Author Topic: Magnifying lamp  (Read 973 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Magnifying lamp
« on: 07 February, 2021, 04:58:57 pm »
I've taken to doing colouring books as a break from being on here or watching the telly. However middle age approaches and the onset of varifocals means I'm struggling.
I'd like a clamp on magnifying lamp, but it needs to work from far enough away from the task that I can get a colouring pen/pencil between the lamp and the book.

Any recommendations?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Magnifying lamp
« Reply #1 on: 07 February, 2021, 05:55:23 pm »
Not the ones Maplin used to sell about 15 years ago.  The joints never tighten enough, and it will randomly droop and/or clonk you on the head at inopportune moments.

(Also, colouring-in is barakta's new hobby-that-doesn't-involve-audio-or-reading.)

*watches thread with interest*

« Reply #2 on: 07 February, 2021, 06:44:06 pm »
I do it with an app.

The colouring, that is; not the magnification.

« Reply #3 on: 07 February, 2021, 06:49:04 pm »
I have used varifocals for years, but for tasks as you describe and reading in  general, half high reading glasses work well for me. Not expensive in single vision.

May advance the middle aged appearance though.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #4 on: 07 February, 2021, 07:27:10 pm »
I have used varifocals for years, but for tasks as you describe and reading in  general, half high reading glasses work well for me. Not expensive in single vision.

My 'normal' vision correction is about +8 so I'd need to bend my head to within a couple of inches of the page. So that's a no.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #5 on: 07 February, 2021, 07:45:58 pm »

My 'normal' vision correction is about +8 so I'd need to bend my head to within a couple of inches of the page. So that's a no.

Sounds like you need the scratchy monks robe & flickering candlelight for the full illuminated manuscript experience,
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #6 on: 07 February, 2021, 07:52:15 pm »
DO NOT get one of these.

« Reply #7 on: 09 February, 2021, 11:55:52 pm »
Plenty of light is a good first start.