Author Topic: The Good News Thread  (Read 1109009 times)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: The Good News Thread
« Reply #1500 on: 06 September, 2009, 11:20:46 am »
Ah! Now I understand! As a Cambridge man myself*, I find this very gratifying.

lifts wig at arm's length above head and sways whilst chanting "Seven nil seven nil seven nil! Seven nil seven nil seven ni-il!"

*this statement is at best perjury or may even constitute contempt of court.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #1501 on: 06 September, 2009, 12:18:57 pm »
I'm going to Greece tomorrow morning.

If by some mishap I end up kidnapped and sold into the white slave trade - don't come looking for me.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #1502 on: 06 September, 2009, 07:49:20 pm »
I have picked so many blackberries that the hand holding the plastic tub started hurting under the weight.

Between us Mrs. Wow and I picked 9lb 3oz. They are now stewing gently and are destined for the freezer.

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #1503 on: 06 September, 2009, 08:28:20 pm »
Not wanting to temp fate, I hesitate to mention that we might be in for some good weather. We go on tour next Friday and according to the Met Office we could be in for some really nice settled weather. Sounds too good to be true.

alan

« Reply #1504 on: 06 September, 2009, 08:30:32 pm »
Not wanting to temp fate, I hesitate to mention that we might be in for some good weather. We go on tour next Friday and according to the Met Office we could be in for some really nice settled weather. Sounds too good to be true.

ye olde DLWG  ;)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1505 on: 06 September, 2009, 09:45:18 pm »
I woke up this morning and saw the full* moon over the orchard where we were camping, then I got back into my warm tent and slept happy till we decided to get up.  Marvellous way to spend a weekend :)

* ish.  I'm not bothered if it were a bit either way, it were still big & bright & beautiful.
Getting there...

« Reply #1506 on: 06 September, 2009, 09:47:52 pm »
I woke up this morning and saw the full* moon over the orchard where we were camping,

Jupiter is looking very impressive indeed, close to the moon mid evening.
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #1507 on: 06 September, 2009, 09:48:14 pm »
I'm interviewing a bloke at 10.30 this morning and the 'recruitment consultant' has just sent me his CV.  It's a guy who used to be a client of ours and he was a right pain in the arse, a really nasty piece of work who created faults in stuff just to get a discount. 

I'm looking forward to this one..

Did he get the job?

I think we should be told... :D

« Reply #1508 on: 06 September, 2009, 10:19:36 pm »
Jupiter is looking very impressive indeed, close to the moon mid evening.

Hmm, I wonder if that's what we saw on Friday evening on the FNRttC, normally I would have guessed at Venus, it was so bright, but it was in totally the wrong part of the sky, and too high way after sunset.

Having a quick Google around (and it's surprisingly difficult to find) I think that currently Jupiter is around Magnitude -2.8, which is as bright as it gets.  I didn't realise that Jupiter ever got quite that bright, but I guess it's a damned big planet, even if rather further away than Mars and Venus (which are the usual suspects for bright objects in the sky).
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #1509 on: 06 September, 2009, 10:29:06 pm »
Starting a new contract next Monday :thumbsup:

V. lucrative  ;D

Also, on 2nd interview for perm post in Loughborough, but will need to re-locate.

What's the cycling around that area?

« Reply #1510 on: 06 September, 2009, 10:40:20 pm »

V. lucrative  ;D

Also, on 2nd interview for perm post in Loughborough, but will need to re-locate.

Nice one :thumbsup:

I remember there being some very nice lanes around there - Diseworth and Castle Donington especially, provided you avoid the airport traffic.  My experience is more walking than cycling, though.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #1511 on: 06 September, 2009, 10:43:12 pm »

V. lucrative  ;D

I don't know the Loughborough area particularly well, but there's lots of nice rolling countryside and small lanes in Northants, which isn't that far away. I understand the the Vale of Belvoir is really rather good.

Chris S

« Reply #1512 on: 07 September, 2009, 08:01:49 am »

<obvious>
Avoid Leicester itself
</obvious>

The highest point in Leicestershire is Beacon Hill - just south of Loughborough. Rode over it yesterday as it happens, on the Moira 200 Audax. Rutland and areas East of Leicester/South of Melton Mowbray is classic cycling country - quiet lanes, and a good mix of long dragging climbs/sweeping descents and shorter, stabby climbs. You'll love it.

« Reply #1513 on: 07 September, 2009, 08:09:59 pm »
The highest point in Leicestershire is Beacon Hill...

...apart from Bardon Hill which is 30m higher.

I'm just back from 15 miles round the bridleways of Charnwood (including Beacon Hill) and it certainly does it for me.  If you aren't into off road riding then, as has been said by others, there are lots of rolling hills, quiet lanes, pretty villages, good pubs, etc, etc.

« Reply #1514 on: 07 September, 2009, 10:14:46 pm »
I'm moving to St. Andrews! :)

« Reply #1515 on: 09 September, 2009, 05:13:27 pm »
I'm about to shove my laptop away and go for a pint near Marylebone. Then get on a train to Wembley. Then watch a probably dire football match. But at least I'll have had a beer or three by then.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1516 on: 11 September, 2009, 09:49:55 am »
Strange good news, but it gave me a smile and a warm glow:

Despite my mild Scouse heritage, I'm not right fond of accents from that side of the Pennines (well, off the tops, that is).  But yesterday, a Rentokil contractor called me "La' ".

Like Proust's Madeleine (I like that the benchmark of serious literature is abuot biscuit dunking), it took me straight back North, and it was like a bit of Northern sunlight breaking through the clouds.  One small word (not even a complete one), and it lightened the afternoon. :)
Getting there...

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #1517 on: 11 September, 2009, 10:03:31 am »
What does it mean?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1518 on: 11 September, 2009, 10:06:36 am »
La', as in the band name The La's, is short for 'lad', and is just used naturally in Scouse (& sometimes S Mancs) speech as an affectionate term, like 'mate' or, more generally, 'bro', 'blood', 'man', 'love', 'duck' etc.
Getting there...

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #1519 on: 11 September, 2009, 04:54:26 pm »
Strange good news, but it gave me a smile and a warm glow:

Despite my mild Scouse heritage, I'm not right fond of accents from that side of the Pennines (well, off the tops, that is).  But yesterday, a Rentokil contractor called me "La' ".

Like Proust's Madeleine (I like that the benchmark of serious literature is abuot biscuit dunking), it took me straight back North, and it was like a bit of Northern sunlight breaking through the clouds.  One small word (not even a complete one), and it lightened the afternoon. :)

What does it mean?

La', as in the band name The La's, is short for 'lad', and is just used naturally in Scouse (& sometimes S Mancs) speech as an affectionate term, like 'mate' or, more generally, 'bro', 'blood', 'man', 'love', 'duck' etc.

Are you sure you didn't miss him saying the second 'la', Clarion?   ;) :P ;D
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1520 on: 11 September, 2009, 04:59:56 pm »
Ah well, maybe. ;D

Or should that be:

"R A R A do' star', do' star' " ;)
Getting there...

alan

« Reply #1521 on: 12 September, 2009, 06:55:51 pm »
One of Marj's TroughRide cakes has been rescued from the freezer.
It will be able to fulfill it's destiny later while watching MoTD with a companion from the wine collection ;) ;D

robbo6

« Reply #1522 on: 13 September, 2009, 04:27:26 pm »
Mme. R's sister has been given a part in a film. For French TV, as a postie.

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #1523 on: 18 September, 2009, 12:35:23 pm »
As of today I am now BA(Hons), Dip Ling (Fr)

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #1524 on: 18 September, 2009, 12:40:33 pm »
As of today I am now BA(Hons), Dip Ling (Fr)

We've all known you're a dip(p)ling for years!   ;D

Congrats old boy!  :thumbsup:
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor