Author Topic: Introducing Bolt and Spike Russell  (Read 1772 times)

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
Introducing Bolt and Spike Russell
« on: 15 August, 2012, 08:49:10 pm »
You may have read of the ribbing I was getting a couple of weeks back on the MEMWNS about these two who were going to be called Eric and Ernie, but here they are on their first day in our house. Two brothers with distinct character traits and different coats developing.

They have a number of carefully selected toys from shops but by far the best entertainment was this piece of plastic off a garden rubbish bag.

They have a crate for nightime and when they are alone

and some cosy beds in the lounge so we're all together. Its been a fun day and kept the kids amused. I'm on the look out for a trailer for them to take them to the pub in.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
Re: Introducing Bolt and Spike Russell
« Reply #1 on: 15 August, 2012, 09:00:13 pm »
They look too young to get into pubs.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #2 on: 15 August, 2012, 09:56:06 pm »
Very cute pair of troublemakers!
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #3 on: 20 August, 2012, 10:48:48 pm »
Yes, they do look like double trouble. ;D

I'm amused by them finding more fun with a bit of plastic rubbish bag than their toys, but this is no different than most parents of small children, and most other owners of kittens and puppies.  My two have probably gotten more joy out of chasing Kim's old lace around than any of the other toys I've bought them!
Actually, it is rocket science.

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #4 on: 23 August, 2012, 10:19:52 am »
Lovely chaps.  Are they eating the chairlegs yet?
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

« Reply #5 on: 23 August, 2012, 10:23:06 am »
lovely dogs. I like Jack Russells.

Word from a terrier owner (in the past).

Don't ever play the game of grab and tug (swing something round, get dog to grab it and try to pull it off dog). Sooner or later the dog will mistake someone's sleeve for the toy . . . I inherited a terrier who had been taught to play like this. Took a traumatic year to untrain him.

Be very clear and firm about what they are allowed to chew. Chastise them with a firm grip and voice if they chew something they shouldn't. Chewing old wood is very good for their teeth.

Jack Russells can be trained, they are smart little dogs.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

bloomers100

« Reply #6 on: 23 August, 2012, 11:43:51 am »
Thanks for the tips guys. Its been okay so far 1 week in. No night time wimpering and nothing chewed or spoiled. They like their crate too  :thumbsup:

I've been off so they've been under surveillance outside the whole time. We've been out and left them for a couple of hours too so they're ready for when the new term starts. My mum will be their lunchtime walker so they're not going to be left for more than 3 hours at a time. They do seem to sleep more than they're awake.

Two different personalities I think Bolt will be more of a handful and he's not as soppy as Spike, however I intend to be on the case of both of them. They haven't been on furniture so far which I intend to enforce. Spike fell in the water feature last night, fortunately I was right next to him so grabbed him straight out. He wasn't bothered but enjoyed the warm rinse and blankie afterwards, see photo below.

Spike

Bolt

Post swim comfort. Bolt genuinely seemed to try to help, he stopped chewing Spikes ears for a change and seemed to offer buddy warmth. this shows Bolt sleeping on his back which he seems to like.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #7 on: 23 August, 2012, 09:12:58 pm »
Very sweet!

Hope you can get them accustomed to a trailer. It's never quite worked with Poppy as she tends to bark in it and is too far away for me to do much about it. She's better in the bike basket (although still barks at passing dogs from that).

You do know that people say you should never get two puppies at the same time, don't you ;-)
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #8 on: 23 August, 2012, 09:16:46 pm »
Teh cute  :D

bloomers100

« Reply #9 on: 25 August, 2012, 03:25:42 pm »

Forgive me for posting another pic.

ed_o_brain

« Reply #10 on: 25 August, 2012, 06:04:06 pm »
No, keep posting the pictures. Very much enjoying them.

Lovely pair of dogs.

bloomers100

« Reply #11 on: 13 September, 2012, 01:51:52 pm »

Boys are getting bigger. Clean night last night. Nothing ruined yet.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #12 on: 13 September, 2012, 08:06:31 pm »
They are awesome!
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium