Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 476714 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #1500 on: 11 February, 2017, 10:43:45 pm »
Excellent, barakta!

So nice when something works well!

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #1501 on: 12 February, 2017, 09:36:51 pm »
Hmm, presently suffering from (possibly stress induced as a result of jaw clenching) unilateral temporomandibular joint dysfunction. This is affecting my ability to masticate, and my enjoyment of the results of same.

Sympathies.  I had that quite badly in my teens.  Saw a maxillofacial bod who poked around, blamed exam stress and told me not to chew gum(!).

Eventually cured by leaving home.

I suffered for a long time with terrible pain in my cheeks  (not taken to a doc but self diagnosed as similar when discussed with dentist). Got a bite guard made at the dentist, now so much better.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #1502 on: 12 February, 2017, 09:38:13 pm »
Having struggled with this bloody depression for about two years now, today I've given in and asked to be signed off. The emotional demands of the work are taking every last bit of me, and I need some time away from it. So I'm off for three weeks and with any luck by next week I'll have the reserves needed to start doing the things that help me get better.

Hope the break helps, EG.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1503 on: 14 February, 2017, 07:39:26 pm »
I went to Queen Square today for routine blood tests I could have arranged at the surgery 100 yards away but
If I have blood taken at Queen Square, the results go straight to my consultants and my notes. Having arranged for my blood test form to be at  the OPD desk, I went straight in to the phlebotomist and we were free to leave the hospital within 5 minutes of arrival.
Had I arranged a local service I might have lost the will to live:
Arranging an appointment for a blood test
Chasing up the results
Getting results sent to Queen Square
Checking results have been received by the right people at Queen Square so I get my medication.

It seems HUGELY inefficient to go into Central London for simple blood tests but.....

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #1504 on: 20 February, 2017, 06:24:12 pm »
Sore throat, check.
Slightly swollen glands, check.

Looks Iike I'll be DNS on the 100K audax I was meant to be taking part on Sunday.....   :facepalm:

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1505 on: 22 February, 2017, 08:00:58 am »
I went to Queen Square today for routine blood tests I could have arranged at the surgery 100 yards away but
If I have blood taken at Queen Square, the results go straight to my consultants and my notes. Having arranged for my blood test form to be at  the OPD desk, I went straight in to the phlebotomist and we were free to leave the hospital within 5 minutes of arrival.
Chasing up the results
Checking results have been received by the right people at Queen Square so I get my medication.

It seems HUGELY inefficient to go into Central London for simple blood tests but.....

Dear lord what a rigmarole.  I call one of the nurses who looked after the Inlaw Paw; she drops in, draws the blood and forwards it to the lab. The doc has the results on line on the day the sample was taken and I receive them in the mail a day or two later.

Anyway, dropped in to mention that as of 1st July this year doctors in France will be able to prescribe sport as a treatment for various maladies incl. cancer, diabetes, coronary problems, etc.  Wonder if I can get n+1 out of it. Or failing that, a sub for maintenance.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1506 on: 22 February, 2017, 12:38:44 pm »
Chasing up the results

Dear lord what a rigmarole.  I call one of the nurses who looked after the Inlaw Paw; she drops in, draws the blood and forwards it to the lab. The doc has the results on line on the day the sample was taken and I receive them in the mail a day or two later.

Anyway, dropped in to mention that as of 1st July this year doctors in France will be able to prescribe sport as a treatment for various maladies incl. cancer, diabetes, coronary problems, etc.  Wonder if I can get n+1 out of it. Or failing that, a sub for maintenance.

Here's hoping!
My rigmarole is due to the fact that my medication is prescribed and supplies are arranged by Queen Square, part of the UCLH group in central London.
My GP is 100 metres away but we're in Brent/Harrow. Blood samples would go to Northwick Park (I think) and might be available online for them but the communications 'twixt Brent/Harrow are clunky... Queen Square is a well-oiled machine; poor David schlepped his iPad out so he had a plaything for a long wait but our longest wait was for him at the Gents'...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1507 on: 22 February, 2017, 12:55:58 pm »
Gotcha. Sympathies, it's still a slog.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1508 on: 22 February, 2017, 10:08:19 pm »
Gotcha. Sympathies, it's still a slog.

Indeed; just simpler to take the blood to the right place, whilst still in the patient...

« Reply #1509 on: 23 February, 2017, 10:16:17 am »
Eye lasering on Thursday to correct my -1.75 myopia and astigmatism.  Looking forward to it in a funny kind of way.
Amazing.  Best money I've ever spent.
Went back for my one-month checkup on Tuesday.  Nailed the 6/4 lines.  Low-light vision is perhaps not as clear as it was before, but on the whole I'm astonished how good it is.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #1510 on: 28 February, 2017, 03:18:01 pm »
My new increased dose of antidepressants seems to be kicking in, and I've just been for a brisk 3.5 mile walk around Arthur's Seat, clockwise. Took about an hour with one short break for breath recovery.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1511 on: 28 February, 2017, 03:23:38 pm »
Good old Arthur!  We have fond memories of a wee shop at the foot of the Royal Mile that sold scrumptious bacon sandwiches to May-morning students stumbling down bedewed, bewildered and mildly overhung.

:thumbsup:

BrianI

« Reply #1512 on: 06 March, 2017, 06:17:57 pm »
Ho hum.

2017, and Gammy Left Knee!

Physio thinks my issues have been due to weak leg muscles meaning the patella isn't tracking the knee joint properly. 

:facepalm:

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1513 on: 06 March, 2017, 07:18:36 pm »
Ouchy!
Hope it settles!
I think we've had previous threads here about patello femoral maltracking but I've not yet tried the search facility.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1514 on: 07 March, 2017, 11:31:20 am »
Cough sneeze splutter hack hack cough dribble wipe sneeze cough.

Wanna strangle the bastard who sneezed round us in Super U last week.  Missus was closer and has all the above plus bronchitis. :demon:

BrianI

« Reply #1515 on: 07 March, 2017, 05:04:55 pm »
Ouchy!
Hope it settles!
I think we've had previous threads here about patello femoral maltracking but I've not yet tried the search facility.

Thanks Hellymedic. A good bit less pain in the knee today  when using clutch in the  car, and descending stairs, so it looks like the magic tape is doing something. 

It is annoying though, as I had been hoping to pop my 200k audax cherry this year...   :'(

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1516 on: 07 March, 2017, 05:35:38 pm »
Static quads for the win...

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #1517 on: 07 March, 2017, 07:38:10 pm »
My innards are troubling me. I've been having intermittent bouts of Bristol stool chart 5s and 6s with noticeable urgency for ages now, but put it down to my sertraline. But I've been on the sertraline 18 months and the innards problems are getting worse - I'm shitting multiple times a day, I'm having unpleasant gnawing pain in my mid abdomen sometimes, followed by a 3-4 on the stool chart, crampy growliness in my lower abdomen at times, and lots and lots of urgency followed by more 5s and 6s. And when I say urgency, if I lived on the 3rd floor instead of the 2nd, I'd have a lot of cleaning up to do. So I'm off to the GP tomorrow.
Outpatient appointment is next week, but it's not a colonoscopy appointment, just an appointment.
Bloods taken and I have to send in some poo. Might mix a cat turd in there for a laugh. Consultant was really nice.
Letter from GP saying nothing worrying in my poo and consultant has prescribed Questran Light until my next outpt appt at end of May. Questran Light is a disgusting powder, flavoured like very weak cheap diluting orange, to be mixed with water and forced down my gullet three times a day. No matter how I mix it, it won't properly dissolve and it has an oddly starchy texture, like drinking finely powdered Smash.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1518 on: 07 March, 2017, 08:40:15 pm »
Is aluminium oxide recognised as a lung irritant? I've just taken the rim tape off a wheel that I've had for about four years. The tape, which was some sort of woven plastic, had been on there since the wheel was made, and I think the bike had been in the shop for about a year before I bought it, so at least five years. When I removed it, clouds of white powder came out and made me cough, quite a lot. I presume it was aluminium oxide, probably from galvanic corrosion between metals as it was all around the nipple holes. Anyway, I think I'll just cut the spokes off the other wheel rather than unthread them; they're only plain gauge anyway (the rims are worn out, the hubs are still in good condition).
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #1519 on: 07 March, 2017, 09:42:59 pm »
Any sort of dust can be an irritant.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #1520 on: 07 March, 2017, 09:52:54 pm »
My innards are troubling me. I've been having intermittent bouts of Bristol stool chart 5s and 6s with noticeable urgency for ages now, but put it down to my sertraline. But I've been on the sertraline 18 months and the innards problems are getting worse - I'm shitting multiple times a day, I'm having unpleasant gnawing pain in my mid abdomen sometimes, followed by a 3-4 on the stool chart, crampy growliness in my lower abdomen at times, and lots and lots of urgency followed by more 5s and 6s. And when I say urgency, if I lived on the 3rd floor instead of the 2nd, I'd have a lot of cleaning up to do. So I'm off to the GP tomorrow.
Outpatient appointment is next week, but it's not a colonoscopy appointment, just an appointment.
Bloods taken and I have to send in some poo. Might mix a cat turd in there for a laugh. Consultant was really nice.
Letter from GP saying nothing worrying in my poo and consultant has prescribed Questran Light until my next outpt appt at end of May. Questran Light is a disgusting powder, flavoured like very weak cheap diluting orange, to be mixed with water and forced down my gullet three times a day. No matter how I mix it, it won't properly dissolve and it has an oddly starchy texture, like drinking finely powdered Smash.

Looks like it's fat soluble but I suppose they don't want you dissolving it in fats until it's in your intestines!

« Reply #1521 on: 09 March, 2017, 08:55:26 am »
Is aluminium oxide recognised as a lung irritant?
Yes.
Section 3. Hazard Identification/Potential Health Effects
Emergency Overview: Dust irritating to eyes and respiratory tract
EYE Mechanical eye irritant. May cause tearing and redness.
SKIN Mechanical skin irritant. Prolonged contact may cause
skin abrasion, redness, itching.
SENSITIZATION No data available
INGESTION May cause nausea and vomiting. No long-term health
effects are anticipated.
INHALATION Dust may be slightly irritating to respiratory tract. May
cause coughing or shortness of breath.
TARGET ORGANS Eyes, skin, respiratory system
ACUTE EFFECTS of EXPOSURE Exposure may include persistent cough, shortness of
breath.
CHRONIC EFFECTS of EXPOSURE N/A
SIGNS & SYMPTOMS of EXPOSURE Coughing, shortness of breath

Section 4. First Aid Measures
EYES Flush eyes with large amounts of water. If
signs/symptoms persist, seek medical attention.
SKIN Wash affected area with soap and water. If
signs/symptoms persist, seek medical attention.
INHALATION Remove person to fresh air. If signs/symptoms develop,
seek medical attention.
INGESTION Ingestion is an unlikely route of exposure. Leave
decision to induce vomiting to qualified medical
personnel, since particles may be aspirated into the
lungs. Seek immediate medical attention.

Chris S

« Reply #1522 on: 10 March, 2017, 01:49:38 pm »
Among the groups on Facebook I'm a member of, is an advocacy group for NSNG diet (No Sugar, No Grains) and this post made me think of several people here on YACF who struggle with auto-immune conditions. American units for things; sorry about that!

"Hello all! I went to my internal medicine doctor today for lab work. In December before NSNG, my weight was 297, my fasting blood sugar was 220 and my A1C was 10.4. That was taking 4 blood sugar pills (glyburide) per day. Today my weight was 270, fasting blood sugar was 81 and my A1C was 6.6. I saw my rheumatologist last week and am off the arthritis meds (Celebrex) and immune suppressant (methotrexate) too. I am only taking 1 blood pressure pill per day. I feel so much better and hope with some more weight loss I can get off this last pill. Thanks for all the help this group has provided in these 2 months I have been NSNG. If you are in your first 30 days, it gets better I promise!"

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #1523 on: 12 March, 2017, 07:58:32 pm »
Feed a cold - starve a fever, correct? 

*burp*
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

BrianI

« Reply #1524 on: 12 March, 2017, 08:23:07 pm »
Blooming gammy left knee.  9 mile walk with 500m ascent with the local meetup group today. Knee fupping sair now.   :facepalm:  So no bike riding for me on my day off tomorrow.   :'(