Author Topic: Things I miss about the Tour this year.  (Read 3161 times)

Really Ancien

Things I miss about the Tour this year.
« on: 23 July, 2009, 12:15:51 am »
Upbeat adverts, The Polaris World bloke in his Chinos with the shirt tucked in saying, 'Make sure that for your Spanish Property you pay a fair price', the Ocean finance ad, with the bloke on the Yacht, the late night repeat with the Minxes in Bikinis texting. Now it's the old bloke on the Triumph, folk with cancer and the wierd looking cartoon family.

Damon.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: Things I miss about the Tour this year.
« Reply #1 on: 23 July, 2009, 09:53:40 am »
I blame Lance.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2 on: 23 July, 2009, 10:04:40 am »
Upbeat adverts, The Polaris World bloke in his Chinos with the shirt tucked in saying, 'Make sure that for your Spanish Property you pay a fair price', the Ocean finance ad, with the bloke on the Yacht, the late night repeat with the Minxes in Bikinis texting. Now it's the old bloke on the Triumph, folk with cancer and the wierd looking cartoon family.

Damon.

You're mistaken.  That's not the adverts - that's your life, that is ;D
Getting there...

« Reply #3 on: 23 July, 2009, 10:07:03 am »
I  miss the late night repeats. Not for the texting minxes but because the 1900 showing clashes with Emmerdale and causes all sorts of tension in The Chateau. Thank heavens for live streaming and ITV Player.

red marley

« Reply #4 on: 23 July, 2009, 10:16:39 am »
[...] the 1900 showing clashes with Emmerdale and causes all sorts of tension in The Chateau[...]

Oh, you northern folk. Down here we have the same problem with the Archers.

Thor

• Super-sonnicus idioticus
« Reply #5 on: 23 July, 2009, 10:27:23 am »
[...] the 1900 showing clashes with Emmerdale and causes all sorts of tension in The Chateau[...]

;D - Mrs Thor is an Archers fan, but not to the extent that she'd miss - or make me miss - the Tour highlights.  There's always Listen Again  :)
It was a day like any other in Ireland, only it wasn't raining

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #6 on: 23 July, 2009, 10:35:24 am »

Should I bring some headphones on Saturday to solve this problem?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #7 on: 23 July, 2009, 11:08:57 am »
The nice thing about recording it and watching it later is that five presses of the "Skip the Blipverts" button and one of the "Action Replay" means you never have to stock up with choice invective to hurl at the cock who came up with that "Compare The Meerkat" bollocks.

It also makes you realise that an hour of Tour coverage is actually forty-two minutes.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #8 on: 23 July, 2009, 11:20:40 am »
It also makes you realise that an hour of Tour coverage is actually forty-two minutes.

Erm, you mean it's about 33 mins of cycling, 3 mins repeat of the previous days stage, 2 mins for the competition, 2 mins looking at the next days stage and 2 mins of Paul and Phil talking crap! And now ITV4 show the TdF, opposed to C4, we don't get the iconic intro music and footage.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #9 on: 23 July, 2009, 12:08:35 pm »
Try watching it online on ITV4's player. Where you get the same advert repeated at least 5 times over the course of the programme - there is no way I am going to watch a 3D animated film about super guinea pigs, even more so having seen that adverts at least 50 times whilst I caught up with a little over a week's tour after coming back from holiday.
Also why do ITV4 seem to think that compressing the coverage so heavily it looks like the entire thing was filmed from a late 80's camera phone offers a quality viewing experience?

fuzzy

« Reply #10 on: 24 July, 2009, 12:27:30 pm »
I watch the Phil and Paul show- mainly because SWMBO gets antsy and wants to punch Sean whenever she has to listen to him ;D

« Reply #11 on: 24 July, 2009, 12:57:50 pm »
I watch the Phil and Paul show- mainly because SWMBO gets antsy and wants to punch Sean whenever she has to listen to him ;D

I wonder why?  Well, no I don't actually.  He does my head in also - totally.  I don't care how good a cyclist he was - as a commentator he's frickin atrocious.
The sound of one pannier flapping

alan

« Reply #12 on: 24 July, 2009, 12:59:41 pm »
I rember a time when the complaint on forums was that there was no coverage in the UK

fuzzy

« Reply #13 on: 24 July, 2009, 01:19:50 pm »
I rember a time when the complaint on forums was that there was no coverage in the UK

;D :thumbsup:

gonzo

« Reply #14 on: 24 July, 2009, 01:24:21 pm »
I watched the ITV coverage live yesterday for 2 minutes between adverts then thought I'd try Eurosport where I watched for 45 minutes without an advert!

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #15 on: 24 July, 2009, 01:45:16 pm »
"Paid Content Has Fewer Ads Shock"

I miss yelling "MORE CARBS!" at the beer ad.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Really Ancien

« Reply #16 on: 24 July, 2009, 01:49:00 pm »

Damon.

You're mistaken.  That's not the adverts - that's your life, that is ;D

It's a BMW actually.

Damon.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #17 on: 24 July, 2009, 01:50:24 pm »
;D It's worse than I thought!  Your life is a BMW! :o

*shakes head in despair*
Getting there...

Really Ancien

« Reply #18 on: 24 July, 2009, 01:55:13 pm »
No, I'm an old bloke on a 1984 K100 RS. The strange thing about the Aviva ad is that there are two versions. In one they're going to La Rochelle, in another he's 'found a hotel'. You can tell how much interest there is in the Tour by whether the long or short versions get aired. I'm getting a bit sick of Hoy, nice guy that he is.

Damon.

red marley

« Reply #19 on: 24 July, 2009, 02:23:23 pm »
How could you get sick of Hoy and his ha-ha-hearty breakfast? Oi, Hoy! Race yer!

I haven't seen acting that bad since Sir Hammy O'Ham won first place the South Hams Amateur Dramatics Society's "Worst performance of 1982".

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #20 on: 24 July, 2009, 02:49:30 pm »
So you haven't seen Robert Millar's advert, then? ;D
Getting there...

« Reply #21 on: 24 July, 2009, 02:52:21 pm »
How could you get sick of Hoy and his ha-ha-hearty breakfast? Oi, Hoy! Race yer!

I haven't seen acting that bad since Sir Hammy O'Ham won first place the South Hams Amateur Dramatics Society's "Worst performance of 1982".

On yer bike! ;)

« Reply #22 on: 24 July, 2009, 08:36:44 pm »
The Tour is not the Tour without a great big feckin' CDC painted on the road.
The one last year at a key point in the stage was causing the camera crews to keep quickly switching to another shot.  ;D

Only seen a very quick glimpse of Didi the Devil this year.
Apparently, he's now sponsored by a fizzy drink manufacturer, so they are having to omit him from the coverage.
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #23 on: 24 July, 2009, 08:47:40 pm »
So you haven't seen Robert Millar's advert, then? ;D
Is it for Dorothy Perkins?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #24 on: 24 July, 2009, 08:50:44 pm »
Kellogg's Start cereal?
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup: