Author Topic: OK. So I Bought One . . .  (Read 14964 times)

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Re: OK. So I Bought One . . .
« Reply #25 on: 04 May, 2010, 11:12:26 pm »
Returned last night from deepest, darkest, Welsh Wales having spent the weekend basking in the Spring sunshine, playing on our folders and eating ice cream.

No. 1 son was ecstatic over his bike and was inseparable from it for much of the weekend. Saturday evening found him playing with a bunch of other kids on the campsite, jumping it over an improvised ramp!  :o

We went for a couple of rides and Wow! Instant 'Rent-a-crowd' time! 'Where do you get those'? 'How much were they'? 'Are those Bromptons'? And, memorably, some kids 'Worrr! Sick!' and a middle aged couple 'Oh! Look at those! Folding bikes. We should get some!'

How nice to get such a positive reaction!

On the fettling front I really need a longer seatpost and the handlebar stem creaks ominously but I haven't greased it yet (It's a good job cos we left the bikes in my Mum's caravan as we're back there in 4 weeks. If she knew she'd go bananas!). Handlingwise they go downhill quite fast, steer quite posititvely and, if you're 9, they're not a bad freestyle bike, either!
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #26 on: 22 May, 2010, 01:16:37 am »
I've been without my folder for nearly 3 weeks and you would not believe the number of times I've felt the need for it in that time.

I'm not going to be easily separated from it again, I'll tell you.

Big mistake leaving it in Wales.
VELOMANCER

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #27 on: 14 July, 2010, 05:57:16 pm »
Come on Guys!

It's turning into 'Brompton Newsround' again . . .
VELOMANCER

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #28 on: 30 August, 2010, 12:18:18 am »
We've just got back from Anglesey where we had to leave our Folders behind, yet again! Sorry, son! It's a Volvo not the Tardis!

But I finally got the chance to picture the two bikes side by side to show the limits of adjustment and the different set-ups for me and William.

William's is pretty much standard but for the low rise bars, reversed saddle clamp and junior saddle . . .

Mine too has had a change of stem, bars and saddle . . .

And the two together

One thing I don't understand is  . . .

. . . when they are this easy to fold why fit them with a stand?

J

. . . not all folders are Brompton . . .
VELOMANCER

Seineseeker

• Biting the cherry of existential delight
    • The Art of Pleisure
« Reply #29 on: 30 August, 2010, 12:32:49 am »
Respect is due to you Tors!!! Keep it coming. I hope you can make them worth, the proof will be in the photos of them not in your back garden but out on the road!

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #30 on: 30 August, 2010, 12:45:43 pm »
How high is that bottom bracket? :o
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #31 on: 30 August, 2010, 01:39:49 pm »
How high is that bottom bracket? :o

Is it not the same as a Br*m*t*n?  ;D
VELOMANCER

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #32 on: 12 February, 2011, 08:56:15 pm »
Thanks, T'landa - good write up of a topic on which little is written; budget folders.Everyone's so snobby on bike forums!

My daughter may be getting one (not sure of brand, yet) as her everyday bike soon.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #33 on: 13 February, 2011, 01:44:31 pm »
Thanks, T'landa - good write up of a topic on which little is written; budget folders.Everyone's so snobby on bike forums!

It's nice to be appreciated. Hopefully we'll get more use out of these this year as holidays are likely to be domestic this year as opposed to furrin'.
VELOMANCER

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #34 on: 08 March, 2011, 12:20:18 am »
I've been musing over 'improvements/upgrades' to my bike.

I want to singlespeed it. It's never going to do LEL or LeJoG so why does it need gears? It's a folder, its longest journey will be about 2 or 3 miles max. Gears just mean something else to damage while it's folded in the boot or the shed.

Here's the thing. Can I find any 16" (349) singlespeed wheels? Can I buxton! To buy a quality wheel from the Bandits of Bridgwater would be close to what I paid for the bike originally.

So does anyone have any suggestions? I'm quite prepared to cannibalise the existing hub and I'm pretty good with a spoke key but where the hell do I find a decent quality alloy screw on hub in 28 hole?

I'm not made of Dura Ace . . .
VELOMANCER

« Reply #35 on: 23 March, 2011, 06:07:10 pm »

"Bandits of Bridgwater"

Ha ha, excellent! I have often scoffed at some of their prices, but then they do offer parts that nobody else seems to.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #36 on: 04 May, 2011, 09:46:32 pm »
Last weeks holiday was a 'Burger too far!' I took our folders and rode mine every day - ish.

It creaked alarmingly! I'm too bloody fat. Anyway it didn't collapse, I rode it for very short distances. I still wonder why anyone bothered with gears, as a single speeder it would be so much simpler.

Not much else to tell you ATM, hopefully as I ride the 'proper' bike(s) further and faster in the build up to Summer I'll lose a little weight and the poor thing will stop saying 'Oi! One-at-a-bloody time!' when I sit on it.
VELOMANCER

tbikerider

« Reply #37 on: 12 May, 2011, 09:27:52 am »
Have riden a Dahon Matrix folder for the past four years, took the original slicks off and changed to Continental Explorers, done lots of miles mostly off road and lots of singletrack stuff.  No problem with the bike and it folds nicely into the back of my wee fiat.  When I got the bike there was a tiny sticker on it saying something like 'not to be used off road' so I took that sticker off and ignored it.  I've given the bike moderate abuse and ist still doing fine.  Oh, btw I found this site when checking up on the Cromarty ferry a couple of months ago.  Latest news is that the ferry company have a new boat being christened by Penelope Keith on 18/05/11 with the service starting on the 19th.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #38 on: 12 May, 2011, 10:51:50 am »
Absolutely NOT.

I bought Marj a Trek 400 so that she could step thru'the frame  at a time when her knee wouldn't allow a leg-over.

Hope the problem's sorted Alan  ;)  :demon: