Author Topic: Lightweight "off the bike" shoes  (Read 9348 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Lightweight "off the bike" shoes
« on: 01 February, 2016, 07:23:58 pm »
I'm looking for some lightweight, easy to pack shoes to wear in the evening whilst cycle touring. Any ideas?

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
Re: Lightweight "off the bike" shoes
« Reply #1 on: 01 February, 2016, 08:17:08 pm »
In for info. :) , slippers probably no good, I did think flip flops at one point...
Regards,

Joergen

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 01 February, 2016, 08:20:35 pm »
I'm in the "SPD sandals for everything" camp, but that's no good if you want to use road shoes.

How much walking?  How much wet grass?

« Reply #3 on: 01 February, 2016, 08:23:24 pm »
If it's just for slouching around a campsite or pub, crocs?

They're lightweight and can just be hung off the rack/panniers. I've been using keen sandals with an enclosed toe, can't remember the exact name* but they're great on flat pedals too.

edit: just checked and they're newport and arroyo
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4 on: 01 February, 2016, 08:25:49 pm »
I'll probably be wearing SPD sandals on the bike. I'd like something that has a closed toe in case the campsite grass is a bit wet. And something that looks "normal" so as not to scare the local civilians.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #5 on: 01 February, 2016, 08:28:53 pm »
I've used Crocs for this purpose before but they're not that "normal" hence seeking an alternative.

« Reply #6 on: 01 February, 2016, 08:30:15 pm »
Jingas? You can get 'em for much cheaper than the headline price if you're not too fussy about colour (I've some Arabian Nights ones). They're a bit flimsy, but great for getting out of your cycling shoes.

« Reply #7 on: 01 February, 2016, 08:33:02 pm »
If you fancy a trainer, New balance m10?

I've got a pair in black that fit into my pannier side pocket. Weigh very little and fold flat.

Just avoid the weird coloured ones!
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

« Reply #8 on: 01 February, 2016, 08:35:19 pm »
I took lightweight innov8 trail shoes on our big tour which came in handy on the rough ripio in S America.

Psychler

• Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........
  • 33.2 miles from Steeple Bumpstead
« Reply #9 on: 01 February, 2016, 08:35:32 pm »
I use Decathlon Kalenji lightweight running shoes - they were only about a tenner.
I'm gonna limp to the pub and drink 'til the rest of me is as numb as my arse.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10 on: 01 February, 2016, 08:35:39 pm »
I'll probably be wearing SPD sandals on the bike. I'd like something that has a closed toe in case the campsite grass is a bit wet. And something that looks "normal" so as not to scare the local civilians.

I add SealSkinz socks for the wet campsite.  You can get away with black socks and black sandals in poor light, but I tend not to worry too much about that sort of thing, because I have  a) a recumbent  and b) a Computer Science degree, so socks and sandals go with the territory.

Crocs are the obvious one, but they look worse than sandals IMO.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #11 on: 01 February, 2016, 08:36:32 pm »

« Reply #12 on: 01 February, 2016, 08:40:07 pm »

Crocs are the obvious one, but they look worse than sandals IMO.

Mincing around a campsite wearing lycra, dayglo and a funny plastic hat, Crocs tend to get overlooked  ;D

« Reply #13 on: 01 February, 2016, 08:40:25 pm »
See Reply 17 on this thread:

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=93423.msg1926074#msg1926074

Very similar question to what you are asking.

« Reply #14 on: 01 February, 2016, 08:47:17 pm »
Hi,

Espadrilles +1. I like Toms every pair you buy then they give another to someone in need.

« Reply #15 on: 01 February, 2016, 10:11:03 pm »

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #16 on: 02 February, 2016, 12:09:38 am »
I take Crocs, but they're not really that good if you want to walk around or look smart. Though it depends where you are; I've worked in offices where Crocs were perfectly acceptable at any and all levels.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #17 on: 02 February, 2016, 01:59:39 am »
Crocs would get my vote- incredibly light, can strap to saddle bag, perfect when it's muddy, you can go in the shower with them and even wear them in there if you really want to. You can leave them outside your tent and it doesn't matter if it rains. Plus no one will ever steal them  ;D

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #18 on: 02 February, 2016, 02:44:26 am »
Jingas? You can get 'em for much cheaper than the headline price if you're not too fussy about colour (I've some Arabian Nights ones). They're a bit flimsy, but great for getting out of your cycling shoes.
Where can you get them cheap? I've looked at these before, but not found many for less than £40 (except obscure sizes).

« Reply #19 on: 02 February, 2016, 09:48:09 am »
Plus no one will ever steal them  ;D

Sadly, someone stole a pair from someone I know!  Might have been the wildlife, but why take the pair?

« Reply #20 on: 02 February, 2016, 04:30:23 pm »
http://www.charlesclinkard.co.uk/men-c9/trainers-c12/gowalk-2-mens-slip-on-trainers-p17361
I  am going to try these next, they weigh around 300g a pair and can be bought cheaper than Clinkards offer them at, if you can stand a visit to some of the discount factory outlet type places.
Crocs are light but bulky ,IMHO.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #21 on: 02 February, 2016, 05:01:46 pm »
If you fancy a trainer, New balance m10?

I've got a pair in black that fit into my pannier side pocket. Weigh very little and fold flat.

Just avoid the weird coloured ones!

A trainer type shoe might fit the bill as my 3 year old The North Face pair, which I wear most days, are starting to fall apart so in need of replacement.  When I Google New Balance M10 THIS is what I find; are these the shoes you mean?

« Reply #22 on: 02 February, 2016, 05:06:39 pm »
Where can you get them cheap? I've looked at these before, but not found many for less than £40 (except obscure sizes).

Bought mine for a fiver from Sports Direct. Currently £17, timing is everything.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #23 on: 02 February, 2016, 05:08:16 pm »
I just use a pair of these, with or without Sealskinz. - http://www.office.co.uk/view/product/office_catalog/5,21/1571701158

Crocs are too bulky for bike, but they're my preference when walking.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #24 on: 02 February, 2016, 05:19:03 pm »
Hi Tec Zuuks
http://www.hi-tec.co.uk/search?q=zuuk

Right, I've taken the plunge and for a few pennies less than £18 bought a bright blue pair of these ^^^.  I'm starting to get revved up for an Up North tour in June which currently includes at night out in Huddersfield; I'm sure the locals are going to love my new shoes - what's the worst that could happen?  ;D