Author Topic: Interesting and Unusual Bikes You've Seen  (Read 637992 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Interesting and Unusual Bikes You've Seen
« Reply #850 on: 16 April, 2011, 12:05:01 am »
A '70s Chopper in '70s purple, with '70s rust on its '70s steel mudguards, and a 3-speed twist-grip.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #851 on: 16 April, 2011, 10:18:23 am »
Twist grip? They just aren't right without the groin-catcher gear lever!

Are you sure it wasn't a poor condition modern one? Or was it a retrofitted shifter?

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #852 on: 16 April, 2011, 12:29:10 pm »
I think it was an original one with retro-fitted shifter, but I'll have to have a closer look if I see it again.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #853 on: 16 April, 2011, 09:30:33 pm »
Thursday, there was a nice fixed parked outside work.  It was a large green Claud Butler of some vintage (old 'rings' headbadge), with a Brooks saddle.  Nicely done.
Getting there...

« Reply #854 on: 19 April, 2011, 11:10:43 pm »
A whole load of weird and wonderful machines at the BHPC meeting at Hillingdon on Sunday.

The only one that I photographed (badly) was this:

I think that it was the cunning use of exhaust clamps that really made it special:

There are loads of far better photographs of the event here.

« Reply #855 on: 19 April, 2011, 11:37:40 pm »

I think that it was the cunning use of exhaust clamps that really made it special:

I don't whether to ;D:o or  :facepalm: at that creation!

And I've just spotted the gear cable outers, held on to the frame with what looks like masking tape.

Should have used duct tape...  ;)
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #856 on: 20 April, 2011, 09:11:37 am »
That looks...interesting
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #857 on: 20 April, 2011, 10:28:35 pm »
A Trikidoo in Lambeth, with a couple of 'ducklings' on little bikes :thumbsup:

And, at Tooting Broadway, a Trax bike (no I dunno either).  It wasn't that that was most interesting.  Not even the punctured rear tyre.  More that the tyre bead was completely off the rim, and rubbing on the frame each side and fouling the brakes, and that it seemed the chap had been riding it around in this condition and was unconcerned :o

I also saw a chap in Balham on a smart classic road bike - sort of greeny-blue with chromed ends and an Italian-sounding name, and dripping with Campag Record.  I tried to remember the name, but, when I got to Tooting, i saw the clown with the tyre off, and I was a bit flabberbegasted.  Anyway, I've seen this fast chap once before.  He is extremely fit, and today was wearing a 'World Masters Championship' jersey.  Very cool.  I wanted to ride with him a bit longer, but he took a more marginal route across a congested Tooting Bec junction, and then I got stuck behind some cautious riders, so he was away. :-\

I must look out for him again and get what his bike is.
Getting there...

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #858 on: 21 April, 2011, 01:08:21 am »
Just spotted a beautifully restored Flying Scot on Ebay.  Would have been much nicer to see it pass in the street, but hey.  It's a little too big for me, or I'd be raiding the piggy bank.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #859 on: 21 April, 2011, 09:59:39 am »
I also saw a chap in Balham on a smart classic road bike - sort of greeny-blue with chromed ends and an Italian-sounding name, and dripping with Campag Record.  I tried to remember the name, but, when I got to Tooting, i saw the clown with the tyre off, and I was a bit flabberbegasted.  Anyway, I've seen this fast chap once before.  He is extremely fit, and today was wearing a 'World Masters Championship' jersey.  Very cool.  I wanted to ride with him a bit longer, but he took a more marginal route across a congested Tooting Bec junction, and then I got stuck behind some cautious riders, so he was away. :-\

I must look out for him again and get what his bike is.

I just remembered.  It was a Daccordi.
Getting there...

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #860 on: 21 April, 2011, 11:04:56 am »

I just remembered.  It was a Daccordi.

Ah, yes.  I have my eye on a very nice Daccordi that's coming up in auction soon.  Mmm.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

« Reply #861 on: 21 April, 2011, 01:56:13 pm »
I'm a big fan of moultons, but..

I'm not sure where to start..
17" wheels, so it's an old one with 'almost impossible to find' tyres.
can be split into 2 parts
pretty unique bars
front dynamo hub AND bottle dyno at the back
SA hub
is that a motorbike box on the back? looks heavy..

« Reply #862 on: 21 April, 2011, 02:03:52 pm »
A 3-speed bike using a new SA, seen in Evans.

http://www.cooperbikes.com/T200-steelracingbike.html

It's a handsome bike. I particularly liked the down-tube lever for the hub gear. However:

Lacks mudguard eyes but has clearances for 35mm tyres. Actually, no braze-ons at all.

Brake levers are the little 2 finger jobs. ffs, it ain't a fixie, put some proper drop levers on it.

It costs over £900
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #863 on: 21 April, 2011, 05:45:45 pm »
A Cannondale MTB with a one-sided front fork. A girt great tube with telescopic suspension. The rider said he doesn't notice its single-sidedness while he's riding, which is reassuring.  :)

And an upright trike with a big basket over the back axle, to which was fixed a number plate MAD 15 ON.

« Reply #864 on: 23 April, 2011, 09:47:16 pm »
Saw what would appear to be a Giant Revive today.   It looked a bit like a bent had sex with my Dahon -- never seen one like it.

Rider looked happy, anyway. :)

« Reply #865 on: 24 April, 2011, 11:56:04 am »
A full suspension trike (basically, a converted BSO) in Lowdham.

Also, the Lowdham Fixie King's ride, which was at the tasteful end of the fixie-fashion spectrum, and had the biggest flanges I've ever seen on a bike.  He was obviously intimidated by our fixed bikes, as we never got to see him - he naffed off while we were in the Co-Op.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #866 on: 24 April, 2011, 10:05:39 pm »
A Cannondale MTB with a one-sided front fork. A girt great tube with telescopic suspension. The rider said he doesn't notice its single-sidedness while he's riding, which is reassuring.  :)
And another one yesterday!

« Reply #867 on: 24 April, 2011, 10:06:25 pm »

Cannondale Lefty.  I've never seen one.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #868 on: 26 April, 2011, 09:47:41 am »
I've seen a few Lefties (the fork, I mean ::-) ) in Londinium, but they still look odd.  Absolutely no reason from an engineering standpoint why they should nto be perfectly acceptable for ordinary riding, but they just look, well, odd.
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #869 on: 26 April, 2011, 09:54:35 am »
Yesterday, near Craven Arms, we saw a Strutt/Orbit Worksong, which I've never seen in the metal before.

We also saw a woman with a Longstaff solo, which looked to be a very large frame for her.  She did have long legs, but this was on the train, so we didn't get to see her riding it.

Loads and loads of bikes on the trains yesterday - probably seven from Craven Arms to Newport, an overfilled bike carriage (thanks to a very helpful guard :thumbsup: ) Newport to London, and even a good half dozen on our local train last night.
Getting there...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #870 on: 27 April, 2011, 11:00:53 pm »

Cannondale Lefty.  I've never seen one.
Yep, Lefty was the name, though the guy I spoke to said Cannondale make a few models with the one-sided fork.

I think one reason it looks so odd is that the single tube extends to the top of the head tube and is attached to it by clamps at two points, like a motorcycle front end. That seems to emphasise the asymmetry.

« Reply #871 on: 02 May, 2011, 10:47:21 pm »
One of these (except all black), locked up outside Thornton's, Broad Street, Reading this morning -

Issa Bobbin Glorie.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #872 on: 02 May, 2011, 11:38:30 pm »
Saw lots of unusual bikes today - a Redmount roller trike, Rainbow recumbent, Burrows 8freight, a triplet, lots of load-carrying bikes. All on the ride to Reach fair.

And, on return in Cambridge, a Kangaroo kiddie carrying trike, and a rather splendid rickshaw styled kiddie carrying trike.  :D
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #873 on: 02 May, 2011, 11:40:13 pm »
Mmm - a breeding pair?

Guesses as to model & special feature?
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

« Reply #874 on: 03 May, 2011, 12:32:00 am »
It's the ladies version of the Wobblebike - the special feature is that you bugger the chainring if you wobble it to the right.  ;D
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...