Author Topic: Bought any cycling stuff today?  (Read 868723 times)

Re: Bought any cycling stuff today?
« Reply #4000 on: 16 May, 2014, 08:04:02 pm »
Some really nice Lake shoes, mail order, size 42, but unfortunately they're too narrow.

I'm hoping maybe they'll fit Uncle James.

Still struggling to find some good MTB shoes that fit and aren't too many €€€€€

Have you been to Rose Biketown yet and tried everything until you found something that fits?
Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. It has been too many days since I have ridden through the night with a brevet card in my pocket...

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #4001 on: 16 May, 2014, 08:24:07 pm »
Some really nice Lake shoes, mail order, size 42, but unfortunately they're too narrow.

I'm hoping maybe they'll fit Uncle James.

Still struggling to find some good MTB shoes that fit and aren't too many €€€€€

Have you been to Rose Biketown yet and tried everything until you found something that fits?
Biketown didn't actually have that good a selection of MTB shoes in the under 100€ price range. The cheapest was 80€, a pair of Shimano shoes which didn't look great.

As it happens I today took delivery of some Giro ladies MTB shoes which fit and look very cool. Reduced from 100€ to 40€ so I am happy.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #4002 on: 16 May, 2014, 09:11:10 pm »
Some hub bearings, to go with the pedal bearings I bought yesterday.

« Reply #4003 on: 17 May, 2014, 10:18:27 pm »
Two new  Stronglight chainrings( 48 and 38 x 130) , some jockey wheels ,  TF2 and some puncture glue.
All from Spa which is just down the road -well 12 miles away, but that  is just down the road in rural areas like this.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #4004 on: 18 May, 2014, 04:07:47 pm »
A new Walz cap, after my existing one found its way into a 40C wash.
Hilarity ensued :facepalm:

Decided to go with the racing stripe version rather than plain ol' black this time.

« Reply #4005 on: 19 May, 2014, 03:47:57 pm »
A 24" wheel Ridgeback midi - mtb from a local charity shop as a stop-gap bike for Miss Moultonaught the younger whilst she continues to grow at an alarming rate.   :)

Blue with orange and silver highlights (the bike not MMTY).

Orange handlebar grips and an orange/black saddle just purchased from eBay. Orange outer cables to follow when I check cable lengths required tonight... 

not so much a gravel grinder.... more of a gravel groveller

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #4006 on: 23 May, 2014, 04:05:49 pm »
A medium (aka 18") Salsa El Mariachi frame, which also happens to be orange

Won't see it for a couple of months though, as it's a special order job (small were in stock at the distributor, as were large ... medium? Nope  ::-))

« Reply #4007 on: 23 May, 2014, 04:08:33 pm »

And now some titanium end caps, as the ones provided with the Crank Brothers rebuild kit are made of cheese.

« Reply #4008 on: 23 May, 2014, 04:09:24 pm »

Won't see it for a couple of months though, as it's a special order job (small were in stock at the distributor, as were large ... medium? Nope  ::-))

So what forks are going on it?

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #4009 on: 23 May, 2014, 04:13:37 pm »

So what forks are going on it?
Haven't decided yet - I have a Fargo fork on the High Latitude and like it a lot, but the Surly ECR fork has clearance for 3" tyres  :P
Decisions, decisions ...

ETA: Probably going to end up with a Salsa Firestarter fork on account of the A-C measurement of the frame (483mm) - not a big deal, since it has cage mounts on the legs, which is the main thing for me. I fancied the carbon Firestarter until I saw the price - £550  :o

« Reply #4010 on: 23 May, 2014, 04:18:59 pm »
3" tyres FFS , we will need to plant up half of India at this rate.
I just purchased what I thought were 2 of 700x25 Panaracers at an LBS in York this a.m. When I got home , I realised that I had been given (not chosen, they were in a store) one 25 and one 28. :facepalm:
My fault for chatting too much with the guy in the shop.
 Anyway the 28 just fits te Sabbath so no harm done.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #4011 on: 24 May, 2014, 12:38:18 pm »
I've just ordered one of these

https://carradice.co.uk/index.php?page_id=product&under=range&product_id=136

direct from Carradice

« Reply #4012 on: 24 May, 2014, 01:54:45 pm »
A brand new Ortlieb map case for£1, at a bring and buy sale.
The seller said it was an unwanted present.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #4013 on: 24 May, 2014, 02:14:38 pm »
A Cane Creek headset and a Salsa Firestarter fork - both of which will end up on n+1 when it arrives.

ETA: Was going to buy a Thomson seatpost collar for it too, until I remembered that the frame comes with one already ... and it's colour-matched  ;D :thumbsup:

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #4014 on: 24 May, 2014, 05:48:46 pm »
Well not quite bought yet but n+1 is imminent.

Want a new audax-specific bike but was quickly disabused of a custom build with my budget of £1000 so got a quote for a Giant Defy 1 which sort of fits the bill but I want a more robust wheel for the more robust gentleman.

So I'm getting another quote Tuesday for a Defy 2 (lower spec, slightly lower grade alu frame) with a hand built rear wheel - this sounds like it's going to fit the bill I think.  Not bothered about a hugely robust front wheel as I've never had problems with those but the back wheel takes punishment from me.  I need something solid for the longer brevets.
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #4015 on: 28 May, 2014, 07:31:52 pm »
I've just ordered one of these

https://carradice.co.uk/index.php?page_id=product&under=range&product_id=136

direct from Carradice

It's arrived so I'll be fettling it tomorrow

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #4016 on: 28 May, 2014, 10:54:44 pm »
Went into condor to browse. Came out with a mini pump, cable snips and a FHHV cap.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #4017 on: 30 May, 2014, 07:09:55 pm »
My KCL jersey has just arrived, so now I can pretend to be a stoodent at either of two universities.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #4018 on: 30 May, 2014, 11:00:11 pm »
a new tv

« Reply #4019 on: 31 May, 2014, 06:16:55 pm »
A new Whyte G150 MTB  ;D

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #4020 on: 03 June, 2014, 08:48:16 pm »
A530 pedals for my latest acquisition.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

« Reply #4021 on: 03 June, 2014, 09:58:39 pm »

And now some titanium end caps, as the ones provided with the Crank Brothers rebuild kit are made of cheese.

And now some alloy ones for the other set of Eggbeaters, as they need greasing but only one of the end caps is coming off...

Moose57

• Hippopotamus scandere potest colles
« Reply #4022 on: 03 June, 2014, 10:00:00 pm »

« Reply #4023 on: 04 June, 2014, 05:21:51 pm »
After coming back absolutely soaked from Faringdon (The Bell is a good place - and cycle/trikle friendly - to visit) to just by Woodstock today and discovering that Barbara's cycling shoes have been around for far to long, I  looked ont mobile and yo, Chain Reaction had a sale on so she chose a pair of Diadora  shoes about 60 odd % off , she loves them so giving me an excuse to get her out on the trikes a bit more.
      PS  Chain Reactions usual shoddy next day delivery is still there, bloody hell can't they just hand them over the phone  ;D
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4024 on: 07 June, 2014, 06:02:39 pm »
Pair (just as well, that) of Mavic SPD-compatible shoes.  The Danse Macabre of the Cleats begins...
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight