Author Topic: [HAMR] 3rd January 2016 - Teethgrinder Day 149  (Read 12222 times)

[HAMR] 3rd January 2016 - Teethgrinder Day 149
« on: 03 January, 2016, 09:52:24 am »
An 09:25 start heading North West for Steve.  :thumbsup:

Re: 3rd January 2016 - Teethgrinder Day 149
« Reply #1 on: 03 January, 2016, 11:03:39 am »
An 09:25 start heading North West East for Steve.  :thumbsup:

Go Steve!
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2 on: 03 January, 2016, 11:09:06 am »
Steve is absolutely incredible, isn't he? Whilst he still thinks there's the slightest chance of taking the record in August, he will give it his best shot. I have never met anyone with such grit and determination*. If he gets just a fraction of the luck he deserves, he will do it.

*With the possible exception of Gary Kasparov.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #3 on: 03 January, 2016, 12:27:05 pm »
I am totally in awe of Steve's ability to get up and do it day after day, no matter how bad he's feeling and no matter how far behind the curve he is. He certainly deserves a decent run of luck. I'm not optimistic he'll do it, but I'm bloody impressed at the way he's going about it.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4 on: 03 January, 2016, 12:37:23 pm »
Allez!
Getting there...

« Reply #5 on: 03 January, 2016, 03:09:25 pm »
Steve on a "Northern Trek" by the look of things and probably only 20-30 miles from Kajsa if the respective trackers are accurate.

Allez Steve.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #6 on: 03 January, 2016, 04:40:33 pm »
It's days like today that are a measure of Steve. It's one of the shittiest days imaginable to be out on a bike, short of sleet and hail - for all I know he might be suffering them as well. It's typical bloody January here - windy, not desperately cold, but not warm, and raining. It has hardly got properly light all day - there was some pink in the sky when I got out of bed at 8 this morning for my pre-breakfast potter, but it didn't last long.

He's one hard bastard.

TimC

« Reply #7 on: 03 January, 2016, 04:43:15 pm »
Agreed. I took one look at the weather this morning and wimped out. Steve's power to inspire didn't quite make the grade today!! ;D

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #8 on: 03 January, 2016, 04:44:58 pm »
He's one hard bastard.
Incredibly so. 

I hope he has a lift home arranged or tomorrow is going to be a pig.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #9 on: 03 January, 2016, 04:53:08 pm »
We pottered about for a couple of hours this morning.  I was glad to get home before the worst of the weather and couldn't help but admire Steve all the more for getting out there.

« Reply #10 on: 03 January, 2016, 05:53:21 pm »
We pottered about for a couple of hours this morning.  I was glad to get home before the worst of the weather and couldn't help but admire Steve all the more for getting out there.

I rode to the Severn Bridge in desperate rain all the way. Every moment I thought of Steve repeating that four times daily. At least the sun came out briefly for the ride home.

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #11 on: 03 January, 2016, 06:08:17 pm »
Steve looks to be going at his standard pace - which is below the 216 miles a day required. I await the plan that was mentioned in the radio interview. I have never hoped as much that I was wrong but it looks like the sand is slipping between the fingers. 216 miles a day now required and needs to speed up by 2mph to be able to complete the distance in the same time and have a good nights sleep. Every day like this and the daily total goes up.

All the best Steve

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

red marley

« Reply #12 on: 03 January, 2016, 06:43:42 pm »
But it's worth remembering what was posted on FB a few days ago when they reported the result of his more positive blood tests:

Steve will begin to build up his daily mileage again - gradually - from this weekend (in order to avoid reversing any health gains from the rest days).

There is no plan to be riding 219 mile days today, and given the absolutely foul weather I'd say a 180-190 mile day at his "standard pace" would be both prudent and anticipated.

« Reply #13 on: 03 January, 2016, 07:06:11 pm »
I think you are both right - he can't afford to risk his health by ramping straight up again, but he can't afford not to, or the runs required per over will spiral out of control.  Very hard.  If he pulls it off, this is where he will have done it.  This is the heat of his battle.  I suspect he might be enjoying it!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #14 on: 03 January, 2016, 07:32:52 pm »
That approach means that Steve would need to hit 230+ daily miles for months on end after winter.

I don't think he has that in him, given his current condition and likely rate of improvement. He hasn't shown the required average speed (for the whole day) at any point in the past year and hasn't had even a week averaging 230 daily miles. It is the combination of minimum average speed and hours in the saddle (without stopping) that will limit him. Unless he can increase his daily average speed by at least 2 mph very soon, he runs out of hours in the day.

It is good that Steve is improving his daily performance but it still isn't enough to take the record.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #15 on: 03 January, 2016, 08:06:03 pm »
LWAB that is exactly my thoughts I hope I am wrong but there are the worst six weeks of weather coming up and things could get worse not better. The maths for this is getting worse for Steve all the time another month of the current pace gives a daily average of 220miles  and Steve needs to increase his speed by 2.5mph - that is enormous and it is only the average. Calorie intake will increase and fatigue will be greater. This is a step change of 15% - all my cycling has told me that this is unachievable unless there is major change in something.

The radio interview only went on about the Tommy average of 205 and not the current values. Makes me wonder if the team are using the same numbers.

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

TimC

« Reply #16 on: 03 January, 2016, 08:08:35 pm »
I think after Steve's Strava pronouncements and Idai's interview, we have to accept that they know where they stand and that this month is make-or-break. Let's watch and see what happens, and wish Steve as strong a following wind as he can get.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #17 on: 03 January, 2016, 08:14:36 pm »
I don't think the team is looking at the numbers required in any meaningful way. They didn't seem to be doing so before the crash and they don't seem to be doing so now. Even Idai's interview didn't actually say that they'd pull the pin on Steve if he was even further behind at the end of January.

Everything seems to be relying on Steve's assessments and we know they are hopelessly optimistic. Even after breaking his ankle, he thought there was still a decent chance of breaking Tommy's record when it was obvious to everybody else that it had become impossible.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #18 on: 03 January, 2016, 08:18:32 pm »
I think after Steve's Strava pronouncements and Idai's interview, we have to accept that they know where they stand and that this month is make-or-break. Let's watch and see what happens, and wish Steve as strong a following wind as he can get.

I agree. I think Steve knows what a tall order it is, and it's one of the things that distinguishes him from ordinary mortals. He's prepared to back himself against massive odds. I will be absolutely amazed if he succeeds, but then I have found so much of the past 12 months' cycling so utterly amazing that I will be the first to shake his metaphorical hand (and his real one, when I get the chance), congratulate him and say "I was wrong!"

« Reply #19 on: 03 January, 2016, 08:20:42 pm »
and wish Steve as strong a following wind as he can get.

he's had one all day, but there was only 69 miles on the tracker by getting on 4pm, 6+ hours after he'd been on the road,

122 now, but he's been stopped for over an hour in Knaith Park, thats round the corner from me, theres nothing there apart from 20 houses  ???

« Reply #20 on: 03 January, 2016, 08:24:00 pm »
The last tracking point is bang on the Stags Head pub.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #21 on: 03 January, 2016, 08:32:48 pm »
8:30pm 11 hours on the road with a helpful wind and 196km completed. Another three hours will give 60 km extra and only just over 250km - I hope the tracker is wrong.  :'(

BB

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #22 on: 03 January, 2016, 08:33:08 pm »
At the average speeds he is currently holding on the road, Steve needs to basically spend every waking minute moving to achieve his required daily mileage. Without full-time intensive support and a body that can completely recuperate during the time he is stopped, you end up with a series of 1-3 long days followed by 1-2 short days that lose any gain towards the required daily average.

« Reply #23 on: 03 January, 2016, 08:34:35 pm »
20 houses and a pub them  ;D

TimC

« Reply #24 on: 03 January, 2016, 08:42:45 pm »

I agree. I think Steve knows what a tall order it is, and it's one of the things that distinguishes him from ordinary mortals. He's prepared to back himself against massive odds. I will be absolutely amazed if he succeeds, but then I have found so much of the past 12 months' cycling so utterly amazing that I will be the first to shake his metaphorical hand (and his real one, when I get the chance), congratulate him and say "I was wrong!"

Yes, we all know how much Steve has to do to get back on track, and we've said so over and over in the 'thoughts' thread. No point in saying it yet again. Whatever Steve, Idai and the team are thinking, and what numbers they're using, they've said that an assessment will be made at the end of this month. Ok, fair enough - so let's let them get on with it and we can all update the conversation at that time. If they're no nearer achieving the required miles, we can once again urge a break and regroup. If the miles are coming, as Steve believes they will, then let's get behind him and give him whatever morale lift we can.