Author Topic: AUK "gold membership"  (Read 2642 times)

AUK "gold membership"
« on: 12 August, 2008, 10:32:52 pm »
On PM's between MercuryKev and myself, I discover that we've both recently purchased cycling sandals.  We've both already got Carradice saddlebags and Brooks saddles.  If we grow beards, surely we'll qualify for AUK "gold" membership. 

I've heard with gold membership, you get access to a secret part of the AUK website which gives a list and map references for George Berwick's network of caves and bothies for sleeping on long rides (and wedding anniversaries).  Also listed are tips on how to get free meals in Little Chef by using some sort of "long-con" on the unsuspecting denziens of Kirriemuir.  ;) ;D

RJMcB

Re: AUK "gold membership"
« Reply #1 on: 12 August, 2008, 10:36:57 pm »
On PM's between MercuryKev and myself, I discover that we've both recently purchased cycling sandals....

Oh FFS  :o ::-) ;D
(however, on a positive note, I can now pretend I'm cycling behind you to disassociate myself rather than lack of speed)

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #2 on: 12 August, 2008, 10:39:46 pm »
On PM's between MercuryKev and myself, I discover that we've both recently purchased cycling sandals.  We've both already got Carradice saddlebags and Brooks saddles.  If we grow beards, surely we'll qualify for AUK "gold" membership. 

I've heard with gold membership, you get access to a secret part of the AUK website which gives a list and map references for George Berwick's network of caves and bothies for sleeping on long rides (and wedding anniversaries).  Also listed are tips on how to get free meals in Little Chef by using some sort of "long-con" on the unsuspecting denziens of Kirriemuir.  ;) ;D
RJMcB

GIT.  :P
 ;D

Don't forget the Top Tip,  "How to eat a whole bag of Eccles Cakes while pretending you have no food, as your riding companion (unsuspecting denizen of Kirriemuir) rides 50 miles through the night wondering how many calories he can suck from a packet of Extra Strong Mints."  ::-) :'(

It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #3 on: 12 August, 2008, 10:48:46 pm »
I think I'm past the point of no return.  I own 3 brooks saddles, 2 carradice saddlebags, one pair of cycling sandles, 2 dynohubs and a full AUK flurecent yellow/purple disco themed outfit (jersey, wind jacket & cap - all matching).  I also haven't been clean shaven since December last year - admitedly I have more of a designer/scruffy bastard stubble, than full AUK beard.

I also heard that the gold membership came with a breadbag with AUK livery. 

[edit - add photo]

[/edit]

Maladict

« Reply #4 on: 12 August, 2008, 11:03:51 pm »
I have two Brooks saddles, two carradice saddlebags (Barley + newly acquired Nelson for longer events), 3 SONs, and I got to 2 weeks unshaven at the weekend before breaking and hacking it all off.

« Reply #5 on: 12 August, 2008, 11:15:56 pm »
Must be some weird Scottish thing...
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #6 on: 12 August, 2008, 11:18:01 pm »
Must be some weird Scottish thing...

Aye, that's him up there in the red jacket and the bread bag on his heid. ^^^
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #7 on: 12 August, 2008, 11:28:39 pm »
a full AUK flurecent yellow/purple disco themed outfit (jersey, wind jacket & cap - all matching). 

Oh hey, come on. That's taking things too far  :sick:

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #8 on: 12 August, 2008, 11:29:40 pm »
Platinum membership gives you access to the psychometric test results of the ride organisers and route planners.

H

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #9 on: 12 August, 2008, 11:32:00 pm »
a full AUK flurecent yellow/purple disco themed outfit (jersey, wind jacket & cap - all matching). 

Oh hey, come on. That's taking things too far  :sick:

Hey, it's what the kids are intae (apparently called Nurave):

« Reply #10 on: 13 August, 2008, 10:11:48 am »
Platinum membership gives you access to the psychometric test results of the ride organisers and route planners.

"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #11 on: 13 August, 2008, 10:32:13 am »
Mr Greenbank, you owe me a keyboard :thumbsup:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.