Author Topic: Bought any cycling stuff today?  (Read 868817 times)

Re: Bought any cycling stuff today?
« Reply #5250 on: 17 August, 2017, 10:56:01 pm »
A lightly used Gilles Berthoud saddle arrived in the post today.  One of my Brooks is a little past it's best, and reports of their current production don't inspire me.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #5251 on: 20 August, 2017, 07:40:23 pm »
A virtually mint Kona Velocity alloy quill stem for a pound.

OK, it was nearly £20 postage from Norway, but it's still half the going rate.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #5252 on: 21 August, 2017, 02:34:13 pm »
... Enough p-clips to keep me going for quite a while ...
Where did you order these from? I've struggled to find such things at Halfords / Screwfix etc.

Just from eBay, there are many available if you search for "p-clips".  Those I got from here.

Also, did you sort them while doing Hungarian folk dance?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywWBy6J5gz8  ;D

No dancing was involved, Hungarian or otherwise, and I rather boringly but appropriately, used a heap sort. :)
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #5253 on: 21 August, 2017, 02:37:38 pm »
A box of Draper needle files, specifically for tidying up the the cut ends of brake and gear cables, but I suspect this lot will end up being used for many tasks, and keep me going for a while (if not forever !)

« Reply #5254 on: 23 August, 2017, 09:03:14 am »
Just took delivery of some Northwave Extreme Tech shoes (like these) for a bargainous £10 (new!) from the Prendas eBay store. They were selling off a few pairs of shoes all at the same price, all in my size, but I resisted the urge to buy more as I already have too many shoes, and these were the best ones. :thumbsup:

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5255 on: 23 August, 2017, 10:01:35 am »
A box of Draper needle files, specifically for tidying up the the cut ends of brake and gear cables, but I suspect this lot will end up being used for many tasks, and keep me going for a while (if not forever !)

Very nice.

Then there's these, of course:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Welding-Tip-Cleaner-Needle-File/dp/B00IE65HDC

Just bought a set for slotting guitar nuts, but I reckon they'd work well on cable housings too.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

dim

« Reply #5256 on: 23 August, 2017, 03:01:22 pm »
K-Edge Combo Mount for Garmin Edge 1000 and Garmin Virb Ultra 30 Action Camera

not cheap, but very well made
“No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness.” - Aristotle

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5257 on: 23 August, 2017, 03:21:02 pm »
A load of Hribo.  Came with a free roll of rim tape.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #5258 on: 23 August, 2017, 03:44:53 pm »
A seat clamp from Van Nicholas - it's a double bolted thing - it clamps around the seat-tube as normal but then tapers to have a separate clamp bolted around the seatpost itself.  Should be more stable (especially as I'm quite big and have quite a lot of seatpin out of the frame)

Rob

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #5259 on: 23 August, 2017, 03:57:52 pm »
Just took delivery of some Northwave Extreme Tech shoes (like these) for a bargainous £10 (new!) from the Prendas eBay store. They were selling off a few pairs of shoes all at the same price, all in my size, but I resisted the urge to buy more as I already have too many shoes, and these were the best ones. :thumbsup:
Stop making me want to hate you!

« Reply #5260 on: 24 August, 2017, 08:45:13 pm »
Planet have some good deals on tubes atm. Most impressed with their Vavert tubes as these don't seem to lose pressure over time. Ordered another five. It is the hedge cutting season after all.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

dim

« Reply #5261 on: 27 August, 2017, 07:39:54 pm »
a new frame which I will build up for an Audax bike:

Koga Miyata Full pro (Tange Champion tubing):

I will 'modernise' it a bit with a Shimano 105 or Ultegra groupset (12-32 cassette), decent saddle, some decent light strong wheels etc ....

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #5262 on: 27 August, 2017, 09:36:44 pm »
Did that come from Holland? Eindhoven perhaps?

Could need one or two modifications - that or you're going to be busy finding 6 or 7 speed stuff to build it with...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

dim

« Reply #5263 on: 28 August, 2017, 09:54:27 am »
Did that come from Holland? Eindhoven perhaps?

Could need one or two modifications - that or you're going to be busy finding 6 or 7 speed stuff to build it with...

bought in the UK .... I already have a Koga Miyata GranWinner that I use as my daily commuter, so I will strip some of the parts off that and use them on the new frame in the meantime, and slowly upgrade, then sell the GranWinner frame on ebay

I converted the Granwinner to 9 speed with  11-28 (it was 7 speed when I bought it) .... works like a dream, and there is enough space to go 11 speed if I desire

on the new frame I will be looking at a 12-32 cassette, with more modern 105 or Ultegra. I will check what my LBS suggests.

some decent light wheels (tubeless ready) with a dynamo hub/lights, some Apidura bags and I'm good for some longer audax rides ....

I know that some will say that it's best to keep it original with original gearing etc, but I'm not too concerned as I am after a light steel audax bike that I'm planning to keep for a long time

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #5264 on: 28 August, 2017, 11:11:37 am »
I fully applaud you having your bike built your way. You're obviously aware of the mods required on a c.40 yr old frame so I'll keep my nose out...
VELOMANCER

« Reply #5265 on: 28 August, 2017, 03:03:03 pm »
A quicklink tool, which I don't particularly need at the moment, but I'm preemptively buying for when I do need it !  I wear out my single speed chain mostly, and the SRAM single speed links[1] on those are a bit different to most quicklinks.  I'm not even sure if I could find that link, let alone remove it !

Footnote [1] : With the SRAM single speed links, you need to flex the chain to put them on, which is fiddly enough.  I'm not sure if they would come off with a similar manoeuvre.  I guess this tool may help the pins to bend a little, for the necessary movement.

dim

« Reply #5266 on: 29 August, 2017, 03:50:45 pm »
I fully applaud you having your bike built your way. You're obviously aware of the mods required on a c.40 yr old frame so I'll keep my nose out...

thanks .... I popped into my LBS today and had a chat .... no probs to convert it to 10 speed.

My Giant TCR has the 10 speed 105, and I have really good wheels on that (HED Belgium Plus with Chris King R45 ceramic bearing hubs) ....On the new Koga Miyata frame,  it would be great if I could just swop wheels from the Giant when I do a long Audax ride

There may be a problem though if I wish to change the fork to a carbon one, but they cannot comment yet until they check the frame

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #5267 on: 29 August, 2017, 05:03:51 pm »
Start looking for a 1" carbon fork with an uncut steerer...
VELOMANCER

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #5268 on: 29 August, 2017, 05:04:47 pm »
Roger Musson's wheelbuilding book
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

dim

« Reply #5269 on: 29 August, 2017, 08:16:51 pm »
Start looking for a 1" carbon fork with an uncut steerer...

thanks for that .... the other problem is that the Miyata fork has a large rake (it curves a lot at the bottom) .... so if I get a carbon fork, it will have to be one that puts the front wheel in the same position (if that makes sense)... i.e. it has to be angled forwards and not vertical

« Reply #5270 on: 31 August, 2017, 09:36:34 am »
Slight cheat (I ordered it yesterday) - a new Shimano rear mech for my tandem - which suffered a spoke/mech interface disaster. I know, I should have adjusted the mech :facepalm:

Just about managed to avoid ordering one of these: https://fairlightcycles.com/faran/?v=79cba1185463
Phew! That was close. ::-)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #5271 on: 31 August, 2017, 10:53:41 am »
Slight cheat (I ordered it yesterday) - a new Shimano rear mech for my tandem - which suffered a spoke/mech interface disaster. I know, I should have adjusted the mech :facepalm:

Just about managed to avoid ordering one of these: https://fairlightcycles.com/faran/?v=79cba1185463
Phew! That was close. ::-)

That's definitely going on my list of future frames for my "3 into 1" bike, ticks all the boxes and reasonably competitively priced. 
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #5272 on: 31 August, 2017, 02:34:46 pm »
Very inexpensive brake cables some rears including outers from Planet X.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #5273 on: 31 August, 2017, 08:31:25 pm »
Another Van Nicholas seat pin collar (see up thread) for my other Ti machine - and a rather clever wheel-truing attachment that fits on to various models of Park Tool workstands.

Rob

« Reply #5274 on: 01 September, 2017, 07:34:19 am »
Two inner tubes for the trikes   :)
the slower you go the more you see