 18 months as of June. I guess that's as buggered as my knee now  ::-).

Although... my knee has improved some over the last few days, so I'm not writing myself off yet - there's plenty of time before the 31st July ;).

« Reply #10 on: 28 June, 2008, 04:16:41 pm »
I like the Winter Solstice it's one of must staples run by a club mate. Clocked my fastest 200 on it year before last on Fixed too. Didn't do it last year though, could only just stand on my own two feet at that time of year. Eureka! in November in the same area is another decent winter ride. Haven't done A Mere 200 yet, DNSd on it a few years ago due to illness, converted it to a perm then DNFd on the perm due to losing a rider and heavy rain.

I rode all three last year, and they were all good rides; not difficult in themselves, so you only have the winter weather, ice and darkness to contend with. They are on my definite-maybe list to do again this year just to keep the legs turning over winter.

« Reply #11 on: 28 June, 2008, 08:43:43 pm »

I rode all three last year, and they were all good rides; not difficult in themselves, so you only have the winter weather, ice and darkness to contend with. They are on my definite-maybe list to do again this year just to keep the legs turning over winter.

I have pencilled them in this year too, on Fixed of course.

« Reply #12 on: 29 June, 2008, 08:19:50 am »
Starting from home was a different experience.  I found it harder to actually get out the door as I didn't have the urgency of travelling to the start for a set time to meet people etc.
Once I was off I was okay though.
Riding towards home to finish was ace though - as I knew that when I got off the bike it was the finish and not another journey to get home.
Riding around new roads and then back onto familiar ones to get home also helped with the morale boost.
Must find new routes around me though or it may get a bit tiresome.

« Reply #13 on: 29 June, 2008, 06:14:32 pm »
There was a 'frequenty asked questions' bit in Arrivee a few issues back. I think that the answer to the above was that it could be accepted for either month (but not both!).

Thanks for the pointer, I dug it out. Arrivée 92 (Spring 2006) has this on pp 25:-

Which month is it anyway?

Another would-be claimant asks in which month a 600km ride, starting on June 30 but finishing on July 1, would count. I think for this I'd be happy to count it for either (but not both) but I would want proof that at least 200km has been ridden in the claimed month.

The answer to my question would seem to be 'no' since I won't be doing at least 200km by midnight. Ah well,  I can live with that, and it takes the pressure off too. I'll go for a nice long bimble around Richmond Park tomorrow night instead.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Maladict

« Reply #14 on: 29 June, 2008, 06:30:18 pm »
I left myself with a challenge of having to do the hilliest ride I'd ever entered for June since I packed last weekend and DNSd another earlier in the month.  Got round though.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #15 on: 30 June, 2008, 11:05:28 am »
In a pseudo-teethgrinder madness, I have 2 on the boil at the moment.  It would be 3 but for the DNF on the Irish Mail in May...

AC
'Accumulating kilometres in the roughest road conditions'...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #16 on: 30 June, 2008, 12:32:54 pm »
Greenbank's conundrum and other matters are covered here:

Peak Audax Randonnees Round the Year
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Chris N

« Reply #17 on: 30 June, 2008, 12:41:11 pm »
Right, provisional plan for the next six months:

19/07/08 DIY Dun Run
23/08/08 Mildenhall 300
07/09/08 East Midlands Forests 200 (starts 1 mile from my house, so no excuses...)
04/10/08 Darley Abbey 150, DIYed to 200+
??/11/08 DIY 200
06/12/08 Tinsel and Lanes

I don't think I'll bust a gut to complete them - if I DNS/F for any reason, I hope I won't be too bothered.

Maladict

« Reply #18 on: 30 June, 2008, 01:36:33 pm »
July - Bridge too Far 600, South Then North 600... plus whatever I feel up to after that

August - Flamorough Head 1000, Mildenhall 300, Couple of 200s?

September - Anfractuous 200 (as a 400 DIY?!)

October - Golden Tints 200

November - Upper Thames 200

December - Tinsel and Lanes 200

« Reply #19 on: 01 July, 2008, 08:34:04 pm »
Not finishing officially during my 600 last month lets me begin from zero. Next planned ride starts friday, in Vologda.

« Reply #20 on: 01 July, 2008, 08:58:01 pm »
After 19 months of a 600k or longer a month, I blew it last month by packing on a 1000k permanent. I'm not bothered really. I did ride alomost 600km and was well within time for a 600. I just had no chance of getting to work in time at the speed slowness I was travelling at.

« Reply #21 on: 01 July, 2008, 09:49:30 pm »
After 19 months of a 600k or longer a month, I blew it last month by packing on a 1000k permanent.

That's the problem with the youth of today - can't stick at anything, give up too easily...
 ;)

border-rider

« Reply #22 on: 07 July, 2008, 10:31:30 pm »
I've put links to this and the RRTY log thread in the Audax FAQs sticky

Don't forget to update

« Reply #23 on: 08 July, 2008, 07:57:40 am »
Thank you.

Chris N

« Reply #24 on: 21 July, 2008, 09:04:07 pm »
Right, provisional plan for the next six months:

19/07/08 DIY Dun Run
23/08/08 Mildenhall 300
07/09/08 East Midlands Forests 200 (starts 1 mile from my house, so no excuses...)
04/10/08 Darley Abbey 150, DIYed to 200+
??/11/08 DIY 200
06/12/08 Tinsel and Lanes

I don't think I'll bust a gut to complete them - if I DNS/F for any reason, I hope I won't be too bothered.

Well, that's that finished - I couldn't be bothered to ride to Ipswich from Dunwich on Sunday morning so my RRTY is off.