Author Topic: Media Coverage  (Read 3055 times)

Media Coverage
« on: 22 July, 2012, 11:10:26 pm »
At the risk of sounding a bit grouchy i wonder what others make of the wider media coverage of this TdF?

It's top story on the BBC, but watching their coverage of it leaves me feeling a little flat, as though they haven't got close to reporting the essence of what i've been following the past 3 weeks.  It was odd that they sat on Wiggo winning yellow in favour of the tennis, not sure why the two can't both be reported simultaneously, i would hope not simply because coverage was on another channel, but what i saw was a continuation of a very strong well-drilled team, with a couple of notable additions, continue their imperious early season form.  It was the strength of the team acting together that put Bradders on the top step, and it was because of this that he blew all other lead outs away on the run in for Cav.

That, to me was the story of this tour - of a team working for each other and producing spectacular results because of it, and as someone on the TdF thread mentions it is DB's realisation of his plainly stated objectives.  I would love it if it were reported accordingly, a terrific antidote to everyday sports coverage; the brashness of national footballers for example.

I have made similar points in posts on the TdF thread, so apologies if it seems like i'm banging on a bit or being a bore, but to me that has been the essence of it all and that's why it's been great!   ;D

Perhaps i'll go and send this off to BBC News?

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: Media Coverage
« Reply #1 on: 22 July, 2012, 11:30:10 pm »
I'm struggling to think of a better position that they could give to the news than lead item. Maybe there is a lead, lead position?

I'd imagine that any criticism of how poor the coverage has been, blah blah would do rather little for the image of cyclists in this country.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #2 on: 23 July, 2012, 12:28:02 am »
I'm struggling to think of a better position that they could give to the news than lead item. Maybe there is a lead, lead position?

I'd imagine that any criticism of how poor the coverage has been, blah blah would do rather little for the image of cyclists in this country.

I did not comment on the position within the bulletin, and surely if one fears to criticise then one is bound to accept mediocrity?

My point is that the purpose of the news is to communicate to the wider public, people will have seen the terrestrial coverage of the past two days, even more will have seen and heard news coverage today.  The sport, as a direct result of one teams efforts, is in the national spotlight.

So i'm saying that there were nice photos and some good footage of Bradders through the years, and from todays stage and presentations, there were also comments of a more political nature seeking to nudge the news agenda into positive mode before the Olympics.  What there was not however, in my view at least, was an explanation of what had led up to this historic event.  No reference to the unusual displays of teamwork which might help people to understand much of what happened in the race, in the context of the stage today and why this was such an acheivement

How many times have you seen the World Champion act as domestique?  How many times has the Maillot Jaune been such an effective lead out man into the final straight of the Champs Elysees?  These are remarkable things, things which if understood and explained might cause people to develop a litttle insight into what's been going on and might lead to them taking an interest in the sport.

These teammates, as the rest of us, have flaws.  But through their clear common purpose and willingness to sacrifice their own ambitions voluntarily for the greater good they have become an indominitable force and acheived what many thought impossible.

I was inspired by the Tour, less so by some of the media coverage.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #3 on: 23 July, 2012, 01:14:36 am »
I did not comment on the position within the bulletin

It's top story on the BBC

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #4 on: 23 July, 2012, 01:53:06 am »
I did not comment on the position within the bulletin

It's top story on the BBC

That's a statement not a comment ;)

I don't think cycling has had such good tv coverage ever. OK the reporters weren't that knowledgeable, but then again how many other events are they just the same but we don't know any better?

I think that, Daily Mail hate stories about RLJs aside, cycling has never been as high up the news agenda as it was today, and it was pretty much universally positive.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #5 on: 23 July, 2012, 08:49:25 am »
twiddler, I think you may be confusing your own perspective with that of 98% of the population.

The BBC news is aimed at the general population, 98% of whom will think a domestique is a french nanny any the only teamsport is football and really haven't the slightest conception of the sporting mountain team Sky just climbed. The ITV4 coverage has been excellent watched by the 2% (prob more, ok, but not that many) the wider coverage has a wider audience, interested in different things.

« Reply #6 on: 23 July, 2012, 09:48:10 am »
The coverage on the radio was effing awful.

I was out on the boat yesterday afternoon. "I'll put the radio on and listen to the coverage, 5live is supposed to be covering this."

Well they were, sort of. About every ten minutes they'd say something like "Bradley wiggins is now certain to win . . . blah blah Now back to the golf, were we are trying to work out what colour Fred Wilbergers trousers are, Ian here thinks they are an off-white, while Geoff says there is a hint of eggshell blue."

No, seriously, they were debating the colour of the trousers worn by the players.  Rather than covering a first in sporting history.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #7 on: 23 July, 2012, 07:44:00 pm »
I was so taken by the news kiosk at work I had to take a commemorative photie

Aero but not dynamic

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #8 on: 23 July, 2012, 07:55:59 pm »
No, seriously, they were debating the colour of the trousers worn by the players.  Rather than covering a first in sporting history.
I bet you I can find you something just as trivial on a cycling forum.

(Or see the Phil and Paul thread for commentary about local castles, cheeses, etc ... )

More people follow Golf. It's a fact - maybe because more play? I don't know.

We can evangelise about cycling, but there's no point whining about the media knowing their audience.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #9 on: 23 July, 2012, 09:04:49 pm »
twiddler, I think you may be confusing your own perspective with that of 98% of the population.

You might be right, but how would i know?   :hand: (Metaphysics alert!)

I stand by the comments i made, but i recognise i only have a partial view of such things, however if you saw the quality of the BBC's web reporting (certainly the latter stages) of the event you may also have wondered why the later main news bulletin would provide so much less insight.  The hourly BBC radio news bulletins yesterday morning were referring to Froome as Wiggins rival, again this gives a distorted view of the event, surely accuracy is a key aim in news reporting?
Today covered the story very well this morning, also heard very good work on 5live today, so i'm not grinding an axe, although i understand it may be possible to perceive my commments thus.

I suppose only one broadcaster could guarantee top coverage, it was good to see Dave beaming here http://www.teamsky.com/video/0,27287,,00.html

Anyone pick up a copy of L'Equipe?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #10 on: 24 July, 2012, 07:00:38 am »
I was so taken by the news kiosk at work I had to take a commemorative photie

I'm taken with the Express in that selection. ;D
Getting there...

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #11 on: 24 July, 2012, 08:27:34 am »
That's Monday's headline for The Express. Monday = Mortgages.

Wiggins won on the wrong day. If he had won on Tuesday the Express readers would ave been able to cope with a Wiggins story on Wednesday.

« Reply #12 on: 24 July, 2012, 08:34:52 am »
Any other year Froomes achievement would have been cause for major celebration, however he has been rather over looked.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #13 on: 24 July, 2012, 01:40:18 pm »
I'm confused - Froome vs Wiggo has been the biggest topic of debate, hasn't it?  :-\
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #14 on: 24 July, 2012, 02:22:47 pm »
But look at Mondays papers, e.g. the Independant that I get, 5 pages covering the cycling of which 4 were on Wiggins, 1 on Cavandish and one measley column on Froome.

« Reply #15 on: 24 July, 2012, 07:22:07 pm »
I purchased a load of papers on Sunday and Monday and I think the coverage was great with loads about Team Sky, Brailsford, Cav, Wiggo and Froomy, and even on what we need to do to ensure cycling as a main stream activity prevails.

TV coverage was also great IMO and to lead on BBC and ITV news was 10/10.

There will always be those with glass half empty and always be those who want more. But I am quite content with TDF coverage this year.

Also very happy to have a mate in France who secured copies of L'Equipe for me.

« Reply #16 on: 24 July, 2012, 09:38:03 pm »
My favourite bit of writing was from Graham Robb in the Review section of the Saturday Guardian.

A greater mystery is the failure of any French rider to win the national race since Bernard "the Badger" Hinault won it for the fifth time in 1985. The explanation may lie in a little-known aspect of the national psyche – a desire to see the hero go down fighting. The current favourites of French cycling belong to a category of rider called the baroudeur (army slang for "scrapper"). Like a demented legionnaire, the baroudeur decides to save the regiment by embarking on a futile mission. He surges ahead of the peloton and opens up a gap of several minutes. Live TV shows him grimacing with self-inflicted pain. His tongue flaps about like the tiny pennant of a colonial fort under siege. Usually, the exhausted hero is caught a few seconds before the end, and the drama reaches its satisfyingly tragic conclusion.

Happily for the baroudeur, most of his compatriots couldn't care less who wins. They stand at the roadside, cheering anyone mad enough to take on the tour. They know that the battle is decided by fate, personified in what they like to call la bêtise humaine – the sheer stupidity of other people. If Wiggins does win the tour, it will be because all those petits branleurs with their dogs, cameras, carpet tacks and water-bottle costumes allowed him to win it.

Graham Robb is the author of the award-winning The Discovery of France (Picador).
http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/jul/20/graham-robb-thrill-tour-france

It's worth tracking down his book if you haven't read it.

« Reply #17 on: 24 July, 2012, 11:26:30 pm »

Anyone pick up a copy of L'Equipe?