Author Topic: Bought any cycling stuff today?  (Read 868808 times)

Re: Bought any cycling stuff today?
« Reply #4325 on: 06 January, 2015, 04:59:24 pm »
Had to put it all down somewhere, the excitement is killing me!

My commuter was looking a little sorry recently so I have started the process of upgrading/renewing. The bike is a Giant Escape 3 so pretty much the base model which I bought when my previous bike was stolen from the station (only locked with a cable lock...shame on me). I have chewed through a couple of back wheels as I kept replacing them with the same cheap Threaded Freewheel hub as it came with and my weight just killed them.

My intention is to make the bike into something that will comfortably be able to be used for camping trips in the summer (and possibly even the winter)

here is what has been done so far,

- Mavic A719 Wheel set with Shimano Deore XT Hubs (Dynamo on the Front)
- Shimano HG 7 Speed Cassette
- B&M Cyo IQ Senso Plus
- B&M Secula - seat stay mounted rear light
- New Chain

Waiting for me to pick up at Parcel Force
- Xtreme Grand Tour VI Carrier
- B&M Toplight View Brake +
- Ortlieb Back Roller Classic

I've run out of budget for now but I fully intend to replace the rest of the drive train with an XT set up during the course of this year to make it a little more reliable, I have had some issues with the shifters in the past so keen to have something a little less plastic.

The few miles I have ridden on the new wheels it all feels good and the Dynamo Light set up is really good, it will be nice not to have to worry about battery levels in the morning and evening any longer.

« Reply #4326 on: 07 January, 2015, 01:06:30 pm »
Just taken delivery of a pair of Tiagra 9 speed triple levers (used, but they seem to be in the perfect working order the ebay seller claimed) & a couple of spacers to adjust them for small hands.

I can now finish the modernisation of Mrs B's old Orbit. It's going from 7 speed to 9 speed. The old shift levers have worn out (Modolo: I won't recommend them, because although easy to reach for small hands, they're not durable), & replacement drop-bar Shimano 7-speed shifters are like hens teeth. Meant the replacement of derailleurs & rear wheel (all new stuff), but it was probably time.

Started out with some new-old Sora shifters, but they're the ones with thumb buttons, & Mrs B couldn't reach 'em from the drops. They'll appear on the 'For Sale' pages soon. Perfectly good as long as you don't have small hands, unused.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #4327 on: 08 January, 2015, 12:34:09 am »
BC membership for the eldest so she has 3rd party and legal cover. And a 10% off at Halfords.

Took a while to recover her old details from 200x but the babbage engines in Manchester finally succumbed to the appropriate amount of torture.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #4328 on: 08 January, 2015, 10:54:17 am »
Just received a text informing me that I have two shiny red Ortlieb Front Roller City Panniers waiting for me at the newsagents (Collect+) :)

Now to start booking trains for March and April's tours :D
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4329 on: 08 January, 2015, 12:25:47 pm »
A Cyclaire Plus demented-chainsaw-o-matic pump.  Previously presumed to be unobtanium, they appear to be selling up the remaining stock on eBay for a tenner a go, so it seemed like a good idea to invest in a spare one.  As well as being a luggage-friendly shape, it's the only hand-operated pump that barakta stands a chance of using.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #4330 on: 09 January, 2015, 09:18:43 am »
A ticket to the Rohan Dennis hour record attempt at the Velodrome Suisse in Grenchen  :thumbsup:

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #4331 on: 09 January, 2015, 04:48:33 pm »
Nabbed a bit of a bargain in Hargroves this afternoon - a pair of Specialized Adaptalite sunnies, reduced from £80 to £25.

« Reply #4332 on: 09 January, 2015, 05:24:10 pm »
Ordered a B&M Luxos U and rear Seculite yesterday from Rose Bikes. Will fit them to my audax bike to run from the existing dynamo. The Luxos B on the audax bike will go on my commuter and the Edelux on the commuter will go on the yet to be purchased tandem bike which is going to be my N+1 this yr (likely a Circe Helios but not decided on that yet). Also got another Rixen and Kaul Klickfix handlebar bracket to go on the audax bike. Order on the way already, should be here tomorrow.
 ;D
Started audax with LEL & SR in 2013. Currently working on fitness and trying for a RRtY in 2024. Event organiser, Arrivée photo contributor & LEL controller

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #4333 on: 09 January, 2015, 05:27:14 pm »
A pair of Schwalbe Marathon studded winter tyres for the commute bike.

« Reply #4334 on: 09 January, 2015, 05:29:10 pm »
A pair of Schwalbe Marathon studded winter tyres for the commute bike.
Nice. I like mine. Bit noisy on tarmac but very good on snow/ice. Just be careful on dry concrete though. I speak from experience... :facepalm:
Started audax with LEL & SR in 2013. Currently working on fitness and trying for a RRtY in 2024. Event organiser, Arrivée photo contributor & LEL controller

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #4335 on: 09 January, 2015, 05:48:16 pm »
Mio Heart Rate Monitor. Far more comfortable than a chest strap and seems to do the job

« Reply #4336 on: 09 January, 2015, 05:51:54 pm »
Nabbed a bit of a bargain in Hargroves this afternoon - a pair of Specialized Adaptalite sunnies, reduced from £80 to £25.

I have an old pair of Spesh Adaptalites.   They are superb if not a little fugly.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #4337 on: 09 January, 2015, 06:06:04 pm »

I have an old pair of Spesh Adaptalites.   They are superb if not a little fugly.

S'alright, so am I  ;) These are the El Toro frames which are pretty chunky, but I don't think they look too bad.

« Reply #4338 on: 09 January, 2015, 06:18:48 pm »
A pair of Schwalbe One tubeless tyres from Bike24 at around 35 Euro a piece plus 6 postage
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #4339 on: 09 January, 2015, 06:20:16 pm »

S'alright, so am I  ;) These are the El Toro frames which are pretty chunky, but I don't think they look too bad.

Modest, too. That's what we like so much.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4340 on: 10 January, 2015, 02:37:36 pm »
Assos FI.Mille S5 bib shorts.  Keeping these for PBP.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #4341 on: 10 January, 2015, 04:22:08 pm »
Given the weakness of the Euro, my finger has been hovering over the "buy" button on Bike 24.
I've looked at an Ixon IQ Speed Premium, Toplight View Plus and a Luxus U (all B&M products).
My only doubt is what will happen to Greece (and hence the Euro) in the next few months.
By then, I'll have less need for more lights ......................

« Reply #4342 on: 10 January, 2015, 08:51:41 pm »
Specialized BG Rime: £59.99

Sent them back as they sent the wrong colour. The matt black is discontinued so they sent the white version (insert).
Plus toe-box was quite narrow.

Went for these instead: Louis Garneau Monte MTB Shoe £89.99
Louis Garneau Monte MTB Shoe

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #4343 on: 11 January, 2015, 08:58:24 pm »
Mio Heart Rate Monitor. Far more comfortable than a chest strap and seems to do the job

The Velo? I've been playing with one of them recently. Nice. I was hoping I could use its ANT+ bridging cleverness to send runs from my FR 405CX to the Garmin Connect app on my iPhone (and not have to wait until I got home to upload them), but while it's happy to send HR data to the FR, it won't receive run data from it. Otherwise the ANT+ functionality is irrelevant to me since I have an Edge 510 and don't use my phone for ride logging. Still a nifty device and yes, definitely more comfortable than a chest strap. Not sure I like it enough to want to buy one at the price though.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4344 on: 12 January, 2015, 10:58:39 am »
Postie brough a pair of Vaude shoe covers I'd ordered last week. Size EU 44-46 for 42/43 shoes; they fit tightly enough and are OK to put on. Good design, with a rubbery cuff that fasten with Velcro round the ankle to keep water out and Velcro tabs under the instep. Reinforced toes, too. I had been thinking of giving the toes a does of Shoe Glue but I'm not sure they'll need it.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4345 on: 12 January, 2015, 12:40:47 pm »
A likely-looking[1] BG saddle to go on the Brompton.

I've decided that while the stock saddle isn't actually too narrow (though only when fitted to an S-type), and seems comfortable enough for an hour or so, cumulative use is still having Unwanted Consequences such that anything of a decent width with a cutout is likely to be an improvement.

[1] Brooks may be evil, but at least you can come back and buy the same model for your n+1 5 years later.

fuzzy

« Reply #4346 on: 12 January, 2015, 12:42:10 pm »
A Cateye Volt 300 kit (light and battery plus additional battery and charger cradle) and a helmet mount to replace my ailing Exposure Joystick (switch failing and very intermittent as to when it will switch on).

« Reply #4347 on: 12 January, 2015, 06:10:28 pm »
A Vaude Silk Road Plus rack bag for the day ride bike.

Gradually turning it into a German type nice hack bike - old Edinburgh Bicycle Revolution Nexus 8, hub dynamo with front & rear dynamo LED's (B&M Cyo Premium and Toplight BrakeTec), kick stand, raised handlebars, Brooks B17, and now rack bag  :thumbsup:

ONly thing to make it complete would be disc brakes, but that's s step too far for this bike

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #4348 on: 12 January, 2015, 07:09:09 pm »
Brooks may be evil, but at least you can come back and buy the same model for your n+1 5 years later.

Up to a point, Lord Copper.  I have three B-17s in the Fleet.  One was comfortable from day one while another took about 500 km before it grew accustomed to my arse, or vice-versa.  I do not think I will ever reach an agreement with the third.

This is because Brooks saddles are not only alive but actually sentient.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4349 on: 13 January, 2015, 04:48:50 pm »
Postie brought a pair of Vaude shoe covers I'd ordered last week. Size EU 44-46 for 42/43 shoes; they fit tightly enough and are OK to put on. Good design, with a rubbery cuff that fasten with Velcro round the ankle to keep water out and Velcro tabs under the instep. Reinforced toes, too. I had been thinking of giving the toes a does of Shoe Glue but I'm not sure they'll need it.

Further to the above: strike "good design".  What kind of blithering twat puts soft, clingy, rubbery material right where it'll rub on the cranks? Vaude, that's who. Tried the things out today: I reckon three more rides should see holes in them.