Author Topic: Orthotic insoles  (Read 1487 times)

Orthotic insoles
« on: 15 December, 2008, 08:18:30 pm »
Has anybody on here tried shoe inserts/arch supports for cycling.This summer I suffered a bout of achilles tendinitis,which may or may not caused by my flat feet.Do they help cyclists or are they more relevant to runners ?Your input would be most welcome.

clifftaylor

• Max - "make mine a Beophar Hairball Paste please"
Re: Orthotic insoles
« Reply #1 on: 15 December, 2008, 08:26:54 pm »
Which shoes are you using??

« Reply #2 on: 15 December, 2008, 08:38:28 pm »

Superfeet Premium Insoles

I used to make the custom footbeds for a ski shop in Mammoth Lakes, CA, back in the late '80s. I've found them excellent for skiing, cycling, walking, running, waiting tables, any activity that involves using one's feet and legs. The trim-to-fit version is excellent, very few people really need the custom versions.

« Reply #3 on: 15 December, 2008, 08:52:28 pm »
Which shoes are you using??
Shimano RT 51

« Reply #4 on: 16 December, 2008, 09:32:56 am »
After discovering that I was an over-pronater, I tried Superfeet insoles in my running shoes for a few years.  Combined with the right shoes, they certainly helped to support my feet.  However, niggling injuries including archilles tendonitis, eventually forced me to see a podiatrist who prescribed orthotics, which I've worn for the last 3 years.  Originally I only wore them in my running shoes but soon started wearing them in my work and casual shoes as well. 

I've tried them in cycling shoes but really don't see the point as its not so critical that my arches are as supported as when running.  I've certainly not had any lower limb injuries that I could put down to cycling. 

For the tendonitis, I assume you've tried the standard stretches such as eccentric heal raises?