Author Topic: Confessions of a tool junkie  (Read 123183 times)

Chris N

Re: Confessions of a tool junkie
« Reply #550 on: 14 January, 2021, 03:02:43 pm »
If it has plastic gears as many cheap Chinese made makes do you can find metal replacements which will greatly improve the performance of the lathe.

It doesn't.  Though it's not a high-end machine, I tried to make sure it was sensibly specified.

Bonus points for using it to make replacement metal gears.

Very tricky on a lathe, so double bonus points if you use it to make replacement gears.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #551 on: 14 January, 2021, 08:08:29 pm »
Which one is this and how do you like it?

This is a Sieg SC4 from Arc Euro Trade.  Only got it running yesterday but it seems pretty good so far if a little noisy.  I think it should quieten down as it wears in.  I do have some experience with (larger) machines and I'm a little worried that it's too small (210mm swing, 510mm between centres, 100mm chuck and a 20mm throat) but I couldn't justify spending more on a bigger machine.
They get good write-ups. I'd been thinking about a Sieg.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #552 on: 15 January, 2021, 09:43:30 am »
Heil.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #553 on: 31 March, 2021, 10:35:33 pm »
I bought a turnscrew for turning screws, it has a nice handle.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #554 on: 01 April, 2021, 08:15:44 am »
Bought a mini-CNC router machine (just the router head so far, may add the laser head later) - just got to address the apparently step learning curve for the software/programs.

« Reply #555 on: 01 April, 2021, 08:45:06 am »
Bought a mini-CNC router machine (just the router head so far, may add the laser head later) - just got to address the apparently step learning curve for the software/programs.
This is something I've been strongly considering. What did you go for? I'll be very interested to hear how you get on.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #556 on: 02 April, 2021, 09:56:27 pm »
I had to pick summat up  from Toolstation today, and - unusually - I succumbed to an advert on the wall for one of these

https://www.toolstation.com/dewalt-dw055pl-xj-laser-distance-measurer/p69360

a laser distance measure, for 50% or less of the normal cost. initial testing shows that it is as accurate as a hand held tape for at least up to 5m - probably more so because it measures internal where you would otherwise have the tape bent. Displays in metric, feet, inches and fractions if you want.

robgul

« Reply #557 on: 03 April, 2021, 07:42:36 am »
This is something I've been strongly considering. What did you go for? I'll be very interested to hear how you get on.

This:  https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07MCTLW7V/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1  (I didn't opt for the laser kit . . . yet)   Pretty much the same machine is available from Banggood or Aliexpress for about £30 cheaper but I bought from Amazon as if it's no good etc it's easier to return/refund.

It's a bit on the dinky side in terms of the size it can handle but fine for what I envisage.   At the moment it's just been built up (it comes as a kit of parts) and I've yet to get round to even loading the software.  It has a lot of exposed parts and electronics so one task is to make a storage case (from plywood oddments) to store and protect from dust etc in my workshop when not in use.  Some of the learning curve may be helped by my brother's experience with a 3 printer and the (broadly similar) software.

I will report back in due course.

robgul

« Reply #558 on: 03 April, 2021, 07:48:04 am »
I had to pick summat up  from Toolstation today, and - unusually - I succumbed to an advert on the wall for one of these

https://www.toolstation.com/dewalt-dw055pl-xj-laser-distance-measurer/p69360

a laser distance measure, for 50% or less of the normal cost. initial testing shows that it is as accurate as a hand held tape for at least up to 5m - probably more so because it measures internal where you would otherwise have the tape bent. Displays in metric, feet, inches and fractions if you want.

I was tempted when I was at Toolstation a few days ago - but pulled myself together to be reminded that I have a perfectly good one of these:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/stanley-30m-tape-measure/99741    [Mine actually came from B&Q for IIRC £7 when they were de-cluttering a load of old stock 3 or 4 years ago.]

... mind you when Aldi next has a laser measurer for about a tenner I may push the boat out!

« Reply #559 on: 03 April, 2021, 08:26:58 am »
Good old Aldi.

Pop in for a pint of milk and some mini cucumbers, come out with a heated buffet trolley and a telescopic light bulb changer.

robgul

« Reply #560 on: 03 April, 2021, 08:29:31 am »
Good old Aldi.

Pop in for a pint of milk and some mini cucumbers, come out with a heated buffet trolley and a telescopic light bulb changer.

The same concept applies to going into Decathlon or Ikea - go in for something specific and come out with a trolley-full of stuff at not much money.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #561 on: 03 April, 2021, 08:36:01 am »
Good old Aldi.

Does the UK still use bayonet fittings?

« Reply #562 on: 03 April, 2021, 08:47:28 am »
Good old Aldi.

You can still buy them - if that's what you mean.

« Reply #563 on: 03 April, 2021, 08:49:54 am »
Good old Aldi.

Not in new builds, they use some weird euro fitting that you can't easily find in supermarkets.

Bayonet and screw are still most easily available bulbs, AFAIK

« Reply #564 on: 03 April, 2021, 08:59:23 am »
OK, early days review, as I fancy myself an influencer.

First thing you notice is how compact it is, about the size of a box of safety matches - that's obviously a two edged sword. Accuracy is quoted as +- 6mm @10m, given how impossible it is to be accurate accurate with a tape over those distances, I tested against a 1m steel rule, and at that distance my one is spot on. Operation is straight forward - press to switch on, it measures continuously until you press again when the measure is held. Press for 4 seconds to cycle through the display dimensions. One slightly disappointing factor is the minimum distance of 160mm, it would have been handy (given the size) if it would have gone down to 75mm or 100mm, but I suppose technology and the speed of light comes into play. Limiting factors are holding it steady over a long distance (eg  when measuring into a narrow recess) and the nature of it being an interior measure, as long as the dot has something to land on you can measure. Works well in sunlight, too, measures when you can't see the dot but it does drop off at some point in strong sunlight, it is difficult to determine exactly where.

I can think of a few jobs recently when it would have been invaluable (eg fitting a fence panel into badly aligned posts). It doesn't replace a tape, but I can see it as being astonishingly useful adjunct, if you can afford it, you are unlikely to regret it (given the title of this thread).

« Reply #565 on: 03 April, 2021, 09:44:47 am »
They are very useful things. I borrow a Bosch one from work when I need it - things like measuring how tall a vehicle with roof box is for car park clearance becomes trivial (hold it at roof heigh, maybe against a plank of wood lying on the highest point, then point it at the ground). At work it's used for measuring how high things are from the ground - put the laser on the ground and point straight up. Saves a lot of time faffing with ladders.
Ours has Bluetooth on board, and you can get an app for it. Which seems spectacularly useless. But digging further in to that, I found that Bosch do a bluetooth connected angle grinder. And no, it isn't an April fool.

Compatible with the new Bosch Connectivity System, when used with the GCY 30-4 connection module (sold separately) enables tradespeople to configure custom settings and adapt them to suit specific tasks – a particularly useful feature for challenging applications. Users can, for instance, set features like ‘KickBack Control’ function to trigger earlier via their smartphones. Users also receive warning messages via the app when the motors of their tools are stopped, for instance, due to overheating.

Now, I don't know about you, but I've been desperate for an app for my phone to warn me that my angle grinder motor has stopped - because how else are you likely to know that ?

« Reply #566 on: 03 April, 2021, 09:46:54 am »
Good old Aldi.

Talking of which, how many audaxers does it take to change a light bulb?

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #567 on: 03 April, 2021, 10:16:18 am »
Quote from: Ashaman42
Quote from: robgul
Ditto. V. tempted, esp. with a laser head fitting for balsa cutting.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #568 on: 03 April, 2021, 11:37:58 am »
Good old Aldi.

Not in new builds, they use some weird euro fitting that you can't easily find in supermarkets.

Bayonet and screw are still most easily available bulbs, AFAIK

There are a couple of spotlight things in the Estate Office of Larrington which, due to the presence of a sturdy shelf, are pointed upwards at about 45 degrees.  The easiest way to extract a dead bulb is with sticky tape.

However, a telescopic lightbulb changer sounds to be just the ticket for the one halfway up the stairs, which otherwise requires dangerous ladder-related antics.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #569 on: 03 April, 2021, 11:56:24 am »

This:  https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07MCTLW7V/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1  (I didn't opt for the laser kit . . . yet)   Pretty much the same machine is available from Banggood or Aliexpress for about £30 cheaper but I bought from Amazon as if it's no good etc it's easier to return/refund.

It's a bit on the dinky side in terms of the size it can handle but fine for what I envisage.   At the moment it's just been built up (it comes as a kit of parts) and I've yet to get round to even loading the software.  It has a lot of exposed parts and electronics so one task is to make a storage case (from plywood oddments) to store and protect from dust etc in my workshop when not in use.  Some of the learning curve may be helped by my brother's experience with a 3 printer and the (broadly similar) software.

I will report back in due course.

Ah super, that's exactly what I was looking at, though I might spent the extra few quid and get the laser head too. Though I don't like that it's just goggles for protection, the big cutters at work have a laser proof lid and cutout switches.

I did then think about getting the bigger brother https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Genmitsu-Machine-PROVerXL-Controlled-Engraving/dp/B08L6314MW/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=4030&qid=1616279342&sr=8-1 as it's got a wider range of motion and a beffier spindle. But £1000 vs £200.

Part of me was thinking  buy cheap buy twice but on the other hand I can dip my toe in with the little one and if I find it's getting used I can always upgrade later. And if the novelty wears off instead I'm not out as much money.

I'm also looking at various 3d printers at the moment.

I'm not sure I need either but they're new toys. And the skills will transfer over to work...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #570 on: 03 April, 2021, 01:50:01 pm »
Good old Aldi.

You can still buy them - if that's what you mean.

You can still get them here, too. Just as well, otherwise my 1970s Anglepoise would need a refit.

Probably E27.  First time I ran into those was on a trip to Eindhoven, when I tried to plug in my electric razor.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #571 on: 03 April, 2021, 01:52:32 pm »

Ooooh shit. Now I need an excuse to buy one.

Why am I thinking of Kafka's In The Penal Colony?

« Reply #572 on: 04 April, 2021, 09:57:40 am »
They are very useful things. I borrow a Bosch one from work when I need it - things like measuring how tall a vehicle with roof box is for car park clearance becomes trivial (hold it at roof heigh, maybe against a plank of wood lying on the highest point, then point it at the ground). At work it's used for measuring how high things are from the ground - put the laser on the ground and point straight up. Saves a lot of time faffing with ladders.
Ours has Bluetooth on board, and you can get an app for it. Which seems spectacularly useless. But digging further in to that, I found that Bosch do a bluetooth connected angle grinder. And no, it isn't an April fool.

Compatible with the new Bosch Connectivity System, when used with the GCY 30-4 connection module (sold separately) enables tradespeople to configure custom settings and adapt them to suit specific tasks – a particularly useful feature for challenging applications. Users can, for instance, set features like ‘KickBack Control’ function to trigger earlier via their smartphones. Users also receive warning messages via the app when the motors of their tools are stopped, for instance, due to overheating.

Now, I don't know about you, but I've been desperate for an app for my phone to warn me that my angle grinder motor has stopped - because how else are you likely to know that ?
It could measure use time for commercial HAVS monitoring

« Reply #573 on: 05 April, 2021, 08:45:42 pm »
And after a couple weeks umming and ahhing about various CNC milling machines I've gone and hit order.

On a 3D printer. Which itself was the result of a week or so deliberation.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #574 on: 05 April, 2021, 09:24:35 pm »

oops, I may have hit order on two new saws... Nice shiny Japanese saws...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/