Author Topic: Sam Pilgrim shreds a recumbent.  (Read 1894 times)

Beardy

• Shedist
Sam Pilgrim shreds a recumbent.
« on: 09 July, 2023, 09:39:41 pm »
For those that don’t know, Sam Pilgrim is a MTB slope style rider of some international success. He also has a YouTube channel where he does all sorts of silly things on bicycles, for eg off reading an ordinary and off reading a BSO to destruction.

This time he’s riding a recumbent off road, and even wheelies it. Here’s the video OK, it’s only a mild recumbent, but it’s definitely not an uprong.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Sam Pilgrim shreds a recumbent.
« Reply #1 on: 09 July, 2023, 10:03:38 pm »
Just goes to show it's the rider not the ride. I wouldn't even do that on the latest full-sus enduro-freeride-downhill-wotever. Nor would I even really want to. And yeah, those pedals do look crap!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #2 on: 10 July, 2023, 10:04:19 am »
Not surprised he has a front tooth missing  :)

I've taken the S40 offroad on some minor COR stuff, it makes picking your route very interesting.  I imagine BP on Grunhilda would have a better time of it.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 10 July, 2023, 12:38:11 pm »
I recall a blog post where Ben of Kinetics build up a spare Streetmachine frame as an off-roader, for SCIENCE.  It worked quite well.  Ultimately, the limiting factors become the small diameter front wheel and how much you can shift your body mass around.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #4 on: 10 July, 2023, 06:07:58 pm »
I remember seeing a couple of local “gravel” recumbents in Denmark in 1997, with dual 559 wheels.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #5 on: 10 July, 2023, 09:11:44 pm »
When I rode out to hand over the Cycling Plus forum jersey, and got there early, I had a go at the‘Beast of the East’ part of the Black run in Fetfud (Thetford) forest, on the M5 Citymate clwb recumbent…
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #6 on: 10 July, 2023, 09:22:56 pm »
“Gravel” is often used to describe a wide range of non tarmac surfaces, only a few of which are actual gravel.  Disused railways converted to cycle ways can often be ridden on any recumbent, no special adaptions required.