Author Topic: Premium service  (Read 2187 times)

Beardy

• Shedist
Premium service
« on: 08 October, 2020, 04:37:13 pm »
This week I have been exposed to another example of premium branded service.

We have a bit of a think for Nespresso coffee. I know it’s Nestlé and thus A BAD THING™, and that it’s not the cheapest way to drink coffee. But the convenience of the system works for us, especially as Sarah and I like very different roasts when it comes to coffee. And it’s not at all a bad cup of coffee.  We’ve had One machine or another for over 10 years, so you could say we’re well and truly hooked.

About 2 years ago I decided to subscribe to a monthly minimum purchase and commit to it for 1 year, and in return they sold me a high end machine for £1. The machine worked fine until this year. I got confused about wireless connections and professed to be unable to connect to the machine. After a session on the phone with a surprisingly competent individual they shipped out a loan machine and took mine in to test. A couple of weeks later it came back with no fault found and I managed to work out that it’s wifi is a bit finicky if it’s been paired with more than one device.

Fast forward a few months and the machine started to deliver inconsistent volumes of coffee. It took a couple of calls this time because on the first call we seemed to fix the issue. However it went back to them and came back seeming to work ok.

About 6 weeks later it started to do the same again, but this time we discovered it was also filling the internal drip tray with coffee. A call and a return later it’s back with us having had its inards replaced. Cool a virtually new machine.

However, we discovered it was leaking water this time, from somewhere under the machine. A couple of calls later a return is arranged. I’m getting a bit fed up.with this now.

The day after the return is arranged I get an email from Nespresso. ‘We’re sorry for all the trouble you’ve had with your coffee machine, so we’ve decided to send you a replacement instead of trying to fix it again. Please call us to confirm your delivery address’ or words to that effect. That was Tuesday afternoon. I’ve just received a brand new high end coffee machine which will hopefully last for a couple of years.

So, yes, I might be paying a premium price for the excellent coffee we drink, but I do feel that the £1 I have paid for the machine was an excellent investment.  ;D
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Re: Premium service
« Reply #1 on: 08 October, 2020, 04:45:45 pm »
I suppose I shouldn't be surprised anymore that a coffee machine has a wifi connection.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #2 on: 08 October, 2020, 05:26:29 pm »
I suppose I shouldn't be surprised anymore that a coffee machine has a wifi connection.

This!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3 on: 08 October, 2020, 05:35:42 pm »
I presume there are special Nespresso cups which alert the machine that you're nearing the end of your cup and will require another. Each cup is individually tracked so the machine knows which blend to prepare.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #4 on: 08 October, 2020, 05:50:56 pm »
I use a moka pot.  If I'm feeling really techie, I use a Brikka pot.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #5 on: 08 October, 2020, 05:57:55 pm »
I use a spoon and a jar. 

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #6 on: 08 October, 2020, 06:17:39 pm »

I use a barista...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #7 on: 08 October, 2020, 06:25:22 pm »
At least my Aeropress doesn't need a WiFi connection or firmware updates!

« Reply #8 on: 08 October, 2020, 06:38:22 pm »
I don't drink coffee.

« Reply #9 on: 08 October, 2020, 06:52:12 pm »
I don't drink coffee.

*Frightened to ask what you do with it...*
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #10 on: 08 October, 2020, 06:55:45 pm »
I don't drink coffee.

Enema.
Every day.
Regular as clockwork.

« Reply #11 on: 08 October, 2020, 07:22:33 pm »
I don't drink coffee.

Enema.
Every day.
Regular as clockwork.

Spits coffee all over mobile phone ...   

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #12 on: 08 October, 2020, 07:47:25 pm »
Try the Aldi coffee pods that fit Nespresso machines - a range of strengths and an excellent price.     

And the Aldi machine, when they have them, is excellent - it's our back-up machine if the Fracino plumbed in machine stops or is away for servicing - and the Aldo machine has it's own custom-built case to travel with us to stay at our two non-coffee-drinking daughters' homes

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #13 on: 08 October, 2020, 07:54:33 pm »
I don't drink coffee.

Enema.
Every day.
Regular as clockwork.

you would be
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Ben T

« Reply #14 on: 08 October, 2020, 09:10:23 pm »
They will bend over backwards to make sure you have a working machine. They make the money out of the cartridges, not the machines.
Like printers.
If we ever have problems with ours all it takes is a phone call reminding then how good customers we are and a new one is on the doorstep free of charge a few days later. Whether that's a loan one in lieu of our own being repaired, or a replacement one, but we always have one and never have to pay for repairs or a new one.

orraloon

• I'm trying Ringo, I'm trying real hard
« Reply #15 on: 09 October, 2020, 09:01:56 pm »
So why does a coffee machine need wifi?   Is it so it can post stuff on TikTok?  Can't follow all this kidz tech.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #16 on: 09 October, 2020, 09:04:04 pm »
So why does a coffee machine need wifi?   Is it so it can post stuff on TikTok?

'So it can order more coffee' is the sensible answer.  'So it can become a brick when the coffee server is no longer maintained' is the Internet Of Shit answer.

ian

« Reply #17 on: 09 October, 2020, 09:13:57 pm »
Hopefully, it won't start downloading coffee p0rn and spraying the unwary with crema. Smut is the internet's baseline.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #18 on: 09 October, 2020, 10:03:19 pm »

The bigger question is why does the teapot need wifi, when all it does is throw a 418 error...

J
--

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #19 on: 09 October, 2020, 10:32:49 pm »

The bigger question is why does the teapot need wifi, when all it does is throw a 418 error...

J
<Googles>
Heh.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #20 on: 09 October, 2020, 10:40:01 pm »

J
<Googles>
Heh.

Semi related story. At a previous job we had a number of proxy servers in front of our main application servers, and we were getting erratic behaviour from one of them, but couldn't work out which. So I changed the errors, on each one to be different, so that a 404, 405, 403, all got redirected to other errors (418, 451 etc...). This works, I found the issue, fixed it. Reverted the config. Went and made a cup of tea.

Someone from front desk wanders over "Why is our page telling me it's a tea pot?" Turns out I'd left one extra line of config in one of the servers... oops.

J
--

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #21 on: 10 October, 2020, 09:07:52 am »
So why does a coffee machine need wifi?   Is it so it can post stuff on TikTok?

'So it can order more coffee' is the sensible answer.  'So it can become a brick when the coffee server is no longer maintained' is the Internet Of Shit answer.
its not connected to the interwebs but it does inform me via the app I use to order my coffee when I am running out of coffee and also when it needs to be descaled. It also allows me to easily alter the volume liquid delivered for each cup setting and one or two other ‘tweaks’. All this functionality with the exception of coffee stick levels, is available directly on the machine through a series of button presses and knob twiddles, which requires me to rtfm. Although I don’t Generally agree with the trend of connectIng everything to an app, I do actually think that this is a reasonable implementation of the tech.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #22 on: 10 October, 2020, 11:04:55 pm »
Well, ten minutes with a screwdriver with a torx security bit and the judicious application of a small cable tie to a dodgy looking loose pipe and I now have a recently refurbished top end coffee machine to give to my youngest to use in her locked down PSO digs.
Bonus.