Author Topic: laidback newbie...  (Read 3621 times)

Bender

• Bite my shiny metal a..
laidback newbie...
« on: 19 September, 2021, 07:12:06 pm »
Hi All,

I caved, and now have a little project  :facepalm:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Ultimate-Bikes-Reading-Long-Wheel-Base-Recumbent-Bike-/353658133715

It's an Ultimate Bikes Cobra 2000, a bit rough in places but entirely salvagable. If I can ride it reasonably well It'll be this winters project.

wish me luck!

-B.

Re: laidback newbie...
« Reply #1 on: 19 September, 2021, 09:52:12 pm »
Good luck  :thumbsup:

« Reply #2 on: 19 September, 2021, 11:01:34 pm »
Fine fettling!
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #3 on: 20 September, 2021, 10:22:33 am »
That looks fun, enjoy  :)
the slower you go the more you see

Bender

« Reply #4 on: 20 September, 2021, 05:07:29 pm »
Update!

I can ride it, and wow! that's seriously good fun! Now to start fixing her up...

-B.

Bender

« Reply #5 on: 21 September, 2021, 07:58:07 pm »
 Update 2

I stripped the bike down and there's nothing obviously wrong with the frame, no cracks etc. The handlebar is a bit bent, I guess it's been dropped on it's side at some point. The rear wheel was a nightmare to remove, the hub seems too wide for the dropouts so I'll have to take some measurements. Additionally one of the rose joints on the steering arm was bent. So nothing too major, next steps are to clean up the bars and steering arm, as well as to start thinking about wheels and possibly a new fork depending on what I do with the wheel.

-B.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 21 September, 2021, 08:59:01 pm »
Occupational hazard with under-seat steering on bicycles.  It's going to fall over at some point, and when it does, it's probably going to damage something expensive.  I have a bell fitted to my tourer largely because it takes the brunt of a fall, rather than the bar-end shifter.

I believe Azub have a cunning system whereby the bars can rotate around the long axis of the bike on impact to prevent damage to the controls.

« Reply #7 on: 21 September, 2021, 09:32:48 pm »
Looks like a wholesome and worthwhile project to mess about with. You're probably in with a serious risk of making a profit depending on if you come to sell it. Also good we've got another convert.
Cruzbike V2k, S40

Bender

« Reply #8 on: 22 September, 2021, 10:18:09 am »
Somehow I don't think I'll ever make a profit on a bike :)

I've been looking into why the back wheel was so tight. The rear hub spacing is 126mm and the fitted hub was well in excess, 130mm and appears to have a spacer on the spindle making it even wider?!

My initial plan is to replace the fitted Shimano rsx and no name equipment with a 7 speed Shimano 105 groupset which'll fit the spacing properly as per the original spec https://web.archive.org/web/20030305153016/http://www2.ultimatebikes.com/spec.htm

Bender

« Reply #9 on: 24 September, 2021, 08:16:03 am »
I've now cleaned up all the parts, and am now prepping for paint. Additionally the wheels are a bit of a challenge. The front is an old 500a size, which is impossible to replace but the fork will take a slightly larger 451 common on BMXs. Alexrims make their DA22 rim in both 451x14 and 700cx14 and paired with some shimano 105 HB-1055 & FH-1055 hubs I think would make a reasonable wheelset. Just need to find a stockist.

-B.

Bender

« Reply #10 on: 24 September, 2021, 04:13:47 pm »
I got in touch with my LBS who contacted Bob Elliott the UK distributor for Alexrims. They won't sell rims just built up wheel sets :(

The hunt continues...

-B.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #11 on: 24 September, 2021, 05:48:33 pm »
If you don’t have your heart set on a matching set of Alex rims, the Bandits of Bridgewater are knocking out 451 Sun rims in 28, 32 and 36H versions.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #12 on: 24 September, 2021, 06:28:37 pm »
Welcome to fun club

Bender

« Reply #13 on: 24 September, 2021, 08:19:42 pm »
Ah, this is fun isn't it :)

The Sun rims are certainly an option, I couldn't find a matching 700c for the rear though. I'm not set on anything in particular, but I'd like a matching pair.

-B.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #14 on: 24 September, 2021, 08:33:28 pm »
Get rims that are the same colour and similar shape, then de-sticker them. Job done!
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Bender

« Reply #15 on: 17 October, 2021, 08:03:28 pm »
Hi All,

A little update :) the frames now stripped back to bare metal. The bars and steering arm are at the paint stage (spray.bikes milan 2) and the bottom bracket parts are primed. The rear wheel is fully disassembled and I'm removing the corrosion and rebuilding it. The front wheel is not really useable, so I've ordered a sun rim that pretty much matches the rear (good call LittleWheelsandBig), as well as obtaining a NOS exage hub to match the rear as well. If the bikes ultimately a keeper I might build a set of wheels with velocity a23 rims from bricklane cycles.

Its getting there! If I do this again I'll have it blasted rather than using paint stripper and sanding.

-B.

Bender

« Reply #16 on: 16 November, 2021, 06:23:44 pm »
 Hi all,

I'm in the process of re-assembly now, the paints on and seats re-dyed black but came out an acceptable dark blue. I've rebuilt the rear and laced the front wheel but not trued it yet, and I've been cleaning up a period shimano 105 groupset to go on. Cane creek aero brakes fitted plus some downtube lever adapters to take gear levers on the bars.

Lots of work, but a very satisfying winter-ish project. There's a few twiddly bits left to do, and source a rear dérailleur but I'm in no major rush :)

-B.

« Reply #17 on: 17 November, 2021, 03:07:35 pm »
Wow-looking good  :thumbsup:

Bender

« Reply #18 on: 21 December, 2021, 01:27:46 pm »
Hi all,

Well, just about done now and have been riding her up and down the road practising some tight turns and getting the feel of her. But what fun! :) I read a top tip about looking where you want to go which works really well especially at slow speed.

from this

to this:

Just need to make a truing stand to finish the new front wheel, connect the front derailleur and throw some bar tape at it.

-B.

« Reply #19 on: 21 December, 2021, 07:19:09 pm »
Well done, nice job.

If you've not ridden any other SWB recumbents hitherto, then it shouldn't be an issue, but the first time I built and rode a LWB at a BHPC meeting, I completely overlooked the fact that there was a front wheel ahead of the cranks, which resulted bringing down the chap in front and me getting some very serious and unpleasant arse rash!!

Anyway, hope you enjoy the ride.
Garry Broad

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #20 on: 21 December, 2021, 08:06:45 pm »
You’re not alone in that, VB.  Even Bomber Burrows managed it once, after confecting a FWD Thing with the cranks concentric with the front axle and hub-centre steering.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #21 on: 21 December, 2021, 08:09:01 pm »
I'm fairly sure I've managed it onna upwrong...   :-[

« Reply #22 on: 21 December, 2021, 08:25:10 pm »
Upwrongs pulling in before they’ve completely passed a laidback can be a common thing.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #23 on: 21 December, 2021, 08:29:22 pm »
This is true.  One of the more advanced recumbent rider skills is correctly anticipating when and how the upwrong riders around you will fail to anticipate the dynamics of your vehicle, and plan accordingly.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #24 on: 30 December, 2021, 11:55:47 am »
Even more so with Velomobiles which have the turning circle of a supertanker and brakes which can be a bit weedy (drums, almost always).

If we cycle with uprights we ride either at the front or at the back, never in the middle as you get blocked for cornering purposes regularly.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk