Author Topic: Fatbike tyre q?  (Read 38058 times)

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
Re: Fatbike tyre q?
« Reply #50 on: 30 September, 2014, 03:07:05 pm »
I think that someone ^ is hooked ;)

« Reply #51 on: 30 September, 2014, 03:12:46 pm »
 ;D

It's not even arrived yet!

I've got the pedals, saints, sitting here in their shiny new box.

I don't think I'll sleep tonight, like a kid at Christmas. No doubt I'll be checking the tracking every 10 minutes tomorrow too  :P
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

« Reply #52 on: 01 October, 2014, 10:02:57 am »
Bugger!

It's not coming until tomorrow :-\
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

PaulF

« Reply #53 on: 01 October, 2014, 10:08:16 am »
:(

« Reply #54 on: 01 October, 2014, 10:36:24 am »
Pushed this afternoons work to tomorrow too, so I could tinker. Was planning a night ride tonight.

I won't be in until late tomorrow now.

My wife says she's going to hide it somewhere until Christmas :o

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #55 on: 01 October, 2014, 10:38:00 am »
My wife says she's going to hide it somewhere until Christmas :o
Good luck with that ...

« Reply #56 on: 01 October, 2014, 10:43:06 am »
I said that too, she just told me to watch this space  :o

« Reply #57 on: 01 October, 2014, 02:16:05 pm »
Nipped out to do a job earlier and saw the postie, so I gave him a wave. He flagged me down and said I ve got a parcel for you, a Wiggle box, I hadn't ordered anything ???

Slung it into the back of the van until I got back home, wife saw me carying it into the house and got a bit angry. She's secretly ordered me some kit for my new bike and it was going to be surprise, the posties in for a roasting. He's only ever stopped me to give me anything 2-3 times in the 10 years he's been delivering to me in his van  :demon:

So I now have:

Saint pedals, I'd already paid for these
New giro helmet in matt black, she said my other didn't match, it is bright blue.
New long finger alpinestars gloves in black with a burnt orange highlight
A new cambium slate c17
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I'll take her out for a nice meal on Saturday to say thanks :-*

Just need the bike now!

PaulF

« Reply #58 on: 02 October, 2014, 11:12:36 am »
I said that too, she just told me to watch this space  :o

Well?

« Reply #59 on: 02 October, 2014, 12:09:52 pm »
It arrived at 9.30 this morning :thumbsup:

I'm still at work though :'(

« Reply #60 on: 02 October, 2014, 05:23:05 pm »
Wheels on, front brake on, cables and other bits adjusted, torqued up, saddl and pedals on :thumbsup:

Just tinkering a bit then it's out tonight!

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #61 on: 02 October, 2014, 05:34:45 pm »
Wheels on, front brake on, cables and other bits adjusted, torqued up, saddl and pedals on :thumbsup:

Beats sleeping on the sofa, I suppose  :P

Next step - hydraulic brakes ... best upgrade I ever did on my Pug.

« Reply #62 on: 02 October, 2014, 05:37:37 pm »
Can't wait, it's as comfy as a sofa ;D

I quite like bb7s, I've set them up and they feel great. I've also got a bag full of pads etc for them. If they're a bit hairy out on the hills, I may stick some xts on. Planetx had some on sale the other day for £39.99 but I hesitated and they sold out >:(

PaulF

« Reply #63 on: 02 October, 2014, 05:53:31 pm »
Sweeeet! Have fun!

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #64 on: 02 October, 2014, 06:55:42 pm »

Drool!  I want one of those!   :thumbsup: Enjoy the maiden ride!

« Reply #65 on: 02 October, 2014, 07:15:48 pm »
^ that looks fab! Enjoy the first (and all subsequent) ride(s)  :thumbsup:
not so much a gravel grinder.... more of a gravel groveller

« Reply #66 on: 02 October, 2014, 07:22:43 pm »
Thanks all :thumbsup:

Major tinkering done so it can go out now. Fettling session will be tomorrow and Saturday and Sunday.........and so on ;D

It's off to Wales next week too for its first big outing.

« Reply #67 on: 02 October, 2014, 10:01:41 pm »
WOW!

what a ride, just popped out to do the post, through my local woods first :thumbsup:

It's like riding a trials bike, but slower ;D

Glad I didn't have the size down, it would've been to cramped from the saddle to bars. The tyres sound like a bag of angry hornets on tarmac but great on mud. Love the way you can still move in thick mud, yes it's now filthy! SRAM type 2 isn't as good as shimanos shadow plus, it still slaps on really rough stuff. The bb7s have worked perfectly, even on loose gravel descents :thumbsup:

Now the bad.
Returning home I heard a car slow behind me, it could easily pass, thought it was somebody just thinking wtf is he riding. It eventually passed me, a mile down the road it was parked. This is on dark country lanes. I passed it and there was two lads in it, they sat and watched me pass, gawping at the bike. Thought nothing more of it, then at the bottom of a long hill, again a car slowed behind me, turned to look and it was them. I turned off to the right, they followed. It's unusual for cars to turn here unless they live in the street. I then turned right again, it's a dead end, they followed but had to stop at the end. I carried on through a narrow pathway and headed for home.

Paranoid or thieving bastards seeing where I live?

I always go this way home and always have done for this very reason.

Still luv my new bike :thumbsup:

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #68 on: 03 October, 2014, 07:21:50 am »
You'll get used to it - when I rode Pugsley to work a couple of years ago people were actually taking photographs. I'd not worry about theft either - something like that will stick out like a turd on a snooker table. You should still take photographs and make a note of the frame number, though.

Welcome to Fat Club. The first rule of Fat Club is: you do not talk about Fat Club ;D

« Reply #69 on: 03 October, 2014, 07:42:37 am »
You're right, it does stand out a bit!

Maybe the first rule of fat club is the reason I can't join fat bikes uk, still no approval email. I've tried three times with different emails and passwords etc.. Next time you're on give them a kick to get the approvals done :thumbsup:

PaulF

« Reply #70 on: 03 October, 2014, 08:57:08 am »
You're right, it does stand out a bit!

Maybe the first rule of fat club is the reason I can't join fat bikes uk, still no approval email. I've tried three times with different emails and passwords etc.. Next time you're on give them a kick to get the approvals done :thumbsup:

What username did you use there? If you let me know I'll get you fastracked ;)

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #71 on: 03 October, 2014, 10:24:19 am »

« Reply #72 on: 03 October, 2014, 11:57:39 am »
Cheers Paul, username bumper  :thumbsup:

« Reply #73 on: 03 October, 2014, 12:02:42 pm »
The ultimate fat-bike proving ground:

http://salsacycles.com/culture/iceland_land_of_fire_ice_fatbike_dreams_part_two

:demon:

That's just like my Welsh outings ;D

Don't fancy the ice cold foot bath though!

PaulF

« Reply #74 on: 03 October, 2014, 12:31:07 pm »
OK I've PMed the guy responsible