Author Topic: Brompton Luggage  (Read 10978 times)

jellied

• skip to the end
    • Ealing Bike Hub
Brompton Luggage
« on: 10 October, 2009, 09:55:26 pm »
Grabbed the chance to check the Brompton stall at the CycleSHow and was most impressed - sort of decided on the "S"  bag but was less impressed with the price.

£90 !

Firstly what is the frame carrier they talk of? I've worked what the frame carrier block is [£15!] but no idea what the frame is?

Secondly are they are other options i.e. non-Brompton makers?
A shitter and a giggler.

Re: Brompton Luggage
« Reply #1 on: 10 October, 2009, 10:13:52 pm »
The frame carrier fits into the back of the bag, and goes onto the block. It should come as part of the bag.

I bought an S bag for my S model, there isn't really any alternative and it's very convenient - if not waterproof!

jellied

• skip to the end
    • Ealing Bike Hub
« Reply #2 on: 10 October, 2009, 10:27:14 pm »
Not water proof - sigh.

Looking at more detail the Brompton site quotes three prices which makes sense now - with frame, with carrier block and just bag.

http://www.brompton.co.uk/explorer/accessories/index.asp?view=9#

Do you have to have the frame? Looks a pain to have to have it on the bike or part of the bag.

A shitter and a giggler.

« Reply #3 on: 10 October, 2009, 10:41:44 pm »
It won't go on the block without the frame. I guess they sell the bag without the frame as a replacement if the bag wears out, so you can use the original frame.

I mean to try waterproofing the bag with a Nikwax spray sometime. It's the stuff in the top pocket which gets wet - such as the TfL cycle maps I keep in there!

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: 10 October, 2009, 11:14:56 pm »
After considering buying a Brompton-specific bag, I decided against it and go with my Carradice Camper Longflap on an oversized SQR block for my Brommie.  Unlike a Brompton bag, it doesn't interfere with the fold and I can use it on my other bikes.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #5 on: 11 October, 2009, 08:00:07 am »
How long are your trips?

howies® - Chevron Bag

The best cycling accessory I've ever bought.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Sigurd Mudtracker

« Reply #6 on: 11 October, 2009, 10:00:09 am »
The frame carrier fits into the back of the bag, and goes onto the block. It should come as part of the bag.

I bought an S bag for my S model, there isn't really any alternative and it's very convenient - if not waterproof!

They say it shouldn't, but my original Brompton pannier (steel frame) fits my new S6L.  I went out and bought a S-bag as well but have been a bit disappointed in it - some pretty useless pockets on the corners and back that secure (loosely) with velcro, and the main compartment isn't exactly voluminous.  Looks stylish, but I am still hankering after a C-bag and may just take my chances with the bars...  I believe a new S-bag is on the cards for next year.

jellied

• skip to the end
    • Ealing Bike Hub
« Reply #7 on: 11 October, 2009, 06:26:46 pm »

How does the bag upset the fold if the frame thing is part of the bag? Or does the frame stay on the block?

I'm tempted with the Howies back, but want some additional luggage when i'm abroad - so that involves a back bag. The idea of the S bag meant i could carry a little something extra and still have a back pack.

For short trips the S bag would be used for whatever i need, for the few days away type trips the back back would take the laptop, clothes and the front bag anything extra that doesn't fit elsewhere.

the messenger bag is planned for the new bike that probably will not have panniers.

Sigurd - would you care to part with your "S" bag?
A shitter and a giggler.

Sigurd Mudtracker

« Reply #8 on: 11 October, 2009, 08:12:10 pm »

Sigurd - would you care to part with your "S" bag?

Perhaps, if I can convince myself that a C-bag would work OK

OTOH, a smaller bag could be useful - the original Brompton pannier has accurately been described as an "antifairing", and the S-bag at least presents a smaller profile to the wind.

John the Monkey

« Reply #9 on: 11 October, 2009, 08:16:42 pm »
Perhaps, if I can convince myself that a C-bag would work OK

OTOH, a smaller bag could be useful - the original Brompton pannier has accurately been described as an "antifairing", and the S-bag at least presents a smaller profile to the wind.

The place I'm getting my S3 from have specced a C-bag for mine.  I did say "Shouldn't that be an 'S' bag?" and the chap in the shop told me that the C bag is 1) much better and 2) works just fine with the S bars.  We'll see, I guess.  The shop is Harry Hall Cycles in Manchester, they do know their stuff.

« Reply #10 on: 11 October, 2009, 08:27:42 pm »
After considering buying a Brompton-specific bag, I decided against it and go with my Carradice Camper Longflap on an oversized SQR block for my Brommie.  Unlike a Brompton bag, it doesn't interfere with the fold and I can use it on my other bikes.

Thats the set up I was thinking of using. Do you use the extended seat post, or will this work with the standard one?

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: 11 October, 2009, 09:58:38 pm »
I use the extended post, 'cos I'm a bit lanky.  The SQR block will mean that you can't get the seat post down all the way on a standard.  But not by much.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #12 on: 11 October, 2009, 11:32:33 pm »
Not water proof - sigh.

Looking at more detail the Brompton site quotes three prices which makes sense now - with frame, with carrier block and just bag.

http://www.brompton.co.uk/explorer/accessories/index.asp?view=9#

Do you have to have the frame? Looks a pain to have to have it on the bike or part of the bag.

If you want to try it, you're welcome to borrow mine for a week or so. On the days when I use the Brompton for work it's useful (but if I need to use the Brompton, I can use my regular bag).
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

John the Monkey

« Reply #13 on: 13 October, 2009, 09:15:57 am »
More C bag on S-bar stuff, this time on Flickr;

Bike on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

From the comments;
yes and yes. it works just fine with the small (s type bars) and it's on just the standard bag frame so, despite what Brompton say, there's just enough clearance for the breaks and the handle etc ...

I looked at the s type bag but it was just too small for laptop n stuff ...

Sigurd Mudtracker

« Reply #14 on: 13 October, 2009, 09:40:52 pm »
This photo shows a bit more.

I'm feeling a pain in the credit card area....

« Reply #15 on: 13 October, 2009, 11:34:00 pm »

How does the bag upset the fold if the frame thing is part of the bag? Or does the frame stay on the block?

No problems.

The block stays on the frame and is nothing more than an unobtrusive lump of plastic on the front.

The frame unclips (one thumb quick release lever, so one hand presses the button and the other hand lifts the frame+bag off the bike).

Fold bike as usual.

Walk away balanced with bag in one hand and bike in the other.

This information is based on my bike, 2004 vintage.

edit.

Block is seen on this page, top left photo.
carrying a Brompton by nuttycyclist.co.uk

Bike with bag is photographed on this page.
bikes at nuttycyclist.co.uk

John the Monkey

« Reply #16 on: 14 October, 2009, 08:47:04 am »
I do like that you fold the bike by hitting the front brake hard, Nutty - makes me grin every time I read that bit of the article.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #17 on: 15 October, 2009, 10:44:46 am »
You can't fold the bike with the bag in situ, but you can put the bag back on its block once the bike is folded. I also like the fact that, as already mentioned, you can leave the bag in place with the rear wheel flipped under, which you can't do with panniers on a rear rack.

I bought an S bag because it was either that or the pannier at the time I bought it. I didn't know about the C bag (is it new?) or I might have got one of those. But I love the S bag and all its pockets - it fulfils the role of a briefcase for me. It's smaller than the C bag but still a useful size. And it seems reasonably water-resistant to me - I've only had a problem with water penetration in prolonged heavy rain.

Only thing I don't like is that it's not idiot proof...

The mobile phone pocket on the side is actually too small for my mobile phone. I once put my keys in it after unlocking the bike outside Tescos and by the time I got home, I'd forgotten they were there so thought I'd lost them en route. I shook the bag to see if I could hear them rattling but the pocket is so tight that there was no noise. Ended up having to ruin my lock to remove it from the frame. Eventually rediscovered the keys about six months later.  ::-)

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

jellied

• skip to the end
    • Ealing Bike Hub
« Reply #18 on: 15 October, 2009, 11:39:07 am »
It's coming together - I borrowed an "S" bag last night from Mr ZH and will test drive it next week.

If I do splash out on something I'm not sure the larger "C" is a good idea, I'd just be tempted to over load the thing but we'll see.

An interesting bag-to-bag comparison here [which is a phrase one rarely hears]

http://sevenleagueboots.wordpress.com/2009/05/02/brompton-luggage-c-bag-or-s-bag/
A shitter and a giggler.

John the Monkey

« Reply #19 on: 27 October, 2009, 08:47:07 am »
Just further confirmation that the C-bag is ok with with S bars.

Picked up my bike yesterday, and rode it home with the C-bag fitted, no bother at all.

Sigurd Mudtracker

« Reply #20 on: 27 October, 2009, 06:48:26 pm »
Don't! 

;D ;D ;D

John the Monkey

« Reply #21 on: 28 October, 2009, 12:28:38 pm »
Don't! 

;D ;D ;D

I've not mentioned how jolly nice it is yet though.... ;)

Sigurd Mudtracker

« Reply #22 on: 28 October, 2009, 09:23:58 pm »
Don't! 

;D ;D ;D

I've not mentioned how jolly nice it is yet though.... ;)

Any chance of a picture?

Sigurd Mudtracker

« Reply #23 on: 28 October, 2009, 10:01:46 pm »
Just wondering how I can justify having a Brompton pannier AND a S-bag AND a C-bag.

Maybe it's a (male) cyclist's version of the (woman's) handbag thing.

John the Monkey

« Reply #24 on: 29 October, 2009, 09:42:37 am »
Pics of the bag mounted on the bike (sorry about the quality, the flash sent the reflectives a bit bonkers).

(Click to embiggen, etc)

I'm sure the pics make the clearances seem tighter than they are.  The bag is empty here, but on the way home was fairly full.  Let me know if you want pics of the interior &c