Author Topic: Recomend me a simple wet shave system.  (Read 18301 times)

AndyK

Re: Recomend me a simple wet shave system.
« Reply #50 on: 06 June, 2011, 12:33:56 pm »
2 used to be a luxury, now gillette and wilkinson and the like are touting their latest offering with seven blades.

Gillette MagmaCore Extreme   ;)

« Reply #51 on: 06 June, 2011, 12:45:12 pm »
I remember reading this when it came out and mistakenly thinking it was satire rather than a press release.

For the record I'm happy with the combination of Gillette Sensor Excel and King of Shaves Gel.  Though the Sensor Excel blades seem to have been available for donkey's years so the bastards are probably going to discontinue them any day now.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #52 on: 06 June, 2011, 12:52:23 pm »
I've found the Mach 3 blades give the smoothest shave and don't irritate as much as others.  Also, since I've been using them, I've not cut myself anything like as often as I used to with the Sensor Excel.

There's no significant difference between the Mach 3 and the Mach 3 Turbo (::-) ), except the price, so I only buy the latter when the former is not available.  Which is far too often.  It seems that, whichever type of razor you use, the supply of blades is really crappily sporadic.
Getting there...

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #53 on: 06 June, 2011, 12:59:29 pm »
Yes, the Turbot ones do nothing for me. Ordinary Mach 3. The only time I used a 'proper' razor I needed a blood transfusion.

I'm still celebrating the win from a few years back when I found a stay wire poking out of a Mach 3 blade. I sent it to Gillette and got 10 replacement blades in replacement. If you have time I'll tell you about my other customer complaint successes.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #54 on: 06 June, 2011, 01:08:34 pm »
Apparently 3 blades in a razor is the optimum number. It was proven in some research.

Presumably funded by Gilette just before launching a three bladed razor?   ;D

Protagonists of single bladed double-edge razors argue that multi-blade razors encourage spots and red bumps, as the first blade yanks each hair out and subsequent blades cut them off.  When the hair is released it has been cut below the outer level of skin and so pops back in quite deep, giving more scope to get blocked in by gunnge and form a spot. 

I have no idea if this is true or not but is sounds plausible, and whilst I used to suffer  lot from red marks on my neck when I used Mach 3s, I don't at all since I changed to double-edge shaving.  I reckon three passes with a sigle blade with a re-lathering each time, is better than one pass with a triple bladed razor.

Given that doble-edged blades cost a fraction of what the multi-bladed cartridge heads do, double-edge shaving is a bit of a no-brainer for me these days.

Spot. Bollock. On.  :thumbsup:

Same here, you can't beat a shave with a quality lather and a Feather blade.

« Reply #55 on: 06 June, 2011, 01:30:25 pm »
<assorted snippage>
Protagonists of single bladed double-edge razors argue that multi-blade razors encourage spots and red bumps, as the first blade yanks each hair out and subsequent blades cut them off.  When the hair is released it has been cut below the outer level of skin and so pops back in quite deep, giving more scope to get blocked in by gunnge and form a spot. 

I have no idea if this is true or not but is sounds plausible, and whilst I used to suffer  lot from red marks on my neck when I used Mach 3s, I don't at all since I changed to double-edge shaving. 

That was partly/mostly the problem when I used to shave frequently even with DE blade - shave against the grain (which some people seem to do/recommend) had exactly thing effect. Plus some of the hairs on my neck grow almost flat to the skin - cut too short the skin would grow over the top and I'd eventually have to tease a hair out from under the skin where it had grown under the surface..

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #56 on: 06 June, 2011, 01:45:02 pm »
Yes, the Turbot ones do nothing for me. Ordinary Mach 3. The only time I used a 'proper' razor I needed a blood transfusion.

I'm still celebrating the win from a few years back when I found a stay wire poking out of a Mach 3 blade. I sent it to Gillette and got 10 replacement blades in replacement. If you have time I'll tell you about my other customer complaint successes.

Did they teach you NOTHING in Medical School?   ;) ;) ;D

I too have done well out of consumer complain letters. Mould in the porridge outs, metal in the cornflakes etc.

« Reply #57 on: 07 June, 2011, 10:05:54 am »
Apparently 3 blades in a razor is the optimum number. It was proven in some research.

Presumably funded by Gilette just before launching a three bladed razor?   ;D

I have no idea if this is true or not but is sounds plausible, and whilst I used to suffer  lot from red marks on my neck when I used Mach 3s, I don't at all since I changed to double-edge shaving.  I reckon three passes with a sigle blade with a re-lathering each time, is better than one pass with a triple bladed razor.

Given that doble-edged blades cost a fraction of what the multi-bladed cartridge heads do, double-edge shaving is a bit of a no-brainer for me these days.

Spot. Bollock. On.  :thumbsup:

I once did some work on the Gillette site at Reading I think it was. The razor blade businees was described as being akin to printing £10 notes. "Selling up" was all that it was about.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #58 on: 07 June, 2011, 02:07:53 pm »
I'm not surprised.

I may be wrong but I think I've read that Gillette only moved to a multi blade shave head when their patent on the the double-edge blade ran out...

« Reply #59 on: 07 June, 2011, 02:18:58 pm »
I've used many wet shave systems. I'm currently using the King of Shaves blades. This is a matter of some regret.

They had them on special offer at Sainsburys, so I bought a shedload of them. Once I tried them I realised my mistake. The blades glide across my skin very nicely - better than any other blade I've used. Hwoever, the head is shaped so wrong that I can't manouvre the head into the fiddly bits like under my nose.

Mach 3 has been the best all round performer from me. For foam I use a brush and palmolive stick.

DO NOT be tempted to buy blades off eBay (like I was). This is very hit and miss - mainly the latter. Most of them are very authentic-looking Chinese copies, but are totally crap.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #60 on: 07 June, 2011, 02:20:08 pm »
This thread, like its predecessor, leaves me totally bemused.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #61 on: 07 June, 2011, 02:21:17 pm »
I've used many wet shave systems. I'm currently using the King of Shaves blades. This is a matter of some regret.

They had them on special offer at Sainsburys, so I bought a shedload of them. Once I tried them I realised my mistake. The blades glide across my skin very nicely - better than any other blade I've used. Hwoever, the head is shaped so wrong that I can't manouvre the head into the fiddly bits like under my nose.
Ditto. I only bought 3 blades, used them up, will never buy again.

Wow, at your age one would have thought you knew how to shave <looks at photos> hmm, perhaps not.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #62 on: 07 June, 2011, 02:24:41 pm »
Shaving, like audax, is something you should try once or twice and then not bother.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #63 on: 07 June, 2011, 02:28:47 pm »
Shaving, like audax, is something you should try once or twice and then not bother.
Not shaving sounds great & I tried it. However, I suffer badly from ingrowing hairs that can really fester. Having to dig them out through bushy undergrowth was, literally, a real pain.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #64 on: 07 June, 2011, 02:41:04 pm »
Boots shave gel is very good. It's also quite cheap.
Pen Pusher

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #65 on: 07 June, 2011, 03:46:06 pm »
Aren't you more likely to get ingrowing hairs in the first place by shaving (especially shaving closely) - when the cut ends can retract into the skin?
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #66 on: 07 June, 2011, 03:56:27 pm »
This thread, like its predecessor, leaves me totally bemused.

Did that shrub say something? ;D
Getting there...

« Reply #67 on: 07 June, 2011, 03:57:30 pm »
Aren't you more likely to get ingrowing hairs in the first place by shaving (especially shaving closely) - when the cut ends can retract into the skin?

Possibly, but I experienced them months after I gave up shaving. I gave up after 6 months because of it and went back to shaving. I do hate it though and it is a chore, so I don't shave every day if I can help it.

« Reply #68 on: 08 June, 2011, 12:31:38 pm »
I've started shaving the old chin again.
Any recommendations for a decent razor that uses blades that tend to be generally available?
Just about any good old-fashioned safety razor with good old-fashioned double-edged blades, a brush, & a Boots shave stick. Wet face with hot wet flannel, apply lather, shave quickly & lightly. Apply more lather, complete shave. Smooth as the oft-cited infant's arse.
Works very well indeed.

Blades are available everywhere, all round the world, unlike the weird & wonderful multi-bladed 'systems'.

Running costs are extremely low. I'm using the same razor my mother gave me 40 years ago, when my face first started sprouting fuzz. Derby Extra blades (made in Turkey) in packs of 100 can be bought mail order for £few, & seem to be very good.

The only reason for the move to multiple-bladed "shaving systems" with absurdly complicated & incompatible connections was to make more money for the razor firms. The old way wasn't broke. It didn't need fixing.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

fuzzy

« Reply #69 on: 08 June, 2011, 12:39:13 pm »
Mach 3 (blades purchased bulk from Costco- £22-£25 for 4/5 packs of 5/6 blades depending on their offer), Palmolive stick, Wilkinson Sword brush, every other day.

Thinking of trying a safety razor in the not too distant future however.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #70 on: 08 June, 2011, 12:39:56 pm »
My Dad prefers a Gillette Mach 3 (got as a present) after decades of shaving with a traditional razor.  He's the least materialistic person in the world, so the multiple-blades are genuinely better for some people at least.

I also prefer one (when not growing a beard), though I go for a supermarket version rather than major brand.  Old-fashioned just razors don't work as well or as comfortably.  You might not notice any dfference if you have fine hair, but I do wth my gear-cables-for-hairs.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #71 on: 08 June, 2011, 12:43:57 pm »
I'm not surprised.

I may be wrong but I think I've read that Gillette only moved to a multi blade shave head when their patent on the the double-edge blade ran out...
Nah. Multi-blades came in around 40 years ago, & double edged had been around far longer than any patent would have lasted.

Apparently, the safety razor was patented in 1888. The first ones were single-edged, but double came in before very long.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #72 on: 08 June, 2011, 12:53:38 pm »
Mach 3 (blades purchased bulk from Costco- £22-£25 for 4/5 packs of 5/6 blades depending on their offer), Palmolive stick, Wilkinson Sword brush, every other day.

Thinking of trying a safety razor in the not too distant future however.
Last time I bought blades I paid about £9 for 100 Derby Extra, including P&P. Just checked & they're currently £9.90 on Amazon, from Shavingworld. £10.90 with an Arko (also Turkish) shaving cream stick.

« Reply #73 on: 08 June, 2011, 01:50:01 pm »
I didn't get on with the Derbys, I bought a sample pack of about 10 different variety of blades and Derbys were just too draggy, probably ok for bum fluff but mine are quite coarse.

I settled on the Feather as it's (correct me if I'm wrong) the sharpest blade you can get and just glides through even the toughest growth, not as cheap as some but still at around £15 for a 100 much much better VFM than any multi blade junk. I tend to get around 3-4 decent shaves from a blade before they are noticeably dull.

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #74 on: 08 June, 2011, 03:50:24 pm »
I didn't get on with the Derbys, I bought a sample pack of about 10 different variety of blades and Derbys were just too draggy, probably ok for bum fluff but mine are quite coarse.

I settled on the Feather as it's (correct me if I'm wrong) the sharpest blade you can get and just glides through even the toughest growth, not as cheap as some but still at around £15 for a 100 much much better VFM than any multi blade junk. I tend to get around 3-4 decent shaves from a blade before they are noticeably dull.

I am using Feather blades now in my safety razor and have to agree that their glide is simply amazing.
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart