Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 476718 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #4375 on: 08 June, 2023, 03:09:10 pm »
You’re all horrid  :'(

Because we luv you.  O:-)
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #4376 on: 08 June, 2023, 03:23:59 pm »
You’re all horrid  :'(

Because we luv you.  O:-)

We wax lyrical about you  :-*

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #4377 on: 13 June, 2023, 02:50:37 pm »
Had new hearing aids today.  So lot of sitting in front of pink noise and stuff on top of all the tests last week.
Never had them before and it's going to take a while to get used to them.  My own voice being amplified is not fun, but apparently my brain will learn to filter that out soon.
The controls are on an app on my phone which is great and I'm busy setting up various program states. Garden, street, living room, that sort of thing. I'm sure they'll all need to be changed as I get better at it.
Looking forward to setting and saving a 'pub state' tonight.
If needed I can adjust each side separately, so if I'm sitting between shouty Gareth and whispering Breian, I can deal with it.

Anyway probably no news to some of you, but I was impressed with the thoroughness and promptness of the service.  Well done NHS/GIG.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #4378 on: 13 June, 2023, 04:03:34 pm »
Would be great is 'pub' or 'restaurant' mode enabled you to tune in the the bar staff and whoever you are with, and tune out the rest.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #4379 on: 13 June, 2023, 06:07:18 pm »
 ;D
Haven't yet worked out how to take phone calls or listen to podcasts yet. It claims that it is possible.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4380 on: 14 June, 2023, 09:52:04 am »
In hosp while they try to work out if I had a stroke yesterday or not. Got v. muzzy & incoherent yest ca 4am, slept again, up at usual 0630 , had to try 10 times to enter Windows PWD. The feeling faded by in an hour but called doc, who sprang into action. Ended up here too late for MRI to help (shd have called asap), had scan + carotid/coronary/cardio echographies, MRI today probably.

Feeling fine, enjoying it so far. Docs are great, explain everything. Neurologist strongly suspects hyponatremia, my Na was 'very' low 126. Here's hoping.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4381 on: 14 June, 2023, 10:03:58 am »
Ulp! Fingers crossed.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #4382 on: 14 June, 2023, 10:04:04 am »
Here's hoping indeed.

Keep your electrolytes up in hot weather!
<i>Marmite slave</i>

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4383 on: 14 June, 2023, 12:00:18 pm »
Doesn't seem serious. MRI shd show if there's damage but did a Graun Quick this morning easily as usual.

« Reply #4384 on: 14 June, 2023, 12:06:39 pm »
Doesn't seem serious. MRI shd show if there's damage but did a Graun Quick this morning easily as usual.

Do they give you copies of the MRI so you get the homer looking slice of the head? ;)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4385 on: 14 June, 2023, 12:46:01 pm »
Hope so. We get all our x-rays back

« Reply #4386 on: 15 June, 2023, 02:28:02 pm »
Hope so. We get all our x-rays back

Do you? This side of the country we just get a code to tap into the internets to try to download them (in lo-res I think) then print out if you're that way inclined. IRM (MRI) used to give a cd for the images (perhaps only if private), which could only be read with the right medical software, but I'm not sure they still do that (pretty certain we didn't have one for Mme's last one but that was public sector).

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #4387 on: 15 June, 2023, 06:13:31 pm »
Hi T42, how is it going today?
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4388 on: 16 June, 2023, 08:04:30 am »
Hi Auntie,

I'm fine, need my bike. Out of ICU (ITU?) yest, waiting for an MRI slot, lo priority. In view of Na & K levels they might scrub round it. I'll not be out before Monday though.

Discovered that while pills from the pharmacy taste vile, the same pills in here are sweet. Out there they only want you to take them if you need them, in here they give you an incentive.

I'll take the bitter ones any day.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4389 on: 19 June, 2023, 10:22:16 am »
Still stuck on stir, but waiting for MRI slot or doc's ok to get out. Been doing stairs to maintain legs, 28 floors yesterday. Boring. Luckily roomie is a good lad or I'd go bonkers.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #4390 on: 19 June, 2023, 10:34:07 am »
Still stuck on stir, but waiting for MRI slot or doc's ok to get out. Been doing stairs to maintain legs, 28 floors yesterday. Boring. Luckily roomie is a good lad or I'd go bonkers.

Better than the alternative and all that. HK and I hope you get sorted in double-quick time.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #4391 on: 19 June, 2023, 11:43:34 am »
Wishing you well, T42.

If you have low sodium and potassium levels at the same time, are you just NaK-ered?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4392 on: 20 June, 2023, 05:19:33 pm »
Home again yesterday afternoon, somewhat knackered indeed.  Looks like it was a TIA but they haven't found a reason yet, so I'm due for a 24-hour holter to see if I've got silent atrial fib.  That'd be a PITA coz they'd probably beta-blocker me until my legs stopped working (although a few stiff coffees can negate that).  Also on extra diabetes nostrum, sitagliptin as in psittacosis (not), and looking forward to an MRI in early July. Did a 5k walk this morning, all well.

Thanks for good wishes, everyone.

One thing that p's me off: when I was a student I used to smoke a pipe, but when we got to France I couldn't get the right tobacco and so stopped. 50 years later they still put on my med history "tobacco (stopped)" with no reference to how long ago it was.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #4393 on: 21 June, 2023, 06:08:34 pm »
A trip to the audiology department today, and a Shiny. New. pair of hearing aids dispensed. They’ve got Bluetooth connectivity and everything. I’m thinking of procuring a copy of Oticon Genie 2 / link thingy so that I can add components directly myself and fiddle with the programming without having to visit the clinic. I’ll also have to find a computer that will run a recent enough copy of windoz, so not a trivial task.

As an additional observation, the audiologist I was dealing with maintained the level of competence I’ve come to associate with her profession and actually tried to talk to me while she had my hearing aids in bits on the desk in front of her.   :facepalm:
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #4394 on: 21 June, 2023, 06:30:56 pm »
I’m thinking of procuring a copy of Oticon Genie 2 / link thingy so that I can add components directly myself and fiddle with the programming without having to visit the clinic. I’ll also have to find a computer that will run a recent enough copy of windoz, so not a trivial task.

I know people who have done this and really like the flexibility!

As an additional observation, the audiologist I was dealing with maintained the level of competence I’ve come to associate with her profession and actually tried to talk to me while she had my hearing aids in bits on the desk in front of her.   :facepalm:

That's like a compulsory rite of passage or something!

I hate it when they do that, cos the ones who do that NEVER apologise, they just make excuses and giggle nervously. They hate it when my companion snarks at them about it (I don't know they've done it, cos I can't hear it at all, which they should know).

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4395 on: 21 June, 2023, 06:34:38 pm »
To be fair, I snark at myself for doing it too.  Usually something to the effect of <me audiologist stupid>

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #4396 on: 21 June, 2023, 06:44:10 pm »
Also she didn’t give me the HA cases and I forgot to ask >:(
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #4397 on: 21 June, 2023, 06:47:23 pm »
Hmm. I got blue tooth hearing aids last Tuesday.  One week later and one has failed.   ::-)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4398 on: 22 June, 2023, 07:30:52 am »

A bit like unblocking the sink and then emptying the bucket into it before putting the U-bend back together.

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #4399 on: 22 June, 2023, 10:57:50 am »
Hmm. I got blue tooth hearing aids last Tuesday.  One week later and one has failed.   ::-)

Blimey.  I took failed hearing aid down to audiology in Carmarthen yesterday.  It has come back in first class post today!
That's not bad service.  :thumbsup: