General Category > The Knowledge

Difficulty in installing tyres? RANKINGS only PLEASE

<< < (2/26) > >>

tiermat:
I have always found Shimano rims relatively easy to fit tyres to, but have mainly used Conti (Attack/Force, GP4S and GP4000) tyres on them.

Biggsy:
Kidjambo, our Michelin man, made this observation (paraphrasing): French tyres are good on French rims, and Italian tyres are good on Italian rims.  "Good" here means not very loose as well as not very tight.  "Italian" or "French" here means where the company is based, rather than where the product is actually made.

I like 'em loose though, as long as not so loose that they blow off, so I use Italian tyres on French rims.

An older version of Vittoria Open Corsa 23 is at the very top of the easy-fitting-but-stays-on-an-Open-Pro list.  Later versions are still easy to fit, as is Vittoria Rubino Pro 25 too.

mrcharly-YHT:

--- Quote from: mattc on 01 November, 2011, 10:01:46 am ---
--- Quote from: bobb on 01 November, 2011, 09:54:51 am ---The hardest combination in my experience is Michelin Pro Race 2s (23mm) on Campagnolo Proton rims. Utter b*stards to get on and off. I think it's the rims rather than the tyres as they seem OK on other rims....

--- End quote ---
I 2nd this nomination of Protons for the bottom of the rim list. My old campag 36h wheels ("Mexico"?) are fine.
(I'll also 2nd Gatorskins as near the tight end of the tyre list.)

Michelin Pro race 2s &3s are well above middle.

tiermat makes a good point, but it's all good. I get the feeling the OP was focusing on 23/25mm tyres [the most common on 700c rims]. Do people even have problems with 26".

--- End quote ---
Continental Sport Contact are difficult to fit to WTB rims.

Wowbagger:
The hardest job I ever had was fitting Continentals (can't remember precise brand/width) to my son-in-law's Dawes Galaxy (again, can't remember the precise rims). Broke a tyre lever getting them off, and almost depleted my available supply of expletives getting them back on again.
One problem I've experienced with the big, fat tyres I fit to the Thorn is that it's quite hard to get started. A second pair of hands, holding the tyre bead onto the rim, really helps. Once more than half the tyre is done, it holds itself in place, but otherwise you end up chasing your tail for quite a while.

Domestique:
Getting difficult tyres on the toestrap or two thing is good.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version