Author Topic: OK. So I Bought One . . .  (Read 14967 times)

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
OK. So I Bought One . . .
« on: 12 October, 2009, 11:23:55 pm »
In fact - two.

Of these.

Here's the fold

I'll probably have to rebuild them both when I get them but WTF? What can you expect when you get the PAIR for less than £250?

Did I do wrong?

J
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Sigurd Mudtracker

Re: OK. So I Bought One . . .
« Reply #1 on: 13 October, 2009, 09:36:46 pm »
Did I do wrong?

Absolutely, it's not a Brompton!  This is after all the Brompton forum!   ;D ;D ;D

But seriously, I would be interested in how it turns out - not least because my mother having had a shot on my Brompton seems to be quite keen on a folder but balks at the price.  I've suggested things like the cheaper Dahon Speeds, but she keeps asking me about things much, much cheaper - like yours.

alan

« Reply #2 on: 13 October, 2009, 10:47:36 pm »

Did I do wrong?

J

Absolutely NOT.
I bought Marj a Trek 400 so that she could step thru'the frame  at a time when her knee wouldn't allow a leg-over.
I borrowed it to ride from the caravan to the toilets whilst on the Knavesmire at the CTC Rally & was so impressed with it I went down the LBS on the Monday afternoon when we got back & bought another one for myself.
I sometimes nip into the village on it to fetch bread/milk/newspaper.I also used it to do a couple of 30 mile rides around Bellingham when we spent a few days up there last year exploring Hadrians Wall etc..
They fit into the back of the XC70 a treat for taking them out at weekends"just in case" when Marj's knee was better than it is now & will be again.
It's possible to carry a suprising amount of luggage using two small panniers & a rack bag at the back & a Bar bag up front.
The ride is comfy(a la 30 miles referred to above),the 7x2 gear range with twist grip is faultless.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #3 on: 13 October, 2009, 11:13:54 pm »
This is very much an experiment, its a bonding exercise with my eldest son, an attempt to spend a little 'dad time' with him at weekends cos monday to friday I'm out before he's awake and its dark before I get home.

We will be using the bikes for short rides after train journeys because I hate walking! The station is only a mile from home and having experienced a packed train with a bike - I ended up standing in the aisle with my full sus mtb on its back wheel - I wanted a folder so the bike would be as unobtrusive as poss.

As I said earlier, I expect to have to dismantle and rebuild these bikes - nuts, bolts and ball bearings - and at least assemble them correctly before riding them. The stripdown will reveal everything I need to know about the build quality and the likely longevity of the components.

In an attempt to break the stranglehold and maybe introduce forumites to folders that aren't Bromptons, if all goes well then I will update this thread or start a new one along the lines of 'I bought this cheap folder and it's not a Brompton - The Horror! The Horror!'

Watch this space . . .

J
VELOMANCER

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #4 on: 13 October, 2009, 11:18:53 pm »
OK I admit it.

It's also because the last new bike I ever got was my 1979 Falcon and I figured 30 years was long enough to wait  ;D
VELOMANCER

« Reply #5 on: 13 October, 2009, 11:28:07 pm »
Interesting looking bikes.  What are they?

I ended up with the Brompton due to the fold size (the Dahon's I'd looked at for price were an awkward folded shap/size).   That fold looks like it might be a good compromise between Brompton price and Dahon size.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #6 on: 13 October, 2009, 11:40:50 pm »
Interesting looking bikes.  What are they?

It's called a'Mission' and the model is 'Space Genie' They claim 28"x24"x12" and 13 kilo weight. The websites appear to be retailing them for around £240.

I bought two off the 'bay from the same seller for less than that. The thing that attracted me was the fold so let's wait and see if they are worth the money.

They appear to be as close to a Brompton as possible without infringing the copyright

J
VELOMANCER

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #7 on: 15 October, 2009, 02:59:09 pm »
The manufacturer is Oyama.  I couldn't get the saddle high enough on a Space Genie, have they improved that?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #8 on: 15 October, 2009, 03:11:35 pm »
The manufacturer is Oyama.  I couldn't get the saddle high enough on a Space Genie, have they improved that?

Dunno. They haven't landed yet. (Bounces up and down in anticipation)

J
VELOMANCER

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #9 on: 16 October, 2009, 09:26:49 pm »
Just had word from the courier. Won't be landing until Monday.

Weekend would have been nice but hey ho . . .

Nowt to do but wait.
VELOMANCER

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #10 on: 17 October, 2009, 09:54:55 pm »
I'd be interested in the report on the fold and how they cope in general. I haven't bought a bike for whole DAYS NOW!
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #11 on: 19 October, 2009, 11:39:42 pm »
Got them tonight.

Initial impressions. They look like they were worth the money. The fold is ok but the seatpost is a complete pain in the arse. The seatpost is pvc shimmed and a really tight fit in the frame.

As I expected I am going to have to strip them nut for bolt and lube and assemble everything properly.

The bike has a kickstand which is totally unnecessary as the fold - a la Brompton  - puts the back of the bike on the carrier complete with jockey wheels. The saddle, grips and pedals are cack. Bin and upgrade immediately. Reasonable quality brakes (Alhonga v-brakes), alloy rims and hubs.

William's bike will need a shorter seatpost and some flat bars. I want to see how it rides before we do any serious upgrades.

I can't do any work before the weekend so I will post piccies and further details after then.

luv'n'stuff

J
VELOMANCER

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #12 on: 26 October, 2009, 10:04:11 am »
Got them tonight.

Initial impressions. They look like they were worth the money. The fold is ok but the seatpost is a complete pain in the arse. The seatpost is pvc shimmed and a really tight fit in the frame.

You'd have thought there was a saddle... ;) ;) ;D

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #13 on: 26 October, 2009, 11:16:32 pm »

You'd have thought there was a saddle... ;) ;) ;D

At the price I paid I was prepared for almost anything. Collected from Dad's, this shows them folded in the back of the ovloV

And this gives you some idea of how crap the saddles actually are . . .

Not off work until weekend - unless I wag it! - so more on mods and set up later.

J
VELOMANCER

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #14 on: 26 October, 2009, 11:20:40 pm »
Lesson learned. From now on I am not going to use the crappy camera on the phone to take any pics I might want to keep.

J
VELOMANCER

« Reply #15 on: 25 November, 2009, 05:54:24 pm »
So, have you gained any further insights yet?  :D
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #16 on: 26 November, 2009, 10:16:27 pm »
OK. Belated first impressions.

1. 15 seconds to fold - My arse!

2. Heavy.

3. Poor assembly/build quality.

Interim conclusion: There's little to be gained from trying to use these now as they need extensive rebuilding and certain components changes - even at the lowest setting William is have trouble reaching the floor and up to the bars at the same time.

J

VELOMANCER

Sigurd Mudtracker

« Reply #17 on: 27 November, 2009, 09:06:34 pm »
Hmmm.  Thought that might be your conclusion.

After a week's loan of my Brompton my parents were enthusiastic about the idea of a folding bike.  I kept trying to tell them why a £200 folding klapprad wouldn't be quite the same as a Brompton S6L.  So far they haven't taken the plunge but can see that I'll be selling something on eBay in a few years' time, bought on eBay and spent a couple of years sitting in the back of the garage...

There is an intrinsic problem here that bicycles are regarded by non-cyclists as low rent items that aren't worth spending the money on.  So they don't and their preconceptions are confirmed... and so the cycle goes on. (pun not intended)

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #18 on: 29 November, 2009, 09:31:31 pm »
Don't get me wrong, there's some stuff we can do to improve these bikes. It's just that we won't be able to sort them until after the winter.

The bikes may be best if we simplify them. Straight bars and singlespeed may be the way to go. The basic frame quality is there, it's just let down by some shite components . . .

J
VELOMANCER

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #19 on: 30 March, 2010, 11:14:25 pm »
So, Sunday was reasonable weather and I had a little fettle of one of the 'Frankenfolder'

First impressions of the ride were like it's got a hinge in the middle . . .

. . . Oh! Hang on a mo', it sort of has . . .

It doesn't look too bad. As I thought, the saddle is a piece of sh1te and will be the first thing to get binned.

I have acquired a new folding stem which cants the bars forward a touch. When fitted I am hoping that it will put some weight over the front wheel cos it feels like its going to flip when you set off.

Were they worth the money?

Only time and more fettling will tell.

Stay tuned - keep this frequency clear.

J
VELOMANCER

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #20 on: 18 April, 2010, 10:57:42 pm »
Done a little more fettling . . .

, , , changed the bars & stem . . .

. . . added a different saddle . . .

Now it feels more like a bike and less of a contraption. Better balanced with flat bars and the new stem.

This week it did what it was bought for, the car was in for servicing so the journey to work was completed by bike. In that respect it was comfortable, competent and capable. I wouldn't like to go much further on it but for journeys of a couple of miles or so it is quite useful.

It's not a Brompton but then it didn't cost anything like that sort of money. Its a compromise but then it's a folder.

Stay tuned, folks.

J
VELOMANCER

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #21 on: 24 April, 2010, 01:21:11 pm »
Right. I'm happy with the basic set up but want, now, to do a little customizing.

Let's freefall for a moment or two.

I fancy an SRAM Spectro or similar, dual sided SPDs, alloy bars and some cute ergo stylee combi bar ends and grips.

Over to you guys. The only things you can't change are the frame and forks cos -

I STILL DON'T WANNA BROMPTON!!!!!!!!!!!
VELOMANCER

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #22 on: 24 April, 2010, 06:52:32 pm »
8 Speed Alfine. Gets rid of the Oily bits for transport. I got one on the Arthur (Cannondale) and it is smooth to use and is a wide enough range for most situations!
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #23 on: 25 April, 2010, 01:48:59 am »
8 Speed Alfine. Gets rid of the Oily bits for transport. I got one on the Arthur (Cannondale) and it is smooth to use and is a wide enough range for most situations!

Yeah, I was thinking along those lines.

What would be a conversion cost? Any idea?
VELOMANCER

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #24 on: 29 April, 2010, 03:13:12 pm »
Update.

We have now fettled # 1 son's Frankenfolder. (Narrow riser bars and junior saddle.)

Will be taking these away with us this weekend to Anglesey. Report and pics to follow.
VELOMANCER