Author Topic: monocular/spotting scope  (Read 1192 times)

monocular/spotting scope
« on: 26 February, 2021, 02:44:32 pm »
My office has a rather fabulous view of a sea loch.

I did have some cheap 10x25 binoculars, and a 10x25 monocular. The bins have died.

Thinking of getting a replacement (since taking a 5 min break from work to look out of the window is rather pleasant). Stronger than 10x might be good. If I could take photos through it with smartphone, that would also be rather good.

I guess something like adjustable 10-20 or so would be nice. Small enough to actually carry as well, for wildlife spotting when out walking. Water resistance a must.

Not sure of budget tbh. Don't want to spend a fortune.

I guess I'm asking which brands I should avoid.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
Re: monocular/spotting scope
« Reply #1 on: 26 February, 2021, 03:19:10 pm »
I'm a fan of Hawke Optics.

I have their Endurance H5 10x42 monocular which is a cracking little bit of kit.  About £100.

I've got an older pair of their Nature-Trek 10x32 as my main bins.  About £130.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #2 on: 26 February, 2021, 03:26:32 pm »
That feels to me like two separate purchases - something nice and portable for walking around with, and if that won't cut it from the office window, something tripod-mounted for fixed use.

On the portable front, I got a s/h pair of Nikon Travelite IV 9x25 bins 20-odd years ago and have been very happy with them for my (very light and undemanding) use - looks like new near equivalents are £109 in John Lewis or Jessops.

« Reply #3 on: 26 February, 2021, 04:24:08 pm »
I have very different eye conditions (astigmatism and short sightedness in one eye, very shortsighted in other eye) and difficulty coordinating focus, so a monocular/scope is more comfortable for me.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #4 on: 26 February, 2021, 04:32:19 pm »
My Opticron BGA waterproof 10x42 monocular is in my totally biased opinion a wonderful thing and they can stl be had for £140 or less.

Being a person with vision impairments I find a monocular far more practical than binoculars (even though I do have two pairs of Opticron bins).  It's fairly portable too and mine came in it's own protective soft case making it ideal for throwing into a barbag etc.

« Reply #5 on: 26 February, 2021, 04:40:54 pm »
I have very different eye conditions (astigmatism and short sightedness in one eye, very shortsighted in other eye) and difficulty coordinating focus, so a monocular/scope is more comfortable for me.

That'll rule out the Travelites then ...

I'd assumed the recent demise of your current bins meant you were looking for a replacement for them: I'd still wonder if two devices would suit you better

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #6 on: 26 February, 2021, 07:43:28 pm »
I'd agree with 2 separate things.
I have a spotting scope setup on a tripod in the window. A fairly cheap thing I think - Visionary 15-45x zoom. I'm sure there's similar things from other brands. Nice to watch whatever birds are up in the trees etc.
But it is not portable, wouldn't want to carry to far. And needs a tripod to hold it steady. Probably would be tricky to use much more than 10x handheld.
So I'm wanting to buy a monocular as well.

« Reply #7 on: 03 March, 2021, 05:37:52 pm »
The Hawke Endurance ED or Opticron BGA 10x42 monoculars suggested above are as good as you'll get without spending at least double, and what I'd recommend.

Monoculars are somewhat harder to hold steady freehand than binoculars, so it'd likely that you'd end up holding the monocular agaist a convenient tree/wall/fence quite often.
Its rubber armouring weights the choice towards the Hawke (the Opticron is painted metal, and would scuff up), as does the separate focus wheel, which wouldn't be obstructed by whatever the monocular is held against.

One other consideration, that really needs a try out to resolve, is whether you can get infinity focus without your glasses on.
If you can, things like rain on your glasses, or sunglasses in sunny weather, are less of a hindrance, as well as not being another surface to pick up dust and smears.
Unfortunately, dioptres past infinity isn't something that most manufacturers put in their published specs, and hence reviewers don't usually list it either, so you'd have to ask.
My precription is -6, and I've found that Zeiss are OK, Swarovski are right on the focus stop, and I can't not use my (photochromic) glasses with Leica.

If you want a proper telescope for office/tripod use, there's this Kowa TSN-4, still showing a £130 starting bid. Pretty scruffy externally, but it was a top end scope back in the day, so unless it's been dropped it should be pretty good.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #8 on: 03 March, 2021, 10:28:40 pm »
I'd rather keep my glasses on. Better than dropping or losing them, or faffing with putting in a pocket etc.
So what sort of monocular is best to use with glasses? Seems need something with long eye relief. But how long is long enough?

Also looking at the Opticron WP 8x32. It is rubber coated, and a bit cheaper than the BGA model.

« Reply #9 on: 04 March, 2021, 02:10:07 pm »
Also looking at the Opticron WP 8x32. It is rubber coated,
That's the one I have, though I haven't owned any others to compare, it gets a lot of use, mostly because it gets carried a lot. I have some better binoculars, but I have to be expecting to use them to take them with me, I can't remember the last time that was...
I bought from the local London Camera Exchange, who also had in stock Hawke and Vortex.  There wasn't a Hawke direct equivalent, the 8X25 were cheaper and not as good, the 8x42 quite a bit bulkier.  The Vortex 8 x 36, which LCE were promoting, were probably the best optically, clearer than the bigger Hawke 8x42, but didn't IMO feel as nice in the hand and the clips for various fittings made it less pocketable.  I'd decided 8x on the basis of reviews and advice, there are times I think I'd have preferred 10x, but on the whole it was probably the right choice. 
I'd agree with those suggesting the OP would be better served with two bits of kit,  if spending a lot of time next to a window with views and the space, it would be great have something set up on a tripod or window ledge.