Author Topic: Bare Bones 400km from Chalfont st Peter  (Read 2902 times)

Bare Bones 400km from Chalfont st Peter
« on: 18 May, 2019, 01:10:40 pm »
Im down to ride this next Saturday and looking forward to it.

Anyone else Riding or have ridden the route in the Past ??

S2L

Re: Bare Bones 400km from Chalfont st Peter
« Reply #1 on: 18 May, 2019, 06:38:25 pm »
Yes, it's the same route as London Wales London

Phil W

« Reply #2 on: 19 May, 2019, 02:06:24 pm »
It's the old X rated Severn Across I think.  Rode it in 2013 as my first 400.  Lovely route and it was fun at Membury services seeing the look on ddriver's faces "Where the dark did those cyclists come from.."

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #3 on: 19 May, 2019, 11:49:25 pm »
Yes, it's the same route as London Wales London

It's almost the same route as LWL — LWL goes to Lambourn, BB doesn't, although there's nothing stopping anyone ...

HK also mentioned today that BB is the same as Severn Across and a worthy ride — I'm riding it  :thumbsup:
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

« Reply #4 on: 20 May, 2019, 12:06:47 am »
BB organizer [same geezer as LWL organizer] is offering something highly useful here for PBP aspirationals - a chance to qualify with a BB 400. Nice.
Said organsier describes the BB as 'proper audax' on the official AUK web site.
What one earth does he mean by this?
I mean..........really :-)
Get round BB in good shape and you're in the money for PBP, no messing :-)
Not doing PBP, but am inscrutably interested in riding this again.
Garry Broad

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #5 on: 20 May, 2019, 08:23:14 am »

Said BB organiser hash-tagged LWL with #sportive, if you remember, and provided fully manned/womanned TLC stops every 75km — no such downgrades on BB, i.e. proper audax: car park start, garage stops including foraging for yer own caik, postal return :thumbsup:

« Reply #6 on: 20 May, 2019, 08:56:08 am »

Said BB organiser hash-tagged LWL with #sportive, if you remember, and provided fully manned/womanned TLC stops every 75km — no such downgrades on BB, i.e. proper audax: car park start, garage stops including foraging for yer own caik, postal return :thumbsup:

Steady on - I don't think I ever used the S word.

Places still available, After I tell you to bog off at the start that's it. Ride around with a a mate or not and fill your boots outside assorted co-ops and tea rooms as you see fit. Postal finish and validation dependent on whether you've managed to fill you card in properly (a task which stumps a lot of people at the end of 400km).

At this point, the weather looks like it will be perfect for the return leg with a tail breeze and tropical temperatures.

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #7 on: 20 May, 2019, 03:05:59 pm »
Steady on - I don't think I ever used the S word.

Oops, maybe I misremembered, sorry!  :-[

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #8 on: 20 May, 2019, 07:45:19 pm »
For those wondering, Chalfont St Peter Church Street Car Park (SL9 9RS) will require a 10.5 hour ticket, which is, apparently, £3.60.  This covers 7.30am to 6pm, and the car park is then free thru to Monday morning.  It also possible to pay by phone   :thumbsup:

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #9 on: 21 May, 2019, 06:36:06 pm »
For those wondering, Chalfont St Peter Church Street Car Park (SL9 9RS) will require a 10.5 hour ticket, which is, apparently, £3.60.  This covers 7.30am to 6pm, and the car park is then free thru to Monday morning.  It also possible to pay by phone  :thumbsup:
Does that mean one can avoid going to Chalfont altogether?

Where is Liam sending people to for the Woodstock control? (My bet is Blenheim Palace Conservatoire).

And am I alllowed to gatecrash there?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #10 on: 22 May, 2019, 07:04:37 am »
I thought that was where the Duke of Didcot hung out all the time

It's a free control so I suspect people will probably hit one of the tea shoppes on the high street...

« Reply #11 on: 23 May, 2019, 08:04:28 pm »
Entries closed on website. EMAIL me (not PM) if you want to do EoL

Liam

« Reply #12 on: 26 May, 2019, 06:34:38 pm »
Well, what on earth possessed me to ride this again after only a few weeks, I am utterly clueless about. I never ride anything over 300km unless it's a qualifier. LWL was conquered on the recumbent, so having kind of retired that particular bike, I thought I'd give the old Peugeot a whirl. Bad move. In short: it feels as though both cheeks of my arse have been in combat with a blow torch. Think I'll be sitting in a tractor tyre for a few days. Goodness me.

In contrast to the weather on LWL a few weeks ago - this was a gloriously warm day - T-shirt, shorts and fingerless gloves during the daylight hours, and not that much more during the night section either.

Bare bones - which meant a return to the old Severn Across A4. I wonder how many folk ventured over the Lambourn downs after Membury? I was having none of it, nor where a few other riders - two of which I rode with after Membury, Barbara and Liz. Very welcome as that was, we did part company all of a sudden due to variations in our respective GPX tracks, which was a shame as I never had chance to say goodbye, so if they're reading this - thanks for the company and good luck with the imminent 600!

One thing became blatantly obvious for me yesterday - I'm not altogether sorry I won't be riding PBP this year. Big note to self: more speed and training will definitely be required to lift the experience from the dungeoans of an agonizing stressfest of riding against the clock to one that is even marginally enjoyable!

As far as the longer rides go - that'll be my lot for this year.

Thanks for getting out of bed at unsocialable o'clock on Saturday morning Liam.
Garry Broad

« Reply #13 on: 27 May, 2019, 06:26:06 pm »
Glad you enjoyed it. It shows that a great route (Thanks Mr Benyon) and great weather (thanks to those who paid the fair wether supplement) alway pays off!.

This marks my retirement from organising - work is getting in the way - and I owe thanks to the many dozens of delightful people who have helped put on LWL and previously SA. And the the several hundred of equally delightful people who have ridden the events and made them such a joy by buying into a community and not always putting themselves first.

I love audax and look forward to supporting Manotea in future years when he takes LWL on in his inimical style and flare.

Liam

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #14 on: 27 May, 2019, 08:11:06 pm »
Nice one — many thanks for all your energy and hard work, Liam  :thumbsup:

ps. brevet's in the post.

« Reply #15 on: 27 May, 2019, 08:14:24 pm »
I never did get down to see any of your rides. I remember the village hall in Chalfont St Peter though. We had the prize giving for a hedgelaying competition there in 1988. I came third I remember. A nice part of the world. Thanks for putting Audax on the map.

« Reply #16 on: 28 May, 2019, 09:13:06 am »
Oh no! If I’d realised the bare bones was your last organised event I’d have ridden down, even without your arrivee tlc. Hope to see you on a ride sometime!
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!